Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:50 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times

Advertisements

We are moving into a new townhouse soon. Downstairs is a pretty open floor plan, with the kitchen open to a family room space w/fireplace, and next to it is a room designated on the floor plans as a "dining" room. The dining area has a 1/2 wall on two sides, so as to give it some separation from the family room and the foyer/entrance (see pictures).

How else might we use this dining space? We are middle aged, no kids yet, and don't plan to do a lot of formal dining, so if we plop a dining table in that room, it may only be used a few times a year. Sort of a waste of space. A room for more guests to sit would probably be more useful. We have a kitchen island for 2 to eat at, as well as room enough for a 6 seater kitchen table (as seen in the pics of the model home). We'd probably put a TV over the fireplace and there's room enough for two couches in the family room... although we'd probably put one couch against the half-wall so that the family room remains open to the kitchen, and then the kitchen table would also have more breathing room. Upstairs, there's also a small loft, for another casual sitting area.

That leaves the dining area, an 11'x13.5' space. Ideas? All floors will be 5" wide maple planks. We were thinking a sitting area or den, maybe with a love seat and/or chair, a nice rug? Small bookcase? Not crowded. The style of this room should probably be different and distinct from the larger family room, yes? It's the first room you'd see when you enter the front door. Maybe more formal, since the TV is in the family room? Are the dividing walls a good thing or more trouble design wise? I'd make a nice spot for a Christmas tree in front of the windows - hah! We'd probably need to swap the light fixture.

Anyhow feel free to chime in
Attached Thumbnails
Repurposing a "dining" room for another room?-picture-1.png   Repurposing a "dining" room for another room?-picture-2.png   Repurposing a "dining" room for another room?-picture-3.png   Repurposing a "dining" room for another room?-picture-4.png   Repurposing a "dining" room for another room?-picture-5.png  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,110,691 times
https://www.city-data.com/forum/home-...room-into.html

For some ideas.....

Old 12-23-2009, 07:35 PM

1,216 posts, read 5,773,334 times
that would make a very nice office/den/computer room

Old 12-23-2009, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Make it somewhat of a library with comfortable furniture. You could put low book shelves along the wall that divides the living room from the dining room.

A row of something like these:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012OJBN0/...SIN=B0012OJBN0

Get some stuffed furniture that blends with your living room furniture and arrange it with the windows behind. Tie it all together with a complimentary area rug.

Or you could make it a library/office by adding one fantastic desk and just a couple of overstuffed chairs along with the selves above.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Here's our dining room converted to library. The shelves extend along the wall behind the cat except for a pass through into the kitchen. Also, Sarah Susanka's original Not-So-Big House book had some good discussion on carving out a cosy living space distinct from the living room.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:36 PM

320 posts, read 2,528,064 times
Thanks for the ideas. Since we will have our office upstairs, I suppose a den/library/or sitting area might work best in that space. I actually used to have a nice aquarium setup that I had to sell when we moved into our current apartment, but I suppose I could even bring something small back in that space, maybe along the half-wall. It might make a nice, tranquil focal point ... and I think a room like that could use a focal point, and aquariums can be soothing to look at. Though, they can be a bit of work to maintain.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:33 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,159,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motifone View Post
Thanks for the ideas. Since we will have our office upstairs, I suppose a den/library/or sitting area might work best in that space. I actually used to have a nice aquarium setup that I had to sell when we moved into our current apartment, but I suppose I could even bring something small back in that space, maybe along the half-wall. It might make a nice, tranquil focal point ... and I think a room like that could use a focal point, and aquariums can be soothing to look at. Though, they can be a bit of work to maintain.
aquariums are a lot of work. Maybe just a nice fountain.....a chair, lamp, maybe a few books but I wouldn't overcrowd it with shelving and too many books. Looks like it would be a nice and tranquil place to just chill,listen to a fountain, read and relax. I wouldn't make it too fussy. Check out some feng shui ideas

Old 12-26-2009, 02:13 AM

1,654 posts, read 7,345,719 times
Honestly, I would use it as a eating/dining space. I think the way to the model is decorated is to show possibilities, but I think it's cramped.

And, before you mount the tv above the fireplace, check your warranty.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:43 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
I love the idea of the aquarium, for tranquility. Maybe a few chairs, a chase lounge (reading) a few floor plants, to give it an outside, inside look. (Love to have plants in the house) the book shelve thing sounds good to.
I do agree though that if you are not having formal dining events, you really do not need 2 places to eat.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:47 AM

18,462 posts, read 31,617,011 times
One question, in the empty room picture, looking through the sliding window, is the house in back of it another part of yours, or the next door neighbor?
Actually, I don't think that wall needs a window, it serves no purpose plus then there is no full wall to play with. IMO, which probably means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating