Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times

Advertisements

Here is the picture that one realtor listing shows of the entry door. All a burglar would need to do is break the small pane (by the locks), then reach a hand inside to unlock the dead-bolt and the door handle. Almost cries out to a thief to break in! And the listing says there is no alarm system on the house. If you owned this house, would you replace the door?
Attached Thumbnails
A window on the outside door frame.  Need an alarm?-window-entry-door.png  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 02:56 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,823,179 times
NO.
I would replace the deadbolt with a double-key version.
Some people don't like double-key because of the perceived safety issue related to quick egress.
I had them in 2 houses for 26+ years and never had a problem nor concern.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:01 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Did either of those houses burn down?
I'd leave the key by the door, but out of reach of an arm though those windows, just in case.

Old 07-23-2013, 03:21 PM

396 posts, read 1,852,223 times
Quote:
If the burglar already broke one pane and realized the deadbolt won't unlock, then wouldn't s/he just break more of those small panes, kick-in the thin wooden window frames, and crawl through that big opening in the door?

Seems like the window in the door provides the temptation (maybe the burglar would've skipped that house if it was a solid door).

Old 07-23-2013, 03:26 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Well, since I put in a door like that... I'd have to say I would NOT replace it.

A burglar can just as easily break any window in the house and gain access. Are you planning to replace those also?

I am wondering if you are buying a house in a very sketchy neighborhood, since another of your posts mentions worries about someone squatting in your shed....

Old 07-23-2013, 03:28 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
If the burglar already broke one pane and realized the deadbolt won't unlock, then wouldn't s/he just break more of those small panes, kick-in the thin wooden window frames, and crawl through that big opening in the door?
And monkeys might fly out of my butt.

Seriously, you are overthinking this homeownership business to the point of paranoia. You're never going to enjoy your home if you don't relax.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:18 PM

Default No fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Did either of those houses burn down?
No.
I found this to be interesting How Common Are House Fires? | Free By 50
I would interpret the data as:
1. Always have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen within easy reach.
2. Most likely, you will be awake when the fire starts.
3. In a house with modern, up-to-code heating and electrical about the only cause of a fire is going to be a kitchen fire.

Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM

Default No, he would not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky-Blue View Post
Here is an experiment to try after you buy the house.
Find a beefy guy and ask him to kick the door as hard as he can right below the door handle and lock.
I guarantee that the door jam will shatter and he can simply walk thru the open door.

This happened to us in 1985. Angle iron in the door frame solved the problem.

Or, ask Ohiogirl81 to lend you her monkeys and watch then come down the chimney and unlock the door to let the burglar inside.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:04 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
NO.
Some people don't like double-key because of the perceived safety issue related to quick egress.
Major code violation. An exit door must be openable without use of a key or special knowledge. Period, end of story. We had a fire in a nightclub some years back where they had chained doors shut. People die with this added stupidity. Currently, schools are locking doors in this fashion claiming they need to protect the students. I'm waiting for this to become an issue. Doors, windows used as exits should never be blocked, so that an individual cannot escape.

If this is in a high crime area change the door.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:45 PM

2,156 posts, read 3,333,163 times
Most doors and deadlocks are often held together by short screws and can be kick open with few hard kicks. So even if they don't break the glass, chances are they can easily kick down your door.

First, you reinforce that door, after that, you have a few options. As someone said, use double-key locks. But if you do that, a key must be near (hanging on the wall) that door at ALL TIMES, in case of fire....but far enough that someone reaching from outside can not reach that key. And everyone living in the house must know where that key is at all times.

Second, you can install "Security window films". The security film will keep intruders from breaking your window or it will take so long, they go elsewhere.

Third, change that door.

Fourth, Get a simple alarm that goes off when that door is hit, kick or open. But if you aren't home, aren't going to do you any good. You can also get a cheap motion sensor alarm that goes off in that area. The sensor will even call you, letting you know that someone is in that area of the house if you set it up to call you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House