Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 09:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times

Advertisements

Since we all love to post about any time a domestic brand issues a recall...

With Addition of 573,000 Accords, Total Number of Hondas Recalled for Fire Hazard Reaches 1.1 Million - NYTimes.com

Quote:
As part of the fourth recall relating to the problem, Honda announced it would recall about 573,000 Accords from the 2003-7 model years equipped with V-6 engines because of a potential fire hazard. The recall plan was submitted in a report to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Thursday.

The most recent action meant that since 2007, roughly 1.1 million Hondas and Acuras have been recalled in the United States over the same concern: high temperatures in the engine compartment causing a power-steering hose to deteriorate and possibly leak. If power-steering fluid touches a hot surface, it can catch fire.
It can catch on fire....

This just isn't possible...it's Honda...they are the best...this must be a government conspiracy to discredit Japanese car makers and prop up Government Motors...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 AM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Not only are they ugly, they are undependable now. Nice job Honda.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Oh boy, time to get some popcorn... here come the nutjobs!!!

Old 10-02-2012, 10:09 AM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Ding ding ding! We have a moron!

Seriously though, I've never owned a Honda but recalls happen to all manufacturers. Overall it doesn’t seem overly serious if taken care of and definitely better than holding off on a recall and waiting for the fires to start. An issue like this takes a while to surface because you have to wait for the hose to deteriorate before the first failure takes place.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
Ding ding ding! We have a moron!

Seriously though, I've never owned a Honda but recalls happen to all manufacturers. Overall it doesn’t seem overly serious if taken care of and definitely better than holding off on a recall and waiting for the fires to start. An issue like this takes a while to surface because you have to wait for the hose to deteriorate before the first failure takes place.
I hope you know the only reason I even posted this is because everytime there is a domestic recall it gets posted and several regulars swoop by to proclaim what a steaming pile of crap everything from Detroit is.

FWIW, there were a couple of fires, but no injuries. What I find surprising is the way Honda handled this. The issue has been around since 2007 and first came to light on Acura TL's. They have continually expanded the recall to additional Acura's and now to Honda Accords. I don't want to beat on them, but it's typical of the Japanese manufacturers. They knew the issue was in other vehicles because they used the same parts, they just weren't going to recall it until issues popped up and their hand was forced.

All manufacturers have recalls and issues, ultimately that was sort of my reason for posting it, to reinforce that point. In my experience though, the domestics, especially GM have a much better track record then the Japanese brands in terms of initiating recalls and correcting known issues.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I hope you know the only reason I even posted this is because everytime there is a domestic recall it gets posted and several regulars swoop by to proclaim what a steaming pile of crap everything from Detroit is.

FWIW, there were a couple of fires, but no injuries. What I find surprising is the way Honda handled this. The issue has been around since 2007 and first came to light on Acura TL's. They have continually expanded the recall to additional Acura's and now to Honda Accords. I don't want to beat on them, but it's typical of the Japanese manufacturers. They knew the issue was in other vehicles because they used the same parts, they just weren't going to recall it until issues popped up and their hand was forced.

All manufacturers have recalls and issues, ultimately that was sort of my reason for posting it, to reinforce that point. In my experience though, the domestics, especially GM have a much better track record then the Japanese brands in terms of initiating recalls and correcting known issues.
I wouldn't say domestics are any better. More recently many manufacturers have been quicker to disclose issues (following the nonexistent run away Toyota issue) but this has more to do with maintaining appearances and less to do with good will. At the end of the day, all manufacturers will experience yearly recalls of various magnitudes and this won't keep me from buying a car whether domestic or import.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I wouldn't say domestics are any better. More recently many manufacturers have been quicker to disclose issues (following the nonexistent run away Toyota issue) but this has more to do with maintaining appearances and less to do with good will. At the end of the day, all manufacturers will experience yearly recalls of various magnitudes and this won't keep me from buying a car whether domestic or import.
I agree 100%, they are all being very forthcoming these days after Toyota got beat up over it. We could delve back into the Toyota thing, but it wasn't "non-existent". What Toyota was primarily fined for was ignoring their own internal engineering and field reports about floormat issues dating back to 2006. They had reached a volume that should have triggered them contacting NHTSA to launch an investigation, but they buried it.

None of them are perfect and Ford is easily the worst of the domestics, but in general I find GM to be very forthcoming with their recalls and TSB's then most of the others. Honda has been, IMO, traditionally the worst. That's just my experience though.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:30 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Nothing in the report suggested they are "undependable". A single faulty part CAN catch on fire. Every car CAN catch on fire.

Here's an idea. Buy a relatively dependable Honda. If it catches on fire, see if you can figure out for yourself that the prudent recourse is to exit the vehicle and stand upwind from the flames. Let your insurance buy you a new Honda, and continue on your trip. Until that happens, check your hoses when you change your oil.

Meanwhile, continue to forward those annoying emails from your aunt that warn you in huge colored fonts that Hondas are made by Chinese, Muslims, Illegal Aliens, Liberals and/or Obama.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-02-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 10-02-2012, 01:16 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,282,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
^This. And it's so predictable that any time a Japanese recall gets posted, the first (and most) posts will be about how all manufacturers have recalls so it's not a big deal. So why is it a big deal if a domestic manufacturer has a recall and not a big deal if an import manufacturer has a recall? It's a double standard here and on most automotive forums.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
^This. And it's so predictable that any time a Japanese recall gets posted, the first (and most) posts will be about how all manufacturers have recalls so it's not a big deal. So why is it a big deal if a domestic manufacturer has a recall and not a big deal if an import manufacturer has a recall? It's a double standard here and on most automotive forums.
I don't know about other members but I don't care if the recall is for domestics or not. Unless the cars are exploding at random and severing the heads off babies then I chalk it up to part of owning a complicated machine. I don't mind dropping the car off at the dealer for infrequent recall service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Honda and Acura