Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 08:32 AM

761 posts, read 3,417,947 times

Advertisements

Question on what type of flooring you all have in your kitchen/dining room area or what type of flooring would you want if you don't have it already?

My wife and I are trying to figure out what to put in as right now it is linoleum in the kitchen and carpet in the dining area.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 08:38 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,098,638 times
I have Spanish tile in the kitchen. When we first purchased the house - I really didn't like it that much. But now I love it as it doesn't show the dirt

The dining room has hardwoods and I placed an oriental rug beneath the dining room table.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,017,098 times
Mahogany colored cork flooring in the kitchen (brand new LOVE it)
and original hardwood in the dining room.
The two colors match.
Until I can get back into completely redo my kitchen, then the flooring will be recycled vintage hardwood plank flooring.
Although, I really am thinking that maybe this cork floor is a keeper after all.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:48 AM

11 posts, read 22,322 times
I have porcelain tile in the kitchen and just hate it. My legs and back ache when standing on it for a long time (like in the time it takes to cook a meal); if you drop anything it will shatter in a million pieces or get a dent; the grout gets filthy even if it is sealed. I spent the loast two weekends on m hands and knees scrubbing grout.

If I could do it agaim I'd get cork or bamboo.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:37 AM

761 posts, read 3,417,947 times
Thanks for the input so far. We have really taken tile out for the reasons that ded-tired stated. We do have a dog so that plays into the problem from true hardwood or Bamboo, his claws will mess it up pretty good I am thinking. I really don't like laminate, but found some Pergo that is actually single "boards" that are about 3 inches wide so that might be an option I guess?

Old 03-22-2010, 11:46 AM
bay

425 posts, read 2,927,403 times
we used to have hardwood. we took it out and hubby insists to replace with procelain tile because it so much easier to clean, especially when you have toddler around. Back in my home country, we have tile/granite through the whole house and it's very easy to maintain, but it does hurt when fell. However, we do not have problem with knee and back even my grand mother (85 years old) never complained about her knee and back hurt due to tiles flooring. I don't know that tile flooring make your back hurt??

Old 03-22-2010, 11:59 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,873,529 times
Generic gray tile that the previous owners probably got from Home Depot. If we ever get around to a kitchen remodel, we'll probably replace it with a tile that's more to our taste.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:06 PM

113 posts, read 245,456 times
porcelain tile in the Kitchen, I kind of like it, but I don't know that it was the best choice. Dining room is carpeting. I really like the porcelain tile, but if I were to redo the kitchen and dining room, with the same flooring, I think I would look at cork and look at bamboo, but I don't know much about them, but they sound cool.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:48 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,584,132 times
Tile in the kitchen - no regrets. If you think something shatters when you drop it on tile wait to see what happens to your hardwood floors when you drop a few glasses or untensils accidentally. Wood looks good in kitchens, but I think its impractical. In the dining room we have hardwoods with an area rug.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:54 PM

510 posts, read 2,208,310 times
We used to have a Dark Pergo like laminate floor but now our house is gutted to the studs, and the floor is cement. We will be doing Wilson Art Laminate tile in the kitchen, and laminate wood floor in the dining room and living room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House