Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 01:04 AM

34 posts, read 85,032 times

Advertisements

i collect rainwater for my job(window cleaner) and love the softness,it makes great bubbles . obviously i cant drink it but it feels good on my skin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 08:45 AM

3 posts, read 6,979 times
Default Chemical Treatment vs Water Softener

I know people don't like to spend money on another appliance in their home. But I am a true believer in a water softener. A lot of companies rent them and sell them. The rental price let's say is $27.00 per month. That seems like you are adding $27.00 a month to your bills. But that is being near sighted and not looking at the savings associated with a water softener. I don't care if you do have a water softener or not, you are still treating your water. If you don't have a water softener you are treating your water "chemically". The chemical method is more expensive. The problem with seeing it as a more expensive method is that the chemical method is made up of many, many expenses here and there. More Laundry detergent, more wear and tear on water using appliances, high water heater energy bills, more shampoo, conditioners and lotions and the list goes on and on. It's hard to put a finger on the chemical method costs because they are spread out. A water softener saves time and money. A fixed cost, over let's say a 5 year rental agreement is much better than the moving target of the ever increasing chemical method which is already more expensive than an ion exchange softener. You can either try to clean up the mess that hard water makes after it enters your home or treat it at the point of entry and experience the savings of money and time cleaning up after it. If you don't like the slippery feeling bleed a couple of grains of hardness to the product water. If water is about 2 grains hard it is still considered soft but you won't feel as slimy. Personally I like the slippery feeling because I know it is my skin being able to lubricate itself. In fact they did a study in Great Britain about eczema BBC NEWS | Health | Water softener eczema relief hope It found hard water areas had more incidents of eczema than soft water areas. It even spells out that when kids that have eczema switch to soft water their symptoms where reduced or ended. That's because you are no longer covered with "chemicals" That's why I like the slippery feeling. I know that I am not covered with "chemicals".

Old 01-05-2011, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
ok what i want to know is there something i can put in my laundry to make the water soft without getting a water softerner?????

Old 09-05-2016, 10:59 AM

4 posts, read 2,040 times
I need to know if anyone use 20 mule team borax in very hot water? If so do your towels ever get stained or have big blue spots on them?

Old 09-05-2016, 02:58 PM

993 posts, read 2,293,553 times
I usually use borax when washing my towels in hot water and I've never had that problem. Could there be something in your water that's reacting with the borax? We have very hard water (high iron content) but also have a water softener.

Old 09-05-2016, 03:12 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
I think you need a water softener. But don't have them hook the kitchen faucet up to it, because you don't want to ingest the salt from the softener. I had a softener at my last house, but we did not hook it up to the kitchen faucet. So laundry and bathing was done with the treated, softened water. Our water was not that hard, so I think it was safe to drink. But in your case, I'd get a filtered pitcher for drinking water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House