Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 10:29 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by R_F View Post
Great example, since the most common vine issue in many states is poison ivy. Burn that and spread the happiness.

Freedom, apparently, is about making others suffer because someone is ignorant of the consequences of their actions, or just doesn't care enough.

The person who talked about compost was spot-on. Brush piles and piles of dead limbs will decompose over time. It is not necessary to ruin a person's lungs with burning.

People are ignorant and burn treated wood, putting arsenic into the air and hexavalent chromium. They burn wood with lead paint on it.

Another reason why wealthy people live longer is because they can live away from idiotic neighbors with their matchbooks.
Quote:
Humans died young and suffered horribly.

For example, Vikings had worm infestations. Worms would come out of their faces, or even their eyes.

The good old days, before people learned more things... like just because it can be burned doesn't mean it should be burned.

As for natural, I wouldn't get too cozy with aconitum plants if I were you, or things like the natural volcano eruption that sealed the people of Pompeii in.
Quote:
Tell your lungs to pull themselves up by their bootstraps.

Magical thinking will solve the problem. Who needs facts?

Fortunately for most of us.... you don't get to decide when we can burn. In the county here, you are allowed to burn brush and debris as long as it is controlled and not during a burn ban. Some of us don't have the luxury of having a 20 ft tall and wide compost pile that we can wait years to dissolve. Some of us have to maintain our properties throughout the year and that requires occasional burning of limbs and such.

My house sits on a little over an acre in the country and is backed up to the woods. The back yard is covered in trees and without a constant effort to keep my fence line maintained my yard would be overgrown within a year. It was when I bought it, so I spent all of last summer cleaning it back up. I am still in that process this year.

What would you suggest I or my neighbors do with all of the debris that has to be cleaned up? We all understand that this is part of living in the country and none of us complain about the other burning (unless it's tires, or something other than debris).

As a side note, wealth has NOTHING to do with burning debris. Many of the wealthy people living in this county live within two miles of me. Do you know what we see at the edge of their properties? Burn piles. Sometimes they even have the local fire department come out and do a controlled burn on the piles when they get too large for them to comfortable have their staff burn.

I sense that you have a personal issue with it and that's fine. But your personal issue doesn't mean that everyone else has to take issue with it as well.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 03:31 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
My neighbor burns garbage (it's legal, alas). Consider yourself lucky.
What???burning rubbish, thats environmentally dangerous as is wood smoke.. surely something can be done. Ask your president... https://www.gov.uk/garden-bonfires-rules

Old 09-11-2017, 10:57 AM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times

1mm acres on fire in Montana right now. More than likely more smoke produced in this state than all the chimneys combined in the US for over a year.

Oh the horror..

Old 06-11-2018, 07:31 AM

155 posts, read 348,941 times
If it bothers you, and is causing health problems, call the fire Dept. They will put it out. If the fire Dept refuses to act, call your mayor. We did and the damn fire is out. The guy renting a house next to us moved in built fire pit and started burning last falls leaves and yard waste, old landscape timbers and cardboard boxes. He kind of nuts so I called fire Dept, they put fire out. Neighbor was not home he came home and started fire again. Called fire Dept and this time, they refused to put it out. I think neighbor bribed them. Called mayor and fire is out and staying out. That neighbor burned that fire for 3 days 24/7. He planned on continuing it. We were sick from the smoke and we have a 2 year old. Our health and child trump some jerk with a pyro disorder. Call your mayor, tell them you have asthma. The fires will stop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House