Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 AM

438 posts, read 1,700,224 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We live in a 2 story 1950's Cape Cod Style house. Our bedroom is on the 2nd floor. There is only one spot that our bed can go in our room and our A/C and heat vent register is directly behind our headboard. It's on the wall but close to the floor. Needless to say NO AIR can get out into our room. We did put one of those vent deflectors on to try and shoot the air up and over our headboard but it's not doing much. Is there a way to move the vent up higher on the wall towards the ceiling? I realize we would have to open up the drywall, but just not sure if it's possible to tie in a duct and run it up the wall....and not even sure I would be able to do it myself. Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2011, 08:44 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,985,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
Is there a way to move the vent up higher on the wall towards the ceiling? I realize we would have to open up the drywall, but just not sure if it's possible to tie in a duct and run it up the wall....and not even sure I would be able to do it myself. Any ideas or suggestions?
Until you cut open the wall, you're not going to know. There may be some wiring that passes through (and will have to be rerouted) and most likely you will have wood blocking that will need to be removed. Whether you can DIY or not ... well, how handy are you? If you are, then try it. The worse that can happen is that you'll find out you can't and have to replace the drywall/patch/repaint. If you aren't handy, then start calling around.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:32 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Yes. Anything is possible if you have enough time and cash and tolerance for mess.
Odds are though that you'll only have to deal with two of those three.
Which two? Can't say until you open the wall.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I guess it was a pretty vague question...Just didn't know if anyone out there has had success doing this, and had any tips or tricks to share. I know anything is possible with time and cash

Old 06-16-2011, 08:49 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
It is likely a pretty easy job for a HVAC contractor. You will probably have some fire-blocking in the stud cavity, that you will need to remove or relocate. There is probably a good chance there will be some wiring in the wall too. You can use nail plates to protect that. You will probably have to get a new metal duct made to extend the existing one up to the desired height (and fit inside the wall cavity.

If you have a room that has plumbing on the other side of this wall, there is a chance there could be pipes in the wall as well. This could be a problem.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner0325 View Post
I guess it was a pretty vague question... Yes
Just didn't know if anyone out there has had success doing this... Yes
and had any tips or tricks to share. Not much more than has been said.
The two biggest hiccups will be wires and blocking:

where are the receptacles near the vent?
assuming there is a wire that runs between them....
where do you suppose it might be?

Many walls will have "blocking" in the stud bays... do yours?

Neither of these Q's can be answered (let alone the solution to them)
without first opening the wall.

hth

Old 06-16-2011, 12:53 PM

The blocking can be moved with little effort.
The wiring can be accommodated using nail guards/shields between the Romex and the drywall (assuming its Romex).

Old 06-16-2011, 08:29 PM

17,476 posts, read 66,094,679 times
As everyone has stated before-
You'd be using stackhead material. In the picture below, think of it in reverse.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:03 AM

Great photo!

Old 06-17-2011, 10:22 AM

Thanks for the input guys an great photo, k'ledgebldr! The good news is I was able to get into the attic and check out the wall, it should be an easy fix...I won't have to move any wiring or anything. Thanks again guys!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House