Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 02:24 PM

58 posts, read 92,777 times

Advertisements

I need to paint my exterior shutters a new color. What is the best, easiest way to do it? My bro-in-law took his off and spray painted them. They look great from the road. What kind of paint should I use? I have a tan house. Would brown look nice? I was also thinking of a red front door. Thank you for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:28 PM

473 posts, read 716,305 times
we spray painted ours. they are vinyl. scrubbed and power washed first, then dried completely. they look fine.
as for color, you are on your own there.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:02 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,760,476 times
I think spray painting is definitely the way to go, too many crevices to do it any other way.

As for color, I love tan houses with black shutters...

Old 04-05-2010, 03:58 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,995,131 times
Spray is the way to go - use exterior house paint & a sprayer.
Better yet order new ones - a set of 4 cost me only $80 - vinyl andi can be ordered in a wide range of colors. Check those out before you go to the trouble of painting!

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,662,658 times
I painted mine with a brush because i was not choosing a standard color. we purchased the "paintable" vinyl shutters. they turned out great. it was more time consuming than spraying, but the outcome was really worth the effort. I used benjamin moore exterior house paint.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:35 AM

129 posts, read 525,796 times
If the shutters are vinyl they MUST be painted with latex/water based.

Oil/solvent-based will peel.

For vinyl - scratch coat with sandpaper and either brush out or spray.

Slat shutters:
When brushing, do the slats in a seperate section first, then the border and be prepared the catch runs that let out the inner corners. Try not to load on the material in these areas to prevent this from happening.

Make sure the slits are gotten for lower view, especially if 2nd story windows.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:07 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,174,303 times
I have done this twice. One house had metal shutters that had slats, my current house have vinyl, no slats. I spray painted both. I think Tan and a burgundy or barn red color looks really nice. Follow suit with the door to have a cohesive look. White and tan look really nice together as well, gives it a clean crisp look. Brown is okay but I think its a more dated combo. I love brown but I think on the outside of the house gives it a 70's look. Hunter green is also an option. Barn red, hunter green and obviously white are available in spray cans.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times
If vinyl some makers now make paints especially for plastics.Its tough enough to use on plastic furniture outdoors.You will proably have to go to a paint store to get it. I would defintely spray paint using a rented airless sprayer if no one has one.It will make short work of the shutters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating