Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:17 AM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased a home and learned that the previous owners treated the crawl space and deck for termites in 2004. They kept an annual warranty with the termite company, which we have been offered to continue. Since the treatment took place, there has been no evidence of termite problems. How long is it advisable to keep these annual warranties? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 11:25 AM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
1) What is the age of the house?

2) What part of the country are you located in/state?

3) WHY did they treat for termites in 2004? Was there an infestation?

Even without knowing the answers to the above, my inclination would be to keep up the bond. For one thing, starting a new bond is expensive. If the previous homeowner went to that expense, that's an advantage for you. Secondly, it is a selling point later for you if you can sell the house with a termite bond. In my part of the country (Florida), most houses come with a bond (unless it's a very old house).

In a lot of ways I think these contracts/warranties are a rip off, but for $200 or so a year, it's good peace of mind if you have a new house (new homes are more susceptible to termites).

Old 08-07-2007, 11:43 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,594,973 times
In a lot of ways I think these contracts/warranties are a rip off, but for $200 or so a year, it's good peace of mind if you have a new house (new homes are more susceptible to termites).[quote]

Good post. I saw no sign of termites but my husband of course listened to some idiot - All State Pest-- a horrible rip off- for the year warranty we were charged 960.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
You really need that yearly inspection. If you don't have it, by the time termite damage is seen, you could be looking at serious damage and expense. Those little boogers can eat fast!!

Our bond states that if any infestation is seen, retreatment is done without any cost. That would save a bundle.

Old 08-07-2007, 12:55 PM

1,261 posts, read 6,105,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
1) What is the age of the house?

2) What part of the country are you located in/state?

3) WHY did they treat for termites in 2004? Was there an infestation?
Thank you all...To answer Riveree's questions, the home is 20 years old. We live in VA. The company treated the deck and crawlspace for evidence of termites. The previous owners kept the warranty after the first year even though the quarterly tests have shown no further evidence of termites.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,999,002 times
Since you live in Virginia, a very humid state ( termites love moisture! ), especially if you live near the coast, I would definitely keep the warranty. We had ours with Gregory Termite in Virginia Beach for 15 years and they did a good job for us. The owner of the company ( Ken ) is also a building inspector and he knows his stuff.

regards...Franco

Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,797 times
Maintaining a termite bond will help you sell when and if you decide to sell.
IMO, it is a small price to pay for peace of mind.
Don

Old 08-09-2007, 03:15 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
If you decide to keep the warranty be sure you read it throughly.
In FL there are 2 kinds of termites, not sure if that is the case in VA but if it is will the warranty cover both kinds? One requires tenting, the others one in ground treatment.
If you have warranty dry wood and then get subterrain termites it might not cover them. I had this problem in FL when the house we bought was treated for one and then before the year was out we had the other kind. Of course that was not covered.
Not sure if this is still true but the warranty was only good for 7 years back then, the reason is it takes 7 years before the termites return after being treated.
Make sure you aren't paying more for the yearly bond than what it would cost you to have the house treated if they return.
Check with the county agriculture to verify what kind of termites are in your area.

Old 08-09-2007, 06:06 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,458,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlv311 View Post
Thank you all...To answer Riveree's questions, the home is 20 years old. We live in VA. The company treated the deck and crawlspace for evidence of termites. The previous owners kept the warranty after the first year even though the quarterly tests have shown no further evidence of termites.
I'd say definitely keep the bond then. You don't have to keep it with THAT company, you can shop around (many will pick up the bond and not charge you the big fee SunnyHelena pointed out above).

If you had termites once, you could easily get them again. Decks are obviously exposed wood right there in the ground, so it's not a shocker that termites showed up at the deck, but I'd still want the bond.

When you have the bond, it's basically insurance. If the termites do damage, the bond covers you for for the repair work (the bond might be for $100k or some such amount). Of course it's a contract, so it's only as good as it's written (you want a reputable company).

If you let the bond expire, then you're starting all over. You'll choose a company and they'll do your inspection and charge you a big fee (again, like the $960 SunnyH pointed out above). After the initial fee, you'll pay the yearly fee for the yearly inspections/treatments ($200 or so per year).

Like many insects, termites leave a trail/a scent behind for other termites to follow ("here's food!"). So one infestation is no guarantee of future infestations, but why not do the best you can to prevent it, right?

Old 11-24-2007, 11:05 PM

1 posts, read 29,700 times
Default Termite Bonds

I am a certified pest control operator in FL and have my own pest control company. I started my business 6 years ago with consumer protection in mind. Bonds are normally worthless. You need to read all the fine print and you will normally see some very specific requirements and limitations. I have spoken with the 5 top U.S.university entomology departments trying to determine how "old" and "new" termite damage can be distinguished. In every case, IT CANNOT. Read your bond and you will see a clause for damage after a treatment (new damage). Thus through the limitations and requirements, most bonds are ineffective. A treatment for Subterranean termites on an average home will cost in the $800-$1200 range. This is for a full treatment. Your bond is probably for a spot treatment (again in the fine print), which when performed will normally cost the pest control company less than $100 and most times less that $50 including labor. Now, if you are paying $200 per year is it worth it?

Last edited by Certified Pest Control Op; 11-24-2007 at 11:06 PM.. Reason: Improper sentence
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House