Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 02:06 PM

123 posts, read 567,940 times

Advertisements

We are planning to install 2 zone central air in the houe, what system do you recommend: Carrier Infinity, Tappan, Westinghoue, Broan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 02:06 PM

114 posts, read 572,060 times
Surprised no one has replied to this... so I will.

I just went through the process of installing Central AC into my home. A house built with no duct work, and designed in a way that there's no way to install ducts easily.

I researched installing Central AC for about a year (we already have baseboard heating, so just needed the AC portion, no forced-air heating), and bit the bullet last month.

Check out this forum: Residential HVAC - HVAC-Talk: Heating, Air & Refrigeration Discussion It's by professional HVAC installers and you can ask them questions. It's not a DIY forum, so you'll get flamed if you ask those type of questions, but it's a good resource for research... which thermostat is better, problems with one brand versus another, etc, etc.

Based on what I've read, brand means nothing - it all has to do with how it's installed. You could have the worlds best brand, highest SEER rating, but if the installer does a poor job, the system is poor.

I received about five quotes for doing the work, with each one offering a different brand. I went with the installer and not the brand. He installed Bryant. Carrier and Bryant are made by the same company, so my inside air handler says Carrier, but the model is for Bryant and the outside compressor is branded Bryant.

Because of the way the house is designed, the upstairs has to have its own unit, separate from the downstairs. So yeah, I got two zones, by way of two units.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:14 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,727,212 times
Nothing stops a Trane

Old 05-19-2011, 04:23 PM

17,477 posts, read 66,104,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioGuy93 View Post
Surprised no one has replied to this...

Because it has more to do about the system. The SEER rating. How it's installed. How the system was calculated; how the duct system was calculated, etc.
A lot of different "brand" names are built by the same manufacturer- giving little difference between brands-

that's why.

Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM

34,100 posts, read 83,032,310 times
I didn't answer because of the other thread(s) he started on the same topic...
well, the answers seemed to cover the basic issues as far as he was willing to take them (not far).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House