Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 11:37 AM

238 posts, read 1,248,387 times

Advertisements

While househunting in SC I fell in love with the plantation shutters we saw in some of the homes. They add such a classic look to the home. Coming from the Northeast I have never seen them in homes (atleast in my area!)...just in movies or on TV.
Are there different types/brands to consider? Also, (and I am almost afraid to ask because I really, really want them in our next home) how much do they cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2007, 11:44 AM

919 posts, read 3,186,272 times
They can be very expensive, depends if you get custom or wood or plastic...I got custom ones for my kitchen in my last home and I then got wood ones at a garage sale for like 20 dollars for the rest of home...it helped sell my home, the new owners fell in love with my shutters! I miss them!

Old 12-16-2007, 01:34 PM

394 posts, read 2,004,414 times
My husband has ordered shutters in the past from shuttercraft.com, he does high end carpentry and woodworking for people. I guess the construction of the shutters are good. I can tell you I've seen their bills come in the mail, and they aren't cheap. But looking is free.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:38 AM

506 posts, read 2,150,763 times
We have them in our house and love them. They're expensive (!) but beautiful and timeless in appearance. Ours are the large 4" blades and are made of faux wood (polywood) that looks and feels exactly like wood but will never warp, crack or discolor. The shutter company recommended them since our largest window (6' wide x 8' tall) gets direct afternoon sun, which can be brutal here (Dallas). We wanted all to match so we have polywood on all the windows in the house. I don't remember what the total cost was since we did it in two phases, the last of which was around 5 years ago, but I do remember that just the large window by itself was around $2,000 about 8 years ago. Ours were all custom and manufactured by Sunburst Shutters. We have no complaints.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:20 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,381,980 times
I wanted them in my family room and they ran over $500.00 per window (the size is like 36 X 66) mind you I went with blinds but I am going to get them for my bathroom window, they will run about $170.00 per window and I have 3 so that won't be so bad.

Old 12-17-2007, 06:37 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,479,239 times
I don't remember what my cheapest window costs, but I remember my most expensive one - $800 (for one window!).

Still, I consider them an investment for the home. They will stay with the home when I sell it and I can't imagine anyone would not want to keep them up.

I went with custom made shutters from a local manufacturer. They are a wood-polymer type. Even with our harsh sun, the color has remained true and they have not warped or anything - they still look and function as if brand new.

They are so useful and practical and easy to clean - go for the wide board type for the easiest cleaning and the most authentic look, IMO .

Old 12-18-2007, 09:06 PM

Thanks so much for your replies...hhmm..this is going to be a tough one to run by hubby.. Why do I always like thngs that cost so much!!
I love the idea of putting them in the bathroom windows..Actually I love the idea of putting Plantation shutters in all the windows..oh well...I'll have to see what we end getting for our house when we sell it in next year..

Old 12-19-2007, 05:30 PM

506 posts, read 2,150,763 times
The good thing is that, if you go with an established manufacturer, you can do your windows in phases! That's what we did and, although it took a few years, they all match.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt2le View Post
The good thing is that, if you go with an established manufacturer, you can do your windows in phases! That's what we did and, although it took a few years, they all match.
ooohh...I like that idea!! Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 08:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Default Best price around!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR57 View Post
While househunting in SC I fell in love with the plantation shutters we saw in some of the homes. They add such a classic look to the home. Coming from the Northeast I have never seen them in homes (atleast in my area!)...just in movies or on TV.
Are there different types/brands to consider? Also, (and I am almost afraid to ask because I really, really want them in our next home) how much do they cost?
Yes, plantation shutters can be QUITE expensive . . .but here is the best company I have found . . . with the lowest prices . . . and do not hesitate to consider the polymer. Have them in my bathrooms and (in my opinion) having polymer rather than wood in moist environment may be an advantage over wood . . . and is a heck of a lot cheaper!

Check these guys out . . . they own a manufacturing facility . . . http://www.louvershop.com/index.html (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating