Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 02:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,097,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
That may be true. Too bad it is completely irrelevant because nobody was talking about art preferences, only the means (live or via a computer) to view 2D and 3D art.
I should have phrased this differently to mean the viewing of art in a 2D format so it was not misunderstood as art preferences.

But enough has been said about books, screens, etc. which is really off-topic. The OP asked a question about ideas for a formal dining room which I believe most people have addressed. Library, music room, tech lab--it just matters to personal preference and how one chooses to utilize space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 07:46 AM

964 posts, read 2,649,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Books are still MUCH better to read than trying to read a book online.

Yes, I'd MUCH rather go visit the great museums around the world in person than see the art online. Why would someone NOT want to.

Thank God.
Flipping through e-readers, a skeptic becomes a believer - latimes.com

Because visiting a museum is a hassle. By the time you get tickets and drive there and park and wait in line and fight traffic and ten other time consuming overheads, a person on a PC could have viewed 100 pieces of art from the comfort of his own home, and saved the information and read the history. In fact, for the art lover in the original post, how about a large monitor on the wall with a slide show of famous art pieces with a caption below them. A person could appreciate the art and learn a little about it. Beats reading some little placard next to a vase a museum.

I doubt imaginary beings have anything to do with a person's perception of art.

Old 11-30-2010, 09:34 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,732,843 times
Great ideas and comments here .... thanks so much! Main thing is I'm feeling more confident about it not being a formal dining room. As some have said, it just doesn't look like it's really a fdr, more like an attempt, or trying to make it be one when it's not. I felt the same when I walked through the place the first time, and then each of the 4 times after. The fact that it's a walk-through area - those type of spaces bug me. I have a couple of rooms in my current house that are like that and it's always restricted how I use those spaces. I love open plan living but some rooms just need to be separate, distinct rooms imo. The place where we will have our dining table and chairs in this house is really nice - great natural light and very convenient to the kitchen and family room. That's the way we like to eat and to entertain.

We're thinking of some good quality shelving units or cabinetry to store books and a few display pieces for the short term. Perhaps a comfy chair in the corner and a nice lamp. In the long-term we'll look at knocking down walls to add to the kitchen space on the other side. Always need more space in the kitchen, i.e., pantry space, storage, etc.

Thanks again. It was a lively discussion with valuable insights and information!

Old 12-01-2010, 06:46 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmommy View Post
Flipping through e-readers, a skeptic becomes a believer - latimes.com

Because visiting a museum is a hassle. By the time you get tickets and drive there and park and wait in line and fight traffic and ten other time consuming overheads, a person on a PC could have viewed 100 pieces of art from the comfort of his own home, and saved the information and read the history. In fact, for the art lover in the original post, how about a large monitor on the wall with a slide show of famous art pieces with a caption below them. A person could appreciate the art and learn a little about it. Beats reading some little placard next to a vase a museum.

I doubt imaginary beings have anything to do with a person's perception of art.
Hate to say this, but if you think thats a hassle, you're not that into art.-shrugs-
More room for us art buffs.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:17 AM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,299,817 times

(glad to see you back) (If you haven't come back to Florida yet, don't.
It's freaking cold!)

Vichel, good luck with your orphan room and new home.
Please post pics when you make the change(s).

Old 12-02-2010, 08:40 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,034,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4U View Post

(glad to see you back) (If you haven't come back to Florida yet, don't.
It's freaking cold!)

Vichel, good luck with your orphan room and new home.
Please post pics when you make the change(s).
Lol.....I've been busy with a design project here in Mo, wont be back in Florida til after the first of the year.
DD texted me this morning to tell me how cold it is there, shes whining!
Back on subject, I wanna see pix of what you do with the room, OP!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:36 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,425,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
Hate to say this, but if you think thats a hassle, you're not that into art.-shrugs-
More room for us art buffs.
Agree with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House