Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 01:58 PM

141 posts, read 589,590 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We are repainting our home, getting ready to sell it. I have in my family room: maple flooring (light), white wood trim. Its an open floor plan to the eating area and the kitchen. Kitchen cabinets are a light maple. The counter is blues-grey-white countertop, blue sink, white appliances. The walls are white.
There are six 36" wide windows on the two sides of the family room, facing south. I get sun most of the day. We have a sunroom off of it, and its done in a bright blue with white whicker furniture, so you can see this room from the door.
Problem is my sofa. It has beige background plus flowers of: blues, pinks, golds and a little white. Outside of selling the sofa...
What is your solution to my sofa problem so we can sell our home ????
( I also have one floral chair, but that is all in this room except for my kids toys, which will be put away)
thanks,
sea world bound
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 03:52 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,393,905 times
What about finding a slip cover for the sofa?

I always like the combo of crisp blue, clean white, and golden yellow, like a buttery color. Maybe try to pull some of that from the sofa. I used a color called popcorn ball by Behr that I really liked. It was very subtle but very warm and friendly.

Old 02-23-2010, 04:27 PM

thanks,
I was trying not to do that, I will as a last resort. Those colors are colors I have used in the rest of the house, which I guess I should just re-paint it all beige. I was hoping to tie in the blue in the sunroom and the blue sink and blues laminate...

I was hoping there was a light blue that would show a tad blue but not wash out against all the white wood trim I have, plus the sun.

Is blue a neutral color for selling a home?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:29 PM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
Do you really want to sell this house? Judging by your posts about the colors, you seem to be torn about selling it at all.
If this is truly what you want to do, sell it, then you need to go neutral everywhere in the house, declutter, remove personal photos, etc etc.
It is not fun to live in, but it is the way to get it to sell faster.
If you are not willing to do that, then maybe you don't really want to sell?

Old 02-23-2010, 07:36 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Do you really want to sell this house? Judging by your posts about the colors, you seem to be torn about selling it at all.
If this is truly what you want to do, sell it, then you need to go neutral everywhere in the house, declutter, remove personal photos, etc etc.
It is not fun to live in, but it is the way to get it to sell faster.
If you are not willing to do that, then maybe you don't really want to sell?

Excellent point!

Blue is only a neutral in Bermuda . And even then it comes down to taste and preference.

If you are not selling a house in the tropics, and you want $$$, you need to go with a neutral: white (some debate ), cream or beige.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:03 AM

No, I just don't like beige, can't stand it! And we had white walls for a very long time, so I had to live with them until I did the rooms. It was a very white house for years.

Yes, we are de-cluttering now, and selling all we can and storing what we want to keep. Personal items are already removed mostly.

No, I would rather pick this house up and move it with me, but we will not be needing this size and that it not possible. I just love colors.

thanks!!

Old 02-24-2010, 07:40 AM

Hi,
Ok. I am painting my first floor all beige. The family-Kitchen area I can do, but what about my dining room, living room and my foyer? You see all of these rooms when you enter the house? (alll white wood trim) Since beige is going to be it, can I paint family/room one color of beige (it gets the most sun), the living room which only has wood furniture in it, no fabric at all)another beige, and the dining room another beige? How do you determine which beige for each room? Then what about the foyer? One wall in the foyer goes into the living room?
All one color is foreign to me, I am a color person. I can pull all my colors together and accent the house. I have always been complimented on my homes decor, but all one color, I am totally lost!
I have maple on the floor, maple on the kitchen cabinets, and both are a light beige, so if I add another light beige to the walls, won't that all just blend in????
I can make a slipcover for my sofa, as I have recovered furniture before, but what color?
Do I pick up the blue in the the laminate kitchen? the grey in it? The blue sink will stay as it was a large custom sink. The oven in built into the wall, and the cutout was cut out of the cabinets to fit it, and its a convection oven, so it stays. As do the rest of the appliances, as the cabinets were built around them and the wood covers them. The fridge is white, but it sits even with the cabinets and does NOT stick out like most of them do in homes.

I have an account at Lowe's, so my paint will be coming from there.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM

4,156 posts, read 11,014,110 times
I really think you need to post some pictures, it would really help!

Old 02-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Hi,
I would except for the fact, I no longer have the rooms as they once were, they now have white walls, ladders, and plastic covering furniture. As I stated, we are putting items to keep away in containers, boxes, etc and they are in the rooms, ready to move to storage. I have antique furniture that I need to have stored safely. I want to move everything out of here in one trip. I don't want to paint until I can open the windows, but I will have rooms ready to go and then paint one right the other.

i found this link this am. our house is similar to this...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...inscoting.html

Old 02-25-2010, 11:25 AM

5,120 posts, read 16,603,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
...I have maple on the floor, maple on the kitchen cabinets, and both are a light beige, so if I add another light beige to the walls, won't that all just blend in????
Yeah, a beige in the kitchen might not be the best idea. And with a blue sink and blue/gray laminate, I'd leave the kitchen walls white. As far as what beige for the family room, dining room and foyer, I'd say find a beige color you like. Then on that same sample card, find a lighter or darker hue and go from there. The family room walls which have the most sun shining on them can be a darker hue of beige. Since you have maple flooring in each of these rooms, perhaps you should be looking at some browns instead of beiges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating