Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 09:39 PM

557 posts, read 2,613,929 times

Advertisements

We have an open floor plan in our log home with 25 foot ceilings. Flooring is Pergo. Now it echos so much my husband and I can't hear each other unless within 5 feet of each other. Put down 4 rugs and it still isn't better. Any advice for sound absorbtion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 10:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,219,272 times
How large were the rugs? I'd buy a good quality LARGE rug, not a bunch of small area rugs, and I'd put the thick padding under it too. (Many people aren't aware that you can buy padding for under area rugs.) I'd also hang some long heavy lined drapes. I don't know what your design style is like but some designs, like country, can have a textile hanging on the wall---like a quilt. Rugs and tapestry can be hung on the wall for some design schemes too. Put as much fabric as possible into that room---throw pillows, afghans, ect.---the richer and thicker the fabric, the better.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:25 AM

433 posts, read 1,772,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
You have a beautiful log home and you put Pergo on the floors? And now you are asking advice?

I just punched myself in the head.........
Irrelevant. Why bother posting?

You need lots of furniture and drapes and rugs. You may want to contact an interior designer. It may be a little expensive but it will be worth it. He/she will be able to tell you what you need to do. Call for a consult and it won't be as expensive as having them do all the work for you. Many people can't imagine hiring an interior designer because of the cost but in the long run they save you a lot of money. Many people buy furniture that is too big or too small for a room and the money paid for the furniture is wasted. I think a designer is your best bet.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:42 PM

The main challenge with email is that one can neither see the facial expressions nor hear the voice of the poster. I was not offended but we need to take care not to insult each other.

Wood floors *should* go with a genuine log home. BUT I'm out of money because the dog gone house went way over budget. Also Pergo is supposed to be more resistant to pet claws. Would love to hire a designer but have found pretty good good advice right here!

Good comment about adding fabrics, etc. No window coverings yet so will consider drapes in addition to the planned blinds (hope kitty won't shred drapes!).

Old 05-30-2009, 05:18 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,332,056 times
I have to agree as far as good rugs and window treatments.
We have just recently moved into new construction with an open floor plan-my ceilings are close to 25 ft at it's highest point.
We have thick oriental area rugs, faux wood blinds and on my sliding door a heavy drape-we have no echoing.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 PM

Have the huge, thick oriental rugs too. Sounds like drapes are essential. Maybe the empty loft is adding to the echo, too.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunInHair View Post
Have the huge, thick oriental rugs too.
Did you put thick padding underneath?

Quote:
Maybe the empty loft is adding to the echo, too.
You need textiles in the loft too. A large, thick rug with thick under padding, drapes and stuffed furniture, even if it's a bed, in the loft would help.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Did you put thick padding underneath?

You need textiles in the loft too. A large, thick rug with thick under padding, drapes and stuffed furniture, even if it's a bed, in the loft would help.
Don't have thick underpadding on the rugs on the main floor--don't want to risk having my husband trip over them, but might add extra padding in the loft and add drapes to the slider up there. There are 4 huge skylights so they're probably a noise factor, too--some things ya just don't think about when you're designing a house--at least I didn't

Old 05-31-2009, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Don't have thick underpadding on the rugs on the main floor--don't want to risk having my husband trip over them....
Underpadding won't cause your husband to trip. They wouldn't make underpadding for area rugs if that was a risk.

Underpadding prolongs the life of your rugs too.

The rugs aren't going to provide much of a sound barrier without underpadding.

Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM

93 posts, read 646,549 times
LOTS of furniture will help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating