Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:05 PM

10,115 posts, read 19,422,165 times

Advertisements

We just moved to an area with very hard water. it even tastes nasty!

I've noticed our clothes have taken on a different hue, like they're not as bright as they used to be.

Short of installing a water softener, what can I do to make my clothes come cleaner? More detergent? less detergent? Clorox 2? Vinegar? Baking soda? Hot, warm, cold water?

Ok, for colors, I did this last night----more water, less detergent, along with Clorox 2. also, ran the wash cycle 2x--caught it before the spin began and re did it. Then, did 2 rinses. Clothes definitely looked better, but hey, that makes for one heck of a water bill!

Also, last night, for towels, I simply washed them in hot water and white vinegar. You couldn't believe the soap that came out! I washed them 3x that way, each time it looked like I'd poured a ton of detergent in. Those towels came out looking brand new, fluffy, colors bright, it was simply amazing how much old soap was in them.

But I hesitate to do that with our colored clothes, for fear of stirpping the remaining color.

So, suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 01:25 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
it was simply amazing how much old soap was in them.
The biggest problem with hard water is the calcium and mineral deposits. That's what causes laundry to get dingy with hard water.

If you are using a soap based product, then old soap would have been part of the problem.

Make sure you are using a detergent based product instead of a soap based product. Soap based products dont' clean as well in hard water.

Chose a liquid laundry detergent that is for cold water. It can be used in hot water too. But it rinses more easily in any water temperature.

Then, use either of the following as a BOOSTER to your laundry detergent. You won't need to use hot water on colors. Warm water wash and cold water rinse should be just fine.

20 Mule Team Borax

Cascade Dishwasher Detergent

Half a cup of either will be enough.

If you are washing in cold water, you need to desolve powder detergent booster in hot water prior to adding it to the cold wash water.

There is NO REASON to use MORE detergent or MORE booster than recommended for the load size.

Old 09-04-2010, 06:36 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,372,654 times
Get your water tested, you can get free bottles from your local health department.

See what you are dealing with and go from there.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Personally I would put in a water softener. You can rent one for about $20/month plus salt. It will keep water spots off your dishes, keep your clothes cleaner, keep water spots off your bath fixtures, etc. You also use about 1/10th of the soap and shampoo you would without one.

Old 09-04-2010, 10:15 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,124,939 times
I personally hate soft water.

I never feel like I can get clean in the shower. Can't get the shampoo and body soap rinsed off, even with using less. My skin and hair just felt scummy to me.

That's probably why the OP got so much soap out of her towels: years of soap build up while she was living in a soft water area and soap not getting rinsed out of her laundry.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,823,250 times
Water softener is the way to go. With hard water it stains everything and doesn't allow the detergent to work right, not to mention over time will clog up the washer.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Water softener is the way to go. With hard water it stains everything and doesn't allow the detergent to work right, not to mention over time will clog up the washer.
It depends on the hardness.

I have never used a softener on my hard water.

The best thing to do is test the water.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,346,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I personally hate soft water.

I never feel like I can get clean in the shower. Can't get the shampoo and body soap rinsed off, even with using less. My skin and hair just felt scummy to me.

That's probably why the OP got so much soap out of her towels: years of soap build up while she was living in a soft water area and soap not getting rinsed out of her laundry.
Actually it is just the opposite-hard water leaves a film on your skin, doesn't rinse as well but if you are not used to soft water you don't have that film so it feels different. If you used soft water for a while and went back to hard water you would feel the difference in your hair and your skin.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Actually it is just the opposite-hard water leaves a film on your skin, doesn't rinse as well but if you are not used to soft water you don't have that film so it feels different. If you used soft water for a while and went back to hard water you would feel the difference in your hair and your skin.
It all depends on the water.

Old 09-04-2010, 05:41 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,325,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
I totally agree with you-Have always had soft water-no problem. This is our first time with hard water-all the white residue. Even my hair has noticed the difference! I realized it it on vacation where it was soft water.
We are doing a water softener.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House