Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM

16 posts, read 59,672 times

Advertisements

I have a relatively new grill, yet every time that I switch the propane tank because the previous one was empty, the next time I go to use the grill, usually a month or so later, the new propane tank is empty. This has happened three times. The grill has the new standard connector on it and it seems to fit fine. I'm ready to chuck the whole thing. Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 04:39 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,080,904 times
Do you keep the tank valve closed?

You're supposed to.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvs053063 View Post
Any ideas? Thanks.
sure.
drop it off here at my house.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Do you keep the tank valve closed?

You're supposed to.
Ha ha. Like you're supposed to do, I close the tank valve to shut down the burners, then turn the burners off. So yes, I close the tank valve.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:19 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,855,594 times
"A month or two later" doesn't mean anything - it's how much it is used in that month. If you're using it twice a day for a month, then it will run out in a month.

But, I assume you're using it a lot less and this is very unusual.

Leak? Soap test?

Old 05-26-2011, 05:25 PM

1,853 posts, read 9,696,686 times
Process of elimination. If you are using a different tank every time, it's not the valve on the tank. Are you sure the tank is actually empty? Sometimes the gas doesn't flow unless you disconnect the hose, shut off the grill controls and then reconnect it.

If the tank is really empty..............

That leaves you with a neighbor that is giving you his empty tank, and taking your full tank.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM

34,131 posts, read 83,135,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Process of elimination.
That leaves you with a neighbor that is giving you his empty tank, and taking your full tank.
whatever it is...
I'm certain it will work just fine here.

(and I get long fine with my neighbor... just in case)

Old 05-26-2011, 05:41 PM

23,622 posts, read 70,554,955 times
I had one just do that. It is an older tank, it sat out all winter, and at some point a pinhole leak developed where the handles are welded to the tank. Needless to say, I don't plan on refilling the tank. As for neighbors... maybe a deer came up and swapped mine out, but if so, he did a darned good job at making a label from a propane place in Florida.

So my suggestion mirrors others. Put a little dishsoap in a spray bottle, fill the rest up with water, and spray the tank and fitting for a bubble test.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
"A month or two later" doesn't mean anything - it's how much it is used in that month. If you're using it twice a day for a month, then it will run out in a month.

But, I assume you're using it a lot less and this is very unusual.

Leak? Soap test?
I can try a leak test if it is a fast leak. I really have no idea since I only use the grill every couple of months which is why it is frustrating that I have to buy a new tank every time I use my grill.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Process of elimination. If you are using a different tank every time, it's not the valve on the tank. Are you sure the tank is actually empty? Sometimes the gas doesn't flow unless you disconnect the hose, shut off the grill controls and then reconnect it.

That's creative. I like that. I can also try what you mention above, but really, I don't think there is anything about that procedure in the owner's manual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House