Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 12:21 AM

2,898 posts, read 6,355,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post
I use dishwashing detergent also. Works great.
Back in the "olden days", before dishwashers, both my mother and I used "blueing". It's still around, works good too, but can't tell you exactly what it is. Try googling it.
I remember my mum had a bottle of blue, thick liquid under the sink she used for whites. I'll look for it online. i seem to remember she said she couldn't find it any longer... I was a teen at the time so that was long ago. She used to buy lye for soapmaking & also Borax (have no idea what that was used for)... I know lye is illegal in the US now, but soapmakers buy it from Canada... heard Borax is, too, but I wouldn't know what to do with it if I had a box of it.

Quote:
For the life of me though, I don't know what this thread is doing in "HOUSE" cat.??? I'm just sayin'.
Hahaha I know... I couldn't figure out which forum to use & since there were questions about w/d & a thread on household tips here, I added it. What's the other choice... Hobbies?? Seriously, where would you place it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 12:36 AM

B4U... just found this online for Mrs. Stewart's bluing (I swear that's a pic of my grandmum on the label)...

Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing Cleaner#

Also, an interesting article on laundry products:
Mrs. Stewart's Bluing: Laundry Products

I'll try the dishwashing detergent as several have said it works. I'll also buy the bluing online. I used to use blue swimmer's shampoo in my hair (lightened blonde) & it does prevent it from taking on a green cast... have to be careful of it taking on a blue cast, however.

Thanks again, everyone.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 AM

1,174 posts, read 6,947,795 times
Here's an idea . . . I guess. I was watching a TV show the other night about how people lived in the first century, AD. At one point, they spoke about the white tunics worn by the Romans and how they kept them clean and white. Apparently, they washed them in . . . URINE!

There's your answer. It kept them white for the Romans, so why wouldn't it do so for you.

The problem is that the narrator also said that it made the clothes smell, but it was apparently okay for the Romans. I doubt that it would be okay for you, so maybe we ought to leave the Roman washing solution back in the first century.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:29 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
I haven't seen too many pretty colors in the Rit Dye. I remember dying a white shirt yellow many years ago... it came out mustard yellow, which I didn't like, so I bought black Rit, which made it khaki green. Not sure if mustard yellow was worse than khaki green, but that shirt became my house cleaning shirt. Maybe the colors are improved, but honestly, all I need are some nice, white shirts. I'm hoping the brightening methods will work. I don't mean this to sound silly, but is there a white Rit dye? Maybe I can just dye the shirts white??

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
Rit is a cheap dye. There are beautiful dyes now. Dharma is great for natural fibers. I've had success with it on cotton blends. The colors are vibrant and don't fade.

Dharma doesn't have bright white, but there is ivory, ecru and many, many other light colored dyes.

I understand you need white shirts, but you don't need 10 white shirts. It sounds like you're going in the opposite direction of grunge by avoiding black and only wanting white. Live a little and make a three or four white and dye the other ones different colors so you have variety in your wardrobe.

Old 12-22-2010, 01:39 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,670,709 times
In my white clothes, I always add 2 cap full of "Murphy oil soap", plus the detergent and bleech. It does work, have been doing this for years.

Old 12-22-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Rit is a cheap dye. There are beautiful dyes now. Dharma is great for natural fibers. I've had success with it on cotton blends. The colors are vibrant and don't fade.

Dharma doesn't have bright white, but there is ivory, ecru and many, many other light colored dyes.
Great info. I'll try the whitening methods, but this dye could be useful for other projects, Hopes, thanks.

Is this the company, by the way? For poly fabrics (iDye)... I don't see anything that differs from what I've seen in Rit... darks, yellows & a few reds... no ivory, nothing I'd call light:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/en...lnav=dyes.html

Quote:
I understand you need white shirts, but you don't need 10 white shirts. It sounds like you're going in the opposite direction of grunge by avoiding black and only wanting white. Live a little and make a three or four white and dye the other ones different colors so you have variety in your wardrobe.
You're assuming a bit & taking it too seriously. I'm very tongue-in-cheek. I don't dress grunge but I thought they wore slept-in jeans, unwashed hair & flannel in the 90s? I only look like that on house cleaning day. Perhaps you meant 80s goth a la Bella Lugosi, which isn't my look either.

I have a huge wardrobe including 80+ shirts of various colors, from drab to dark to vibrant to white. All but the French cuff, button down, dressy shirts... my yellowed-whites... get fair rotation, thank you... see, I can live a little.

Yes, I do want to keep this handful white... to pair with suits, but I have been wearing my yellowed-white shirts casually with skirts/jeans lately. But, thanks for the wardrobe tips. I was just looking for whitening tips for no-bleach polys.

And, Garth... you've grossed me out beyond words (well, except for these words...)

Old 12-22-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
In my white clothes, I always add 2 cap full of "Murphy oil soap", plus the detergent and bleech. It does work, have been doing this for years.
Thanks, Night. I tried Murphy's in laundry once. I was moving & wanted to use up the bottle. Even when dried, my towels smelled like oil soap floor cleaner... not sure if it got the clothing cleaner as they weren't whites, I just couldn't take the smell & rewashed that load.

My whites are no-bleach, so I was trying to avoid bleach... others have suggested dishwashing pellets & bluing, which I'll try. I think I'll only find the bluing online unless I run across some old mom & pop general store in my travels & I'm headed out for the pellets today. Hopefully, it will brighten them.

In the old days, my mum used to make her own brown lye soap... she did it for 50-yrs. We used it for everything & it was never harsh on skin or clothing... we used it more for household chores, not bathing. Of course, whites were 100% cotton back then & it's hard to find clothing without a bit of stretchy nylon/lycra/poly. Just spoke with her yesterday (she was a seamstress for years) & she swears that poly just yellows over time... it's the nature of the fabric. Maybe these polys have just yellowed due to age & will remain that way... I can still wear them, I just notice the yellowing when next to brighter whites.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:31 PM

15,148 posts, read 27,821,472 times
I had some yellow on white clothes (smoker here and louvered closet doors) - so that, sunlight, etc. - I soaked the whites in really hot water with Oxy Clean dissolved in it and then washed them - came out great.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:19 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Great info. I'll try the whitening methods, but this dye could be useful for other projects, Hopes, thanks.

Is this the company, by the way? For poly fabrics (iDye)... I don't see anything that differs from what I've seen in Rit... darks, yellows & a few reds... no ivory, nothing I'd call light:

Fabric Dyes for Dyeing Cotton, Rayon, Hemp, Linen
I'm saying it's worth trying the dharma dye (brand the same name as the company) that is for natural materials on cotton blends if you aren't able to get the yellow out.

I agree the iDye is crap. That's why I told you about the dharma dye instead. But only try it on blends as a last resort.

It's a great vibrant dye that doesn't fade for any other projects on natural materials. Pass that Rit right up in the future.

You have to order dharma online unless you live in a large metro area that has speciality art stores.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I had some yellow on white clothes (smoker here and louvered closet doors) - so that, sunlight, etc. - I soaked the whites in really hot water with Oxy Clean dissolved in it and then washed them - came out great.
Thank you, Flamingo. I just returned from the market with Oxyclean, well, the generic brand which was cheaper but the ingredients were the same. They didn't have any electric diswashing liquid that I could see & the price was right... $5 for a huge tub.

I'll soak them like you have... I was going to use cold water (just out of habit), but I'll try hot. Thanks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House