Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 05:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times

Advertisements

I have a small "round" house in the mountains - built in 1973. It was a "kit house" - made by Topsider. Maybe some of you know what I am talking about? They have become popular again recently, due to their ability to withstand hurricanes and water surge better than most buildings.

Anyway, the bathroom tub/shower is some type of one piece fibreglass thing and the material hasn't held up well. I wondered if anyone had used the Bathroom Retrofitters - they often advertise on TV and in local media - saying they can come in and retrofit your shower/bath/tub in a matter of hours.

I was wondering about this as it would be very difficult to pull out that tub/shower - very small space and it seems to be connected to the walls somewhow. Reminds me of how they do bathrooms on some cruise ships - almost like a one piece unit, with sink and toilet added after installation of the "surround" (wh/ includes the shower walls, tub and ceiling) It appears the ceiling is a separate piece and it all fits together like a puzzle.

So it looks like a bear to rip out . . . and I thought - maybe those folks who do the retrofitting have some method of laying another surround over the existing one or respraying a new finish on the surfaces.

Anyone know how this all works? I sure would appreciate it. I don't want to call them without having some idea about the process - don't want to waste my time with someone coming on site, trying to do a sales job when the work is not even the type of process I am looking for.

Thanks for any insight, advice, reviews, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 06:19 AM

468 posts, read 1,541,421 times
You live in a Yurt? If so I think that's fantastic. I might end up doing that someday.

As for your question you would normally have three options: 1. Reglaze the tub and either put in new shower tile, or shower walls. 2. Install a "liner" for your tub then follow the same options as in #1 for your shower walls. Or, 3. tear out the existing tub and shower and replace with new tub and shower surround walls.

Since your current setup is made of fiberglass that will leave out option #1 because you can't "reglaze" fiberglass.

You're probably looking at anywhere from $3000 to $5000 dollars for option #2.

If you're handy, or know someone who is, I think option #3 would be your best bet.

One of my big projects to complete this year is a total bathroom remodel in my house. This includes remodeling the tub/shower, new floor tile, new toilet, new vanity, and painting the walls.

I called two of those bath fitter places and told them what I was wanting done (new tub, new shower walls, new water valve and plumbing). They quoted me $5000 to have it done. I told them no thanks.

I tore out the tub and shower walls myself. Installed a new water valve and copper pipes. Installed the new tub and shower walls. And, I can also replace the floor tile, toilet, vanity, and paint the walls all for less than half of what they wanted just to do the tub/shower.

No, I can't get it all done in a couple of hours. But, the money I saved more than makes up for the time spent.

So, find someone handy, pay them a decent wage, and throw in a few home cooked meals.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:40 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,350 times
I looked into that extensively before I did a major remodel of two baths a few years ago. The refinishing option costs were substantially in excess of pulling out and replacing the old stuff. I had my plumber junk the old stuff and replace the tub/shower combo with a new unit and hardware.

While it looks difficult to pull out the old setup, its actually very simple for pros to do it. It took them less than 1/2 hour to rip out the old unit. I think the end product was much better.

Be aware that its best to go with a name brand on the new unit. There is a lot of lower cost junk available but it won't hold up. I used American Standard for my project with Moen hardware and any of the other established brands offer equal quality units.

One other tip, I bought my stuff on the Internet and it was notably cheaper (even with delivery) than my local box store (though I looked at the box store stuff to make my selection ). I told my plumber upfront that I would be supplying the replacement unit & hardware & he was okay with that deal.

Definitely make sure your plumber seals off the project room with a plastic sheet - the cutting of the fiberglass creates some dust and you don't want to be breathing that junk. Also, its a good idea to have the bath exhaust fan on (if you have one) and your vacuum cleaner handy while they're doing the cutting and catch any stray dust.

Good luck with your project.

Old 06-06-2011, 06:32 PM

40 posts, read 190,745 times
If you have a whole one piece unit, there will absolutely be no re-glazing...
The whole unit needs to be cut out and here's your two best options:

1- Replace with Swanstone Veritek Tub or Cast iron tub and go with a Swanstone Flat wall panel Kit with accessories. Swanstone is a solid surface like Corian so it is repairable, solid throughout and last (literally) a lifetime and then some

2- Replace with Swanstone Veritek Tub or Cast iron tub and have the walls boarded with Cement Board, Waterproofed and tiled.

if done correctly, either option will be bulletproof!!! (Coming from someone who does this all the time)

your welcome

Todd Stull
Enola, PA

Old 06-07-2011, 04:46 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Bath Refitters is like Empire- uber priced for idiots that don't know what comparative shopping is!
Grip it!
Rip it!
And install new- much less expensive.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
Wow - you guys are great! I have a lot to think about after reading all these ideas and experiences w/ various products.

Definitely not in my budget to get into refinishing a tub at a premium price.

Old 06-08-2011, 02:17 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
The benefit of the refitter is they generally in and out and out fast so if you're one of those really impatient people go for it.

Quote:
I was wondering about this as it would be very difficult to pull out that tub/shower - very small space and it seems to be connected to the walls somewhow.
Generally this is no problem, since its scrap you'd just cut it up with sawzall or whatever since damage to he unit is irrelvant, any one professional would most likely have it out in short time.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:30 PM

40 posts, read 190,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Wow - you guys are great! I have a lot to think about after reading all these ideas and experiences w/ various products.

Definitely not in my budget to get into refinishing a tub at a premium price.

Sometimes, Swanstone/Tile etc... can be a little less or more than Liner units so don't be surprised on price but know that you'll get an awesome product in Swan or tiling with waterproofing and the worx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House