Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2011, 05:18 PM

130 posts, read 902,652 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I don't know if this is the right forum to post this but i don't see a better one.
I had some things in storage including a large heavy duty duffle bag and stored in it were some tapestries, blankets and clothes.
This is on the west coast where it's very damp in the winter and my things were stored for over 3 years.
When i opened that duffle bag recently i realized that everything just reeks of mildew / mold. (not sure which .... probably both?).
I've washed almost everything and the lighter fabrics no longer smell but i have some heavier cotton fabrics that still stink after going through a hot wash with a lot of detergent.
Is there a product (hopefully not a toxic one) that addresses this issue?
Also, in that bag was a large shaneel <sp? bedspread and a large, heavy quilt from Mexico.
Both of these items would normally need to be dry cleaned and i'm wondering if that process will take care of the mildew / mold and if not, how they should be treated.
Thank you in advance.
Also, if there's a more appropriate forum to post this on, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2011, 07:20 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Oh, I've had to deal with that. After many hours of research, I learned that I was supposed to dry clean twice and wash three times to ensure that fabrics were mold or mildew free.

That said, it's not always necessary. If something comes back from the cleaners and looks clean, smells fresh, the item might be OK. If you have any doubts, send it again.

With anything that can go through the wash, I found that it was better to 'do it up right' the first time. I would soak in OxiClean or Biz for a while, drain the tub, wash the clothes in the hottest water temp that they would take, add white vinegar to the rinse water (and let the clothing soak in that for a bit) then put the clothes through a second rinse cycle. After they go through the dryer or hang outside on a nice, hot sunny day, you won't have a problem.

Old 01-30-2011, 09:53 PM

130 posts, read 902,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Oh, I've had to deal with that. After many hours of research, I learned that I was supposed to dry clean twice and wash three times to ensure that fabrics were mold or mildew free.

That said, it's not always necessary. If something comes back from the cleaners and looks clean, smells fresh, the item might be OK. If you have any doubts, send it again.

With anything that can go through the wash, I found that it was better to 'do it up right' the first time. I would soak in OxiClean or Biz for a while, drain the tub, wash the clothes in the hottest water temp that they would take, add white vinegar to the rinse water (and let the clothing soak in that for a bit) then put the clothes through a second rinse cycle. After they go through the dryer or hang outside on a nice, hot sunny day, you won't have a problem.
Thank you so much.
Good advice (oxi-clean seems like a good bet) although i'll have to wait quite a few months for that hot, sunny day.
For the items that need to be dry cleaned, i'll take them in and see what the results will be.

Old 02-14-2011, 08:56 PM

15 posts, read 47,387 times
I agree with the vinegar. It has disinfectant properties and kills 82% of mold spores -- although how you're supposed to know which kind of mold is growing on your clothes is beyond me.

Wash in as warm (or hot) water. Add 1/2- 1 cup of vinegar to the load instead of fabric softener. Depending on how bad it is, you might need to wash it twice. Drying in dryer would be ideal (if possible).

Old 02-15-2011, 12:23 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
If you're sensitive to the vinegar smell ( I am) run a second rinse with a half cup of baking soda....

Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Try laying them out in the sun for a day. (If they are dark colors they may fade some).

For some clothing I have found that the only solution is kerosene and a match and then a trip to the seaonal sales at Meijer or K-mart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House