Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2009, 04:31 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,393,675 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house and I need to hang some curtains. The house is a more modern house with low ceilings and limited molding. I have already gotten rid of the carpet and refinished the (beautiful) oak floors and almost finished the painting. I adore the place so far, and I even like the old oak cabinets.

Now I'm hanging curtains, but I need help:
1. Wide, washable curtains - I'd like a washable curtain for the patio door in the kitchen/dining area, but I need a two 100inch panels. I haven't been able to find ready-made washable panels in this size. Any suggestions for ready-made 100X84 or 100X96 lined, washable white panels? Any reasonably-priced "custom" recommendation is okay, too.

2. Curtain Hanging Height - I am considering hanging the rod above the top of the window frame where the wall meets the ceiling. The ceilings are only 8 or 9 feet tall, so I thought this would look nice. The CON is that this is more expensive since the curtains will need to be longer. I also have never hung curtains on the wall before. I'm not sure how I can hang the rods in drywall properly.
Examples:
above window: http://www.designerdraperies.com/mm5/dd/07-d-stripe.jpg
at window: http://juancgrc.com/yahoo_site_admin...115451_std.jpg

3. Linen or Linen/Cotton - My snobbish self knows the answer to THIS question. LOL Since I could not find a washable curtain for the kitchen, I looked at a linen-cotton blend and a gorgeous, heavy white linen. The linen costs about $30 more per panel. Should I go with the ready-made linen/cotton curtains to save a few bucks, or spend more money and get Linen? Do dry-cleanable curtains even make sense in a kitchen?

4. Bright Polyester or Drab Silk - For my cream/white bedroom, I have spare modern furniture in very dark wood from west elm. I have an oriental rug with lots of brighter, medium-toned colors(teal, pink, red,blue, brown, cream) and cream fringe. I am caught between two curtains.
a. Teal Silk-Look - They have a white lining and interlining + they are Very full and I adore the color, BUT they are polyester.
TEAL: http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/P12058178.jpg

b. Light Brown from a Department Store - These also have interlining, but I already have a pair and they're not very thick and they're not as wide as the polyester curtains. They also only come in a few fairly common colors, but they are SILK. Also, ironically these silk curtains are cheaper!

5. General Curtain Suggestions - Any suggestions for places I can look for curtains? I like heavy curtains and prefer natural fabrics, but I am okay with synthetics or blends as long as they look substantial. I'd like to spend under $200 per panel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 05:06 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Ohhhh, sounds, fabulous. I think we need some pictures?

I'm sure someone else will come along and answer your more techincal questions.

I do know that, in most modern settings, I prefer curtains hung above the window/just under the ceiling.

Have you tried Smith&Noble? I'm not sure if they have exactly what you are looking for, but they offer custom options, good customer service and a wonderful swatch program (10 free!).

Have fun (and don't forget to take pictures. ).

Old 09-13-2009, 07:01 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
You can get plain wide cotton curtains from Country Curtains.

Old 09-13-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks! I just looked at county curtains and I see some washable, white curtains in a wide Width! )

Old 09-15-2009, 12:47 PM

681 posts, read 2,358,979 times
Is your patio door one that slides to the side or are they french doors that open from the center?

Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM

The door slides to the side. I bought two panels for the door, though. What do you think?

Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 PM

103 posts, read 463,238 times
I usually buy courtains from www.jcpenney.com.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:37 PM

I KNOW Joy! JC Penney has rockin' curtains! But the windows in my new place are a little wider, and the panels I like from JCP wouldn't have been full enough. I thought about doing custom, but I wasn't sure the features on the custom curtains would have been as good as a specialty shop. I have some curtains from them that I'm using in other rooms. I was considering their silk interlined panels for the bedroom, but I decided to go with the teal. The panels are wider and I didn't have to order custom. ALSO THANKS for the Country Curtains suggestion. I am so happy with their service. Actually, I used two vendors who were great, and the two sets of 100 inch panels did have to be custom-made, but I have high hopes. I mean, I can't afford to eat right now, but I am so excited about my curtains! ;8)

Old 09-22-2009, 09:31 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,389,029 times
You can look online if you type in 'curtains' into the search engine, and narrow down to the type you are looking for. Bold, delicate, sheer, solid, drapery, etc.
From there you might come up with several ideas.
I used to buy sheets and sheers and a little lace trim, and with the help of my sewing machine, came up with some really creative ideas, where people were asking where they can find something like that....and were surprised that I made them, youd never know the difference.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:23 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions! I have gotten all of my curtains. I used Half Priced Drapes, JCPenney and Country Curtains! I got return rods from country curtains, too! I can't wait until they are all up! I hate putting up curtain rods, but I can't afford to hire someone. I put up two so far, and since I'm putting them in the wall in a stud or with anchors, I have already had lots of fun. So far I put up the interlined silk with a scarf valance from JCP and the pinch-pleat weavers cloth from Country curtains and they look FANTABULOUS. I wuv them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating