Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 12:58 AM

664 posts, read 1,948,173 times

Advertisements

So after doing some more research on IKEA couches I decided not to go with them. And I found a couch similar to the one I wanted from Ikea for about the same price. I also put a chair on there too, I know they don't match exactly I was just playing around. My question is, how is the quality overall for pottery barn furniture? I have nver bought anything from them and always thought they were really expensive, but like I said I found this sofa from PB for about the same price as the IKEA one. Here it is:

Shopping Cart | Pottery Barn

What do you think?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 12:59 AM

1,208 posts, read 1,833,739 times
I've not bought much from Pottery Barn, but I recently got a catalogue and they have some cute stuff!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:56 AM

61,888 posts, read 87,385,514 times
Check Crate and Barrel - a bit cheaper than Pottery Barn, but has some cute stuff too...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,465,704 times
I've bought some furniture from Pottery barn, most recently three wine bars and storage hutches. When I saw it online I thought it was a bit overpriced but, when it all arrived, I was in awe. I actually think it was a bit underpriced for the quality and workmanship. The pieces were packed very well and shipping was very fast too. I've bought smaller pieces there online too and have always been very pleased.

I've also bought from Crate and Barrel and the quality is comparable to Pottery Barn.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:47 PM

664 posts, read 1,948,173 times
Thanks everyone for your input! There is a PB outlet store about 50 mins away, I will go check it out sometime so maybe I can get more of a feel for their furniture and quality and all that, even though they probably won't have the exact sofa I want I can site on the ones they do have and get a feel for it. I am really liking these custon slipcover looks on sofas. Before I always thought of slipcovers as the big bulky ill fitting ones that you would put over a really ugly couch, I didn't really know they came so custom and I love the look of them. Since I am doing an island/beach inspired LR these couches would work the best overall.
I also did some looking around online and for a custon slipcover sofa I couldn't find one any cheaper then around 1k.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,978,814 times
Much of the Pottery Barn furniture is garbage and not constructed well. Some of it though, like their sofas, is better made. You really have to look at it in person and make your judgement based on the piece, IMO.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:46 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,067,132 times
A few years ago one of the major news magazines (I can't remember which one) did an expose on the furniture sold through Pottery Barn and other similar stores. I remember that they found that some of the Pottery Barn furniture was made with plywood and pressboard - furniture that had been advertised as being made with hardwood and hardwood veneers only. A few years ago that article was buzzing around the home decorating forums - I wish I had a copy of it.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,264,557 times
I love my Pottery Barn furniture, but I have a tv cabinet and bookshelves. I believe PB, Crate & Barrel and West Elm is all the same company.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:41 PM

Here are some useful hints: » Furniture Shopping Secrets: How to Tell Superior from Shoddy | Get Rich Slowly

Old 02-10-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
A few years ago one of the major news magazines (I can't remember which one) did an expose on the furniture sold through Pottery Barn and other similar stores. I remember that they found that some of the Pottery Barn furniture was made with plywood and pressboard - furniture that had been advertised as being made with hardwood and hardwood veneers only. A few years ago that article was buzzing around the home decorating forums - I wish I had a copy of it.
Yeah... check this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...e-quality.html

I have very nice dining room table, all SOLID wood and home bar of very good quality ( Crate & Barrel). Maybe things had changed after the disclosure in 2006
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating