Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:06 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,212 times

Advertisements

I got a Ducane Natural Gas grill last year that I like a lot. I am now moving to a house that has only Propane. I called Ducane but they were kinda no help giving me information about if it is possible to do this conversion. Does anyone know? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 10:33 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,944,880 times
There are conversion kits for some grills but not all. Since the energy content and burn temp is so different it absolutely takes a change to the burners.

I would try calling an experienced retail outlet such as Bahama Blue - (877) 419-6500

Old 08-17-2007, 05:44 PM

24,447 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Never saw anything about converting NG to LP. Might ask here, they are pretty good folks.

BBQ Source Forums

Old 08-18-2007, 01:11 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
I used to own a BBQ grill store.

Natural gas does not have as much energy as propane gas, so the orifice on the valve has to be larger to allow more gas to mix with air. It's relatively easy to convert an orifice from propane to natural gas, because the hole just has to be drilled out. However, I tried ordering a special drill bit that would make the hole smaller as I pulled the bit out, and it never arrived.

So, to convert the orifice to propane, one either has to buy the proper orifice, or start with a blank of the correct threads and shape, and drill it out to the correct size.

This is not a job for amateurs, because the trick is to know the right size. The procedure is to find the number size of the drill that fits the hole now, by trial and error (keep sticking numbered drill bit into the hole until one fits), look that up on a chart to see how many BTU's that size creates, cross reference the BTU's to propane gas, and see on the chart what number drill is to be used to get the same BTU's from propane as was previously obtained from natural gas. Clear as mud?

BUT -- that could be only half the job. Depending on the type of valve you have, you may need to replace the entire valve assembly to get the correct registration of low, medium and high. On valves with a click-stop for those settings, there are 3 differently sized holes that permit the flor of gas. The holes in a natural gas valve will be larger than those in a propane valve. Thus, if you convert the orifice to propane but don't change the valve, the low, medium and high settings will become medium, high and very high. This is not desirable.

If your grill has an infinite setting valve (that it, it turns smoothly all the way from low to high), you might be able to live with the change of gas without changing the valve -- but it still won't be calibrated properly.

We used to sell Ducane grills many years ago (we gave them up, because they don't hold up as well in tropical South Florida as they were promised), and it has been years since I service one, but if I recall, Ducane's position was that changing the orifice violated the warranty. The safest thing to do is to call Ducane and ask them to send you new valve and orifice assemblies for propane. You can also usually find a propane supplier in most towns and ask their service man about changing the orifice, remembering that it may only be half the job.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:26 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Almost forgot -- you're also going to need a propane regulator, new hose to connect to the valve, and the OPD connector to connect the regulator to the propane tank. You also should have whatever mechanism Ducane is now using to hold the propane tank in place -- it used to be a wire ring inside the pedestal of the grill. That stuff will be harder to find without going to Ducane, although a good, independent, full service grill store may be able to help you. There are few of those outside the sunshine states, however.

By the time you buy the propane tank and have it filled, plus the valves, orifices, regulator, hose and connector, you'll probably be up to around $150 or so, and that was 5 year old prices before I retired. You may be better off to just buy a new grill set up for propane.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
Almost forgot -- you're also going to need a propane regulator, new hose to connect to the valve, and the OPD connector to connect the regulator to the propane tank. You also should have whatever mechanism Ducane is now using to hold the propane tank in place -- it used to be a wire ring inside the pedestal of the grill. That stuff will be harder to find without going to Ducane, although a good, independent, full service grill store may be able to help you. There are few of those outside the sunshine states, however.

By the time you buy the propane tank and have it filled, plus the valves, orifices, regulator, hose and connector, you'll probably be up to around $150 or so, and that was 5 year old prices before I retired. You may be better off to just buy a new grill set up for propane.
Good advice. that's what I would do. BBQ sales should be coming up soon as it is the end of the season.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 359,329 times
Ok well i have a question here....lets say that i have a propane bbq and its a royal piece of crap (fell out of the truck when moving hahaha) i beleive its a broil king dont quote tho...and i have a buddy who just got a brand new stainless BBQ and he no longer needs his smaller (but still good) NG grill.

Now i am very familiar with oriface sizes etc. and the differences between NG and Propane (work in the oil and gas industry) but heres my question...do you think with TWO complete BBQ's one propane and one gas...could i combine the parts of both and make the BBQ that fits my scenario? Ie i have the valve, regulator, burners and piping for the propane grill, could i not modify it to work on the NG

yes i know it would help to know models and names (i forgot the make of the NG grill) but this would save me from buying tons of parts? or a very expensive piping install to route a NG feed out to my deck?

I can also get things welded so that might help things a bit

anyways, thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 01:55 PM

Probably more trouble and effort than it's worth. Lowes has a sale just startg with grill 20% off over a certain price.

Old 12-13-2007, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 359,329 times
i was hoping for something more along the lines of .... free

ahhahaha, ya ill have a nice grill when i get older and actually have money to spend (washing machine just bit the bucket, and split with the wife, so $$$ flow is very tight) but with the option of two free BBQ's, a hookup for cheap propane (friend who works at the gas station), and lots of tools and modification knowledge i think i should make a frankenQ

Anyways im going to give it a whirl as both Q's are free, but was wondering if anyone else has done the same or attempted it

Old 12-13-2007, 03:33 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I say go for it. Hell what's the worst that could happen. I mean you're only dealing with open flames and a combustible compressed gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House