Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 04:23 PM

5,892 posts, read 6,958,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_RDNC View Post
I'm not going to go back and fourth on the details of components or even design the bloody system for the OP. I was only trying to offer suggestions to him on items he should consider when looking into his HT. I presume he'd get a proper electrician (and probably a HT consultant) to do the room right.
I enjoy and learn from your postings on CD. I was just questioning the specific comment of one benefit of adding the subpanel. Those planning a HT may not need the added expense of adding one. The rest of your original comments brought up things I wouldn't have thought about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 06:36 AM

564 posts, read 873,473 times
Quote:
I'm not going to go back and fourth on the details of components or even design the bloody system for the OP. I was only trying to offer suggestions to him on items he should consider when looking into his HT. I presume he'd get a proper electrician (and probably a HT consultant) to do the room right.

I've never designed a Home Theater, (I have designed quite a few rooms housing sensitive and EXPENSIVE computers, and figured the concepts were pretty similar - except the OP probably isn't concerned about getting Tempest compliance! )

I agree that the electrical work should be performed by a proper electrician. However, I think people can save a significant amount of money by doing a bit of research on their own. In many cases, people will end up with a better design as well. I just completed my third HT (have moved a few times) and I have yet to see anything at even twice the price that can match what I have.

Old 08-01-2011, 03:00 PM

97 posts, read 190,478 times
If you have the time to do the reading, you can do a remarkably good DIY design job. Starting with new construction makes it *much* easier! Some tips, learned from my one (shockingly successful) attempt:

There are all sorts of screen size / distance / height calculators. See Dolby Labs' recs for optimum speaker positioning and consider Audyssey DSX placement options as well.

Do *not* use in-wall speakers unless aesthetics trumps sound quality for your purposes. If you want truly visceral subsonics, dual (or more!) subs are a must for a room volume like you've got. Multiples will fill the large space much more effectively, and will also go a long way toward eliminating nulls/peaks in the bass response.

Put the gear in a rack in a conditioned and exhausted closet, ideally with a door on the back side as well (for easy access to the rear of the equipment). And use a few wire management looms. You will thank yourself 1000 times for this!

Put in at least a couple dedicated AC circuits.

Run LV conduit between the display area(s...overhead PJ and front flat panel) and the equipment location. Never know what cables you'll need in a couple years...

Ditto the AVS Forums rec.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:50 PM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
There are a lot of good points made, but lets not drift away from the original posting about a HT going in an existing Bonus Room, (my guess above a garage). There are a lot more concerns when trying to adapt an existing space rather than being able to build-from-scratch.

Old 08-02-2011, 05:29 AM

564 posts, read 873,473 times
Quote:
There are a lot of good points made, but lets not drift away from the original posting about a HT going in an existing Bonus Room, (my guess above a garage). There are a lot more concerns when trying to adapt an existing space rather than being able to build-from-scratch.
If working with an existing space, it will be difficult to do much with sound isolation, unless someone is willing to tear out the walls. The room is only as good at its weakest point. However, you can address most acoustical issues (relating to sound quality) with an existing room by using either commercially available solutions or various DIY options.

As said before, the use of a qualified electrician is necessary. Beyond that, most people should be able to do everything else themselves as it really is not that hard (provided you do a bit of homework).

Old 08-02-2011, 05:54 AM

97 posts, read 190,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraunch View Post
...about 1100 sq ft of unfinished space...
not sure what 'unfinished' means to the OP, but to me it means open walls & bare subfloor...hence my suggestions.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:56 AM

6 posts, read 7,447 times
As mentioned.... AVS Forum is your friend. I spent a good 6 months just reading and reading build threads... My design kept changing and changing as I read more and more. Started out as a 50" plasma with surround and end up with a 120" screen/projector, stage, theater chairs, riser, popcorn maker, etc.... I "borrowed" tons of ideas from different people.

I did my whole basement (1,900+ sq ft) and theater by myself.... except for drywall & HVAC. Took a couple years, but the finished product exceeded my expectations! Here are a couple pics....

Last edited by Ronnie Fastback; 08-03-2011 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-04-2011, 12:50 AM

2,743 posts, read 4,828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Fastback View Post
.... I did my whole basement (1,900+ sq ft) and theater by myself.... except for drywall & HVAC. Took a couple years, but the finished product exceeded my expectations! Here are a couple pics....
All I got to say is ..... WOW!

About the only thing that would top this would be an indoor pool, ... and I guess that's a different forum!

Old 11-20-2011, 04:21 PM

371 posts, read 1,219,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janster100 View Post
If it is prewired, you probably don't need the help from an outside installer. This will save you some $$$$. You can post here as to what you have and what you want to do or you can send me a message and I can point you in the right direction. As said before, the AVSforum webiste is a great resource. It is a very large HT community and almost every subject is covered. You will also find out many more options for equipment that could offer you better performance and/or much less cost versus only looking at local options.
janster100, I just PMed you with a question. Appreciate you taking time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House