Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 06:25 PM

39 posts, read 41,098 times

Advertisements

I have a single faucet in my bathtub, one side hot, one side cold, really don't like it. I have to stand in the shower and keep turning it back and forth. One itch to the left to hot, one inch to the right to cold.

I am looking to possibly switching it to 3 water faucets. I would not do it myself but I just want to know if it is possibly to do so before I even attempt to contact a plumber. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 06:59 PM

592 posts, read 1,480,453 times
meaning... switch it back to the old styly 3 knobs? Cold, Hot and Shower on?
That really won't help the back and forth issue you describe

and also, I think code requires the single handle faucet so the temperature can be kept at safe temperatures

Old 01-26-2014, 10:15 PM

4,451 posts, read 6,805,503 times
Do you have old pipes or copper? Look for a "thermostatic valve" you set the temperature once, then it is just on and off. Maybe it is just your valve.

Old 01-26-2014, 10:23 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmark View Post
That's not true. I hate the single knob faucets. They're so temperamental.

It's much easier to get the right temperature with separate hot water and cold water knobs.

Quote:
and also, I think code requires the single handle faucet so the temperature can be kept at safe temperatures
That's not true either. Code doesn't require single knob faucets.

Safe water temperature is controlled at the water heater.

Old 01-27-2014, 12:30 AM

44,644 posts, read 61,677,004 times
There are ADA codes for public accessibility business's such as commercial/retail stores, government offices and schools. These include single handle faucets, toilet height, sink height etc.
Private residences have various requirements mandated by local codes that are not as strict as ADA codes.
2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design

Many water heaters run on the extremely hot side, faucet handles especially the single handle faucets make it easy to adjust and control the hot/cold water temperatures so as not to burn the skin.

Old 01-27-2014, 02:42 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,224,215 times
I changed ours back to separate handles and like it much better.
Possible? Yes, but it will require access to the plumbing (which you should have anyway) drilling new holes through the shower wall and a plate to cover the hole that will now be in the middle.
The only thing I would have even considered if the labor had been costly would have been to replace the single knob with one that featured separate temperature and pressure controls

Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 AM

8 posts, read 21,529 times
It can easily be done switching a 2-handle to a single with access behind (or an unobstructed wall).
If you're just changing the valve and have no access from behind then the plumber would need to open the wall slightly.
He should have a repair plate to outline where he can cut-out. (It's more difficult without access from behind, but can be done).

Old 01-27-2014, 02:45 PM

39 posts, read 41,098 times
Quote:
It will actually help a lot. I had 3 knobs in my apartment and I never had a problem having to turn it back and forth to get the water to the temp I like.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:45 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,445,845 times
Get a quality pressuring balancing thermostatic valve, set it up properly and don't waste time doing something bass-ackwards --

Symmons BP-46-2 Temptrol II Temptrol II(BP series) pressure balancing tub/shower mixing valve with lever handle and built in choke Polished Chrome*-*eFaucets.com

or

Toto TS230T Wyeth Single Handle Thermostatic Mixing Valve Trim Only with Lever Handle - FaucetDirect.com

Old 01-27-2014, 05:03 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,117,463 times
I hate those things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House