Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,217,702 times

Advertisements

looks sort of cheesy to me. But what else can you do to hide the raised porch open sides?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2011, 12:56 PM

733 posts, read 4,654,092 times
It's called lattice. If you don't like the diagonal version, you can get it "straight" in a checkerboard pattern. Or, rather than using pre-manufactured panels, buy strips and arrange them in any geometric pattern you like.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:17 PM

I'm not sure I like the look in any way shape or form. The only other think I can think of are shrubs though.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:31 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I like lattice. Not that it matters, it's your house. I also cannot think of anything else besides shrubs.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:54 PM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,981 times
Out of the box idea, depending on your location, house orientation/sun exposure, local HOA restrictions, height and personal interest:

1) Convert it into a mini greenhouse garden with slanted glass covering and mini raised beds.

2) Put a mini-wall (can be constructed of painted concrete blocks, bricks, pressure treated lumber, fiberglass panels, whatever - about two feet back underneath the porch and put in raised flower beds.

What is your geographic region, the height of the bottom edge of the porch? Neighborhood environment - development, isolated, ???

Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 AM

I did do a little googling. I did see some not big box store cheapo that looked better to me windtimber. I also got the idea that lattice is sort of a Victorian, or at least two story wood house, 'look'. So maybe that it is on a brick ranch is part of my problem. I have seen 'brick lattice' but I didn't like that much either. One one forum people were talking about black wire and black chain link, framed out with a wide wooden border, for a backyard deck. I actually liked the sounds of that although I'm not sure about for a front porch. You just need to make sure there's enough wire for ventilation which probably isn't a huge amount in Ohio, not like 365 humid Louisiana or Mississippi or anything.
I'll continue to try to come up with ideas but if I end up with this house it may be the solution is a nicer lattice, painted differently, then some plants.

Old 01-16-2011, 03:23 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
You could not put anything there and just put in landscape rocks to make it look 'finished'. Most people put up lattice to hide the dirt under a deck. I am assuming you are talking about a deck that is only a foot or two off the ground and not something on the back of the house 10 feet off the ground. If you are talking about something that is 10' off the ground, put in a screened porch under the deck. Someone down the road from us did that and it is a wonderful use of space. They put some screening under the boards of the deck to keep bugs out too.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:26 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,063,260 times
I had our carpenter add some framing below the deck and cover it with Hardi-Panel stucco textured siding, with a couple aluminum vents on each side. Painted grey it look very similar to the concrete foundation.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:22 PM

2,063 posts, read 7,783,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
looks sort of cheesy to me. But what else can you do to hide the raised porch open sides?
There are some places that are hard to cover or disguise and I agree lattice isn't the prettiest thing to look at. You could try to dress up the lattice with flowering vines depending on how much sun you get and if you are willing to do some plant care. Combined with some low growing plants or shrubs would make it look even better.

I did a quick Google search to find a few examples:

Clematis | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/13687027@N00/88324852/ - broken link)

Backyard Wedding Flowers & Plants ~ Maureen "MO" Gilmer ~ MO Plants (http://www.moplants.com/wedding/backyard_wedding_flowers.php - broken link)

Picasa Web Albums - hankmoorlag

Old 01-21-2011, 12:56 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
You could not put anything there and just put in landscape rocks to make it look 'finished'. Most people put up lattice to hide the dirt under a deck. I am assuming you are talking about a deck that is only a foot or two off the ground and not something on the back of the house 10 feet off the ground. If you are talking about something that is 10' off the ground, put in a screened porch under the deck. Someone down the road from us did that and it is a wonderful use of space. They put some screening under the boards of the deck to keep bugs out too.
Why would someone have a deck that is 10 feet off the ground? Would that be to fit the contour of a hilly area or something? Or is that a deck that comes off the second floor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House