Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 02:17 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesandbits View Post
Absolutely. This is an actual HEALTH issue, and probably a safety issue too in terms of the sparks. I have severe asthma, and I'm coughing in my own house and unable to breathe well when this is happening....... It would be nice theoretically if people were interested in the concept of being neighborly and considerate and thinking of the consequences of their actions on other people but unfortunately that seems to have gone out the window in general.
I have severe allergies and asthma myself so I can absolutely sympathize. You have no idea how much I feel for you and understand your situation.

But... The truth of the matter is the rest of the world doesn't care. I'm sure you are familiar with the smoker who is puffing away next to you while you are coughing a lung out and they look at you with total amazement and say, "Oh? Is this bothering you?" The "good" smokers will apologize and put it out. The "bad" smokers will step two paces away and keep puffing. You know what I do? I move myself out of the way of the smoke.

The only person responsible for your health is you. You cannot control the rest of the world. Seal your windows. Buy some really 1st rate home air filtering systems. Talk to your doctor about what else you can do. A good allergist will have suggestions. If worse comes to worse maybe you'll have to consider moving someplace else. Life isn't fair. Some people have asthma. Some people don't. The world is made for people who don't. Sorry.

Take care of yourself buy doing everything you can for yourself.

(Half the battle is that this is freaking you out. I've been there. You're worried about the coughing and what it is doing to your health. I'd seriously suggest some calming exercises. Mood music. Breathe from your diaphram. The more you gulp and worry the worse your asthma will be. It's also a very good excuse to go to a movie and just get out of the house for a few hours. "Yes. One ticket for "Rango." please. Doctor's orders.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 02:25 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,679,772 times
Quote:

Ok I will look through the HOA document and make the call to fire dept. I really don't want to give my address to the fire dept. though because then this neighbor will know who "told" on him, right?
Who cares if he knows. You gotta let your neighbors not to f8ck with you.

Old 03-23-2011, 06:49 PM

350 posts, read 4,158,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
But... The truth of the matter is the rest of the world doesn't care. I'm sure you are familiar with the smoker who is puffing away next to you while you are coughing a lung out and they look at you with total amazement and say, "Oh? Is this bothering you?" The "good" smokers will apologize and put it out. The "bad" smokers will step two paces away and keep puffing. You know what I do? I move myself out of the way of the smoke.

The only person responsible for your health is you. You cannot control the rest of the world. Seal your windows. Buy some really 1st rate home air filtering systems. Talk to your doctor about what else you can do. A good allergist will have suggestions. If worse comes to worse maybe you'll have to consider moving someplace else. Life isn't fair. Some people have asthma. Some people don't. The world is made for people who don't. Sorry.
You speak wise words. I know no one else gives a crap. I would never expect a smoker to put out their cigarette b/c of me, I would just move away. But it's much easier to move out of the way of someone smoking than to move out of the way when smoke is infiltrating my house through windows and the chimney. Sure, I can attempt to seal up the windows real well, but buying an air filtering system sounds expensive, though I will look into it. Any suggestions? It would just suck to have to shell out major cash because of the inconsiderateness of this neighbor.

We'll see if this continues, I hope not. I just wish people were more considerate of others, especially when it comes to health related issues, but I know sadly that is not the case in today's world.

Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Sure, I can attempt to seal up the windows real well, but buying an air filtering system sounds expensive, though I will look into it. Any suggestions? It would just suck to have to shell out major cash because of the inconsiderateness of this neighbor.

We'll see if this continues, I hope not. I just wish people were more considerate of others, especially when it comes to health related issues, but I know sadly that is not the case in today's world.
On the second paragraph: You and me both!

Do you have a good allergist? Over the years I've gotten all kinds of info from mine. (Including things like brochures on various products.) I'd start with closing up the house on the days he burns and try the smaller room-size air cleaners. You can get these in the $50 to $200 range.

And have you tried ionizers? For me, they work wonders. I have a portable (that is, unfortunately, no longer available) that I've taken on vacation. Got it from one of the home shopping channels. Check QVC and HSN on line to see what they have.

I'll think of what else I've done over the years, so check back here. Remember: A lot of people have been in your shoes. No fun, but you do what you have to do to stay well. And ask you allergist about meds you can take when he's burning. There are ways to make pre-emptive strikes to keep your lungs open. And stock up on the cheap surgical masks you can buy at the drug store. I've worn them during major brush fires and the smoke and ash is everywhere and they REALLY help. Ask the clerks if you can't find them.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 AM

Check out the ORECK website. This is the type of air cleaner I use.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:34 PM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're making me laugh. People pay for their garbage to be hauled away in cities too.

I can't imagine living where there's a a "dump." I sure wouldn't haul my own garage to one.
I'm sure your city "dump" is closer than you think.

Old 03-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I can't imagine living where there's a a "dump." I sure wouldn't haul my own garage to one.
I used to spend my summers on a farm in Michigan. The trip to the dump was a hi-light. The dump was practically a social club. Loved going to the dump.

Come to think of it we used to make trips to the dump when I was a kid in SoCal. We kids used to find all kinds of treasures at the dump. (There are now multi-million dollar homes next to it.)

Old 03-25-2011, 03:13 PM

761 posts, read 3,415,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I used to spend my summers on a farm in Michigan. The trip to the dump was a hi-light. The dump was practically a social club. Loved going to the dump.
My dad recently moved to northern Wisconsin and he is out of reach of town trash pickup, so he goes to the dump every Saturday. It is cleaner than you think, and a better job is done sorting stuff then the big city "dumps" do.

I went with once, and I thought it was pretty cool, you just back in and the guy takes your stuff or you help sort and carry on with your day.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM

859 posts, read 2,829,121 times
What you are describing is called a fire-pit and they are sold at most hardware and home improvement stores. I live in a residential area and have one in my back yard. They are completely legal where I live.

The Fire department was called once thinking there was a real fire (paranoid neighbor called) but found out it was nothing more than my pit. They simply said sorry for the trouble and left.

I would suggest you talk to the neighbor and explain your case. But I will say this. If he was there before you and you where aware of the burning before you bought the house then you have no right to try to change him.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,007 times
Default About wood fire smoke....

I agree understand anyone who complains about a neighbours smelly smoky chimney. Who in their right mind would want to breathe in smoke and have it coming inside their house? There should be a big fine for anyone who causes smoke to come inside someones house. I hope they ban wood fires in the whole of australia. No good just talking about banning them in sydney. They need to do it everywhere in australia. People that are sick and who have lung and chest problems shoudlnt have to breathe in smoke from inconsiderate idiots who want to light their fires. There are plenty of ways to keep warm. They should use a kerosene heater or gas if they are short of money.

I use no heaters. I just rug up. But then i dont live somewhere where it gets below zero.

I possibly wont get back in here. I dont like arguments. Im sure someone will go back at me for what ive said. Someone that believes in wood fires. Well i dont.

I POSTED THIS IN ALL CAPS. I DONT KNOW HOW THE HELL IT CAME OUT IN LOWER CASE. I DONT TYPE IN LOWER CASE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House