Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 10:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times

Advertisements

Ask. But don't be disappointed if they suggest a lower cost line of cabinet when you ask.Lets don't even get into furniture store pricing .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:14 PM

76 posts, read 304,243 times
Thanks for the responses everyone!
I pretty much planned to ask, but wanted to know how they are likely to respond. For example, it's pretty common knowledge that if you ask off list price for a car, the dealer will pretend that there's only so much they can do - or even act like they can't do anything... when usually this is not the case. I like to negotiate with people on stuff to get good prices - but of course I also know price isn't everything.

We'll see how this goes!

desertsun41: I've previously read your other posts about cabinetry which I found very useful - thanks for all the info - it's helped me a lot with this process.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 6,292 times
Default Where can I find Merrilat Cabinets in columbus ohio

Starting our Kitchen remodel have plans from yes the Big orange 23,000 for kitchen cabinets undertand im enlarging my kitchen by taking over the dining room. I hear that I should look at Merrilat the price we have was on Kraftmaid. Would like some advice on shoppiing around for smaller kitchen and bath places here in columbus where i can get a discount whaich the big orange does not offer. From these forums i find myself rethinking my kitchen Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,668,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanie csokmay View Post
Starting our Kitchen remodel have plans from yes the Big orange 23,000 for kitchen cabinets undertand im enlarging my kitchen by taking over the dining room. I hear that I should look at Merrilat the price we have was on Kraftmaid. Would like some advice on shoppiing around for smaller kitchen and bath places here in columbus where i can get a discount whaich the big orange does not offer. From these forums i find myself rethinking my kitchen Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Stay away from the big orange who only wants your little green. $23,000 huh. Here is what happened. They quoted you list price or MSRP (manufacturers suggested retail price). They buy that for 23 cents on a dollar so ya figure they are making about $18 grand on you if my head did that right. How do you feel about that? Not too good huh.

Now consider almost all small dealers sell at a standard 40 to 60% off list price. That means any other Kraftmaid dealer would have quoted you a price of about $11,000. Now tell me what you could do with an extra $11 grand. Vacation round the world, buy your teacher (me) a late model car? Ok next thing is the big orange does not employ certified kitchen designers. They promote minimum wage floor people to cabinet sales and give them a 3 day training on how to design for profit....NOT design for maximum function, space and usability. The poor consumer watches them draw your new kitchen on the screen and will never know all the nice things available because those clowns don't know about them to tell YOU.

Here is another couple issues you will... not maybe run into. They tell you 8-10 weeks and know DAMN well it will be 12-14 weeks for delivery. I want someone to tell me why I can have Kraftmaid delivered RIGHT TO YOUR DOOR IN JUST 3 weeks. Any Kraftmaid dealer can. I'm not special. Next issue is your order will be incomplete because these young trainees don't know about accessories such as trim and add ons.

Ok about Merillat. My brand for 3 decades. Oldest and largest cabinet company on earth yet Kraftmaid has brand recognition over Merillat 10 fold. But......Merillat, Kraftmaid, Quality, Woodstar and the new Basic series are all companies owned by Masco which has about 80% of the world market in home improvement products. Your faucets are most likely by Masco companies, your floors, acoustical ceilings....on and on..

These were all separate companies at one time and now all one. Since about 2008 Masco is producing all the components of the boxes to be interchangeable with all their brands while leaving the color and door style choices to be on their own. Merillat Masterpiece is a very very high end high cost cabinet. Masterpiece is nothing but a glorified Kraftmaid cabinet. Kraftmaid makes them and stamps the inside of the drawer box with Masterpiece.

Merillat will be lessor cost then Kraftmaid and I feel the quality is pretty much the same. The main difference is Merillat has about 200 door style and color choices and Kraftmaid has about 900. What's more important to you? Box wise Merillat is the same product for less money.

Just go to the Merillat main site and look for dealers in your area. If you can look for a dealer with the Signature Dealer sign. If their web site does not advertise their every day discount then call and ask.

Hope I shed some light on your new project for you. Good luck and be a smart consumer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House