Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 04:37 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,796,220 times

Advertisements

thread resurrection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 09:58 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,238,155 times
I was actually going to respond to the OP's post.... man I hate when people bring back old threads.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:33 PM

169 posts, read 799,292 times
When we bought our current house, all of the bathrooms were tiled in horrible 4" square builders white tiles and looked like they hadn't been cleaned for the duration of the home's 10 yr life-span. A hammer and a floor scraper made short work of them (a bit of elbow grease was required for the tiles that were directly on the slab) and after a Saturday morning class at Home Depot, we gave our hand to tiling and it turned out amazingly well. I wouldn't feel daunted by the prospect of DIY. We put off learning how to tile for years, and were amazed at how well we did once we bit the bullet.

Definitely don't lay vinyl over tile. It won't stick well or for long and you'll never be able to clean off the glue residue to correct your mistake!

Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,950,071 times
Do it right the first time, rip up the ceramic and carpet and install ceramic tile, not vinyl...it will cost you more money in the long run to bandaid the area with vinyl tile...IMO...

Old 08-25-2011, 12:11 PM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
OMG, I wonder if she actually ever did it? Hope not.

Old 09-05-2011, 06:11 AM

2 posts, read 11,822 times
Default Different grades of vinyl...

Now there are different grades of vinyl. There is vct which you see in many commercial settings. VCT is very durable and lasts for many years but it generally requires a lot of care, e.g. waxing and buffing. There are a few brands of floating vinyl floors which connected together by the edges and they are very easy to install and very durable. Then the Luxury vinyl tiles, many of which are very thick and contain fiberglass backing, are often mistaken by the casual observer as being ceramic tile (in fact some actually have ceramic in them) with grout lines and real grout.
I have installed luxury viny tile over ceramic. I tried to talk the customer out of it but they wanted to get rid of the 'bumpy' tile. It actually looked quite nice and the people were happy with the new flat floor.
Not all vinyls are created equal.

Old 10-13-2012, 04:26 PM

1 posts, read 5,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Our bathroom floor is all white tile which I don't like for various reasons. Is it possible to just lay vinyl tiles over it? Or would the floor feel weird and uneven? They are larger tiles, maybe 8 inches by 8 inches or so with standard sized grout. TIA

If you haven't done your bathroom floor yet, you can buy a vinyl floating floor. Instead of the normal 12x12" tiles, they come in 12x36" sections. The tile is thick and durable. I use it in my rehab & rental homes. Armstrong makes it. Home Depot has pictures of it on their web site

Old 10-16-2012, 04:59 PM

316 posts, read 660,857 times
Do they still use asbestos in vinyl flooring? I myself prefer ceramic tiles for durability and hardwood floors with carpets are great! And carpeting in bedrooms as it seems to be the norm, can be a real problem with fleas, mold, and chemicals off gassing from them as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House