Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2010, 04:08 PM

512 posts, read 1,434,361 times

Advertisements

Hi,
we just finished our master bath....and are in the process of buying the shower door (78" by 36"). He gave us an estimate for the door for the regular clear glass for 1350 installed....there's also the option of getting the "ultra-clear" that doesn't have the green color on the edge for an additional 130 dollars.

any suggestions? ideas? is this worth the extra money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 04:47 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,538,403 times
I think this is more a matter of taste and design. Did he show you glass samples of each? If so, which did you think would look better in your bathroom?

Old 10-14-2010, 05:04 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie1234 View Post
Hi,
we just finished our master bath....and are in the process of buying the shower door (78" by 36"). He gave us an estimate for the door for the regular clear glass for 1350 installed....there's also the option of getting the "ultra-clear" that doesn't have the green color on the edge for an additional 130 dollars.

any suggestions? ideas? is this worth the extra money?

I did my master bath over a few years ago and went with the Ultra Clear. The only way to describe it is the clear glass is like looking though a Coke bottle,it has that "greenish" hue.My shower is a neo-angle and is pretty large with 3 large pieces of glass so I wanted it as clear as possible.I think it was well worth the extra money.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:16 PM

45 posts, read 249,380 times
Some folks are particular and some aren't. You can be one who obsesses or just do it and usually either way you go you'll never think about it again. Spots on the glass over the long term are more important. Sometimes there are coatings but I squeegee after every use. I have green and I don't notice the difference. It helps to have something interesting to look at on the other side of the glass. If the view is interesting, you'll never pay attention to the glass. If the tile or enclosure or whatever is white on white tile then I lean towards ultraclear.

Old 10-14-2010, 06:45 PM

512 posts, read 1,434,361 times
the tiles are light brown. the shower itself is 5 by 5 with the rest of the bathroom being 9 by 4. he said 130 is the direct cost from the glass shop. no upmark.
i really don't know which will look better. he showed a sample of each and the regular clear is pretty green on the edges. the clear is pretty color less. but both looked good.

not sure what to do.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:22 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
There's two ways to look at this-
One, You just want someone to makeup your mind for you. O.K., spend the money! Hell, it's only 130 bucks and you're the only one that will know. That being said, let's backup a bit.
Low iron (ultra-clear) glass doesn't have the slight green tint to it that regular tempered glass has- and normally is only noticeable when looking at the edge or when the background behind the glass is not highlighted. So, if you have a light within the enclosure- burn it all the time and the tile on the walls will look normal. Otherwise, the tiles may look a little darker than they actually are.
Two, from a resale prospective- will that extra 130 bucks get the house sold for more- probably not. Will the fact that the shower has a frameless door get the house sold- probably not. Would it be an item to "point out" in a sales pitch- probably not.

Another note- as a builder of semi-custom homes for over 18+yrs the overwhelming majority of shower enclosures/shower doors that I have had installed are not clear glass (most notable for seeing the "green"), most of my buyers prefer obscure, rain drop, cascade, or frosted. And I've only had one buyer that actually professed to why- I had surmised for a longtime- "I don't want to see, or have others see what is in my shower".

Last edited by K'ledgeBldr; 10-15-2010 at 09:51 AM..

Old 10-15-2010, 02:18 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,807,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Another note- as a builder of semi-custom homes for over 18+yrs the overwhelming majority of shower enclosures/shower doors that I have had installed are not clear glass (most notable for seeing the "green"), most of my buyers prefer obscure, rain drop, cascade, or frosted. And I've only had one buyer that actually professed to why- I had surmised for a longtime- "I don't want to see, or have others see what is in my shower".

It's funny how different things are from area to area.In the 28+ years in construction here I've never seen anyone use anything but clear or ultra clear glass for a custom shower unit. To spend thousands on tile and borders and obscure it with frosted glass would be a total waste of money.You might as well just hang a shower curtain and call it a day....lol

But I do agree that spending the extra $ on ultra clear glass won't get you any more resale value,it's all a matter of personal taste.If you have the extra $130.00 go with the ultra clear,if you go with the clear and don't like the green look you're stuck with it .Once you get that 5' piece of glass up you're going to notice a difference from the smaller samples.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,436,651 times
We also just got thru with a whole house remodel and a bathroom addition. We now have a newly built 10 foot shower, with 6 shower heads 2 above and 4 on the sides. We have 2 huge seats, huge, and 6 recessed shelves. The shower is done with travertine, marble and moasic tile. And done with so many decorative features. We have travertine and a marble border. Custom cherry cabinetry, beautiful 3 quorum lighting series the madeline series, and 3 beautiful separate mirros oval, they are gorgeous. We have tiled walls with the travertine and marble, and a decorative paint ceiling application. In our huge shower, we went with a stain glass window, it is beautiful. We went with the clear for our shower, the shower that has the new film on it, so that water runs right off of it. It is a coating i believe that is put on by the factory. I love it, it cleans up the water so easily, i use to hate cleaing my old shower, but not this beauty. I really feel it is a matter of taste, and your style. We went with the new framelss style, but this is what i wanted, as far as resale value, don't think we will be moving for a while, we just added more then 1,200 sq ft to our home, don't think i care about resale value, i have everything now i wanted in a home, and did it my way. Do as you want, and the extra money in reality is really not that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House