Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:06 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,093,527 times

Advertisements

I own a sofa that looks exactly like one from Pottery Barn (Charleston sofa) only I bought it from a furniture store. I bought it about 10 years ago and it has held up well (no tears in the fabric, no creaks or broken wood). But it is difficult to keep clean (I have it in Natural/off-white) and it always appears rumpled/wrinkly.

Have you looked at discount furniture stores? Honestly, i think alot of these folks just get their furniture from the same supplier, only someone like Pottery Barn sticks it in a showroom and shows it a certain way and adds the extra $$$ on it.

I just bought a new house and debating about bringing my sofa. First, it is quite large. Second, I'm not thrilled with the style (the skirt and slipcover-look aren't really in style anymore; I want to see legs on the sofa). In fact, I'm looking for something more sleek--not totally modern but something that blends sleek with the traditional.

I have a great piece in the parlor -- a vintage loveseat made of dark carved wood and wool/mohair fabric. I turned it over and it has thick springs, ties, and I think it's stuffed with horsehair or some kind of hair (???). Which brings me to another suggestion -- have you scoured your local thrift shops or consignment stores? You might find a style you like and it may or may not need to be re-upholstered. I prefer the older furniture because of the quality and if this is the route, depending on what you need done, it will be far less than the $1,400-$2,000 price tag of sofas you've been looking at.

The other thing about Pottery Barn is that I think the styles are homogeneous and boring.

Anyway, I hope you find something suitable and enjoy the sofa-hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,849,024 times
I'd also throw in a recommendation for Room & Board:

Welcome to Room & Board

As odd as furniture by mail sounds, we're very happy with the dining table and bed we bought from them, and would definitely buy from them again if they had what we needed.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:43 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,054,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yeah... check this thread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...e-quality.html

I have very nice dining room table, all SOLID wood and home bar of very good quality ( Crate & Barrel). Maybe things had changed after the disclosure in 2006
I do think things have changed - I do think that you can find similar furniture locally (depending on where you are) for less money. Many furniture stores have great yearly and liquidation sales. Knowing what constitutes quality furniture is very important.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:34 AM

664 posts, read 1,947,032 times
^^^ I live in the San Diego area so you would think I could find a store. All the ones I have seen, non carry the custon slipvoered sofas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating