Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,582,383 times

Advertisements

I currently have tile and I agree with most other posters about standing for extended periods is MURDER on the feet. I am going to invest in these gel mats which I think will work well in my kitchen since it is a Galley styled kitchen.

http://www.gelpro.com/images/website/gallery/gel-mats_basketweave_truffle.bto.jpg?2206 (broken link)

I think hardwood would do well in your kitchen but as other posters stated, you have to be concerned about water and other spills. Good luck with whatever choice you make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2009, 06:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,829,678 times
My mom has hardwood floors in her kitchen and actaully through most of the lower level. It is just her though and her pup so they are kept nice. If you have kids and they spill or drag things that may be something to look at. I do know when she had her floors replaced it was quite an ordeal. I don't know if it was a fluke or something that is common. I do love it though.

Old 07-03-2009, 09:18 AM

79 posts, read 557,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
But whatever you do, DO NOT put that crap fake plastic Pergo floor down. You will cheapen your home and will feel like a tap dancer as you walk on it. You might find yourself jumping up now and then to click your heels. Oh and it is very very ugly.
I have to agree. it is so noisy to walk on, edges chip and if it gets wet it swells and it ruined.

Porcelain tile is very popular since it is made is so many sizes, colors, shapes, textures,etc.

It depends a lot on what your house style is and how it is laid out for the use of Hardwood or Tile.
some homes look great with a wood foyer and flowing into the hall bath and into the kitchen,
other homes it doesnt look so great.

I have and will always like tile in the kitchen, hall bath & master bath.
the foyer area is also a good place for tile since it is durable and wont
scratch over time from sand and traffic like a hardwood will.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:41 PM

897 posts, read 2,825,379 times
I agree with everyone on the "flow" factor. Nothing looks worse than a hodge podge of different types of flooring. I personally love hardwoods, even in the kitchen. I have never had a wear & tear issue with hardwoods in the kitchen, but then again we don't have large dogs, etc.

A couple have mentioned hardwoods in the South / humid climates. I lived in ATL and my house had hardwoods. Hardwood flooring is pretty popular in that part of the South (FL would be an exception!).

My current home in OH has hardwoods in every room on the main living level with the exception of the mudroom which is tiled.

Good luck and have fun!

Old 07-04-2009, 09:42 AM

520 posts, read 3,921,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
I agree with everyone on the "flow" factor. Nothing looks worse than a hodge podge of different types of flooring.

Good luck and have fun!

Have fun?
Grr....
I have flopped more trying decide on what to do then a fish out of water.

All kidding aside, thanks everyone on your input.

I agree about the "hodge podge" look which is why I'm torn.
On one hand the ceramic is in very good shape but I want a flow on the floor and not a "what happened here" type of thing.

I guess I can always put the ceramic in our laundry room and maybe in the basement bathroom when we finish it. It def will not go to waste.

After rereading many of your suggestions I think I'm going to go with hw through out the first floor. I want the continuous look like many here have said.

thanks again everyone for your help.

happy 4th to all.

Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi5 View Post
Have fun?
Grr....
I have flopped more trying decide on what to do then a fish out of water.

All kidding aside, thanks everyone on your input.

I agree about the "hodge podge" look which is why I'm torn.
On one hand the ceramic is in very good shape but I want a flow on the floor and not a "what happened here" type of thing.

I guess I can always put the ceramic in our laundry room and maybe in the basement bathroom when we finish it. It def will not go to waste.

After rereading many of your suggestions I think I'm going to go with hw through out the first floor. I want the continuous look like many here have said.

thanks again everyone for your help.

happy 4th to all.
Hi,
I had ceramic in many areas of my house...
I wanted wood floors but after researching and looking at many people's houses who had had this for years...I didn't do it.
A few months ago I was at a carpet store and noticed that they had linoleum laid in their store (Actually I thought it was hw) I asked about it and found that it WAS linoleum.
It had been in their store for almost 2 years and looked brand new.
After research, we put the linoleum throughout our house. I don't have to worry about cleaning grout. It didn't need glue to be laid. It was "padded", so it isn't as cold as tile or hw...and actually feels nice to the bare feet. I don't have to worry about something wet laying on the floor and ruining the floor. (I have three girls who love to go swimming in the summer...so "wet things" run amuck at out house...lol)
I went to lowes to purchase the lenolium...they had wonderful "colors and patterns" to choose from. We laid it directly over the tile...which the company said was okay to do. Since it is not glued it will not ruin my ceramic floor which is underneath and if I ever do get tired of it, I can simply take it up and have my ceramic floor again. But I don't think I'll get tired of it. I love it!...The grout lines do not show through this linoleum in my house....but I would check with the manufacturer to make sure this is okay for your house before you purchase.
The reason I went to lowes was the price. It was 1/2 the price of the carpet stores. ---I did stick with a good brand though.
Just an idea.

Last edited by *sherry*; 07-04-2009 at 02:01 PM..

Old 07-12-2009, 02:20 PM

79 posts, read 320,360 times
The choice between ceramic and hardwood is a personal preference. As far as looks, The hardwood gives a more richer look and the ceramic just looks more modern. As far as maintenance the wood floors is much easier. With ceramic you have to have the grout cleaned twice a year because it gets noticeable dirty. The wood floor only needs a microfiber mop with a little shine sprayed on mop.

Old 09-03-2009, 03:18 PM

50 posts, read 226,514 times
ayannaaaliyah (i amy have left off some a's or n's there)

Love your kitchen! I have been asking on another forum about flat-front cabinets because I love the look, but I keep hearing they will warp over time and if the steam from the dishwasher hits them. Can you shed any light on this subject?

Old 09-06-2009, 04:02 PM

79 posts, read 557,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiaam View Post
The choice between ceramic and hardwood is a personal preference. As far as looks, The hardwood gives a more richer look and the ceramic just looks more modern. As far as maintenance the wood floors is much easier. With ceramic you have to have the grout cleaned twice a year because it gets noticeable dirty. The wood floor only needs a microfiber mop with a little shine sprayed on mop.
agreed, but there are actually porcelain tile wood look tiles out that will outlast any real wood in durability.
Daltile Timber Glen™ ColorBody Porcelain Tile (http://www2.daltile.com/series.cfm?series=155&next=73&pg=13&rm=4 - broken link)

also there are grouts out there like TEC AccuColor XT (http://www.tecspecialty.com/assets/files/english/Grout_XT%20Card%20%28US%29_R507.pdf - broken link) and Laticrete SpectraLock that are stain proof.

all you have to do is worry about your daily surface dirt and be a clean person.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceramic Tile vs Hardwood Flooring?-1.jpg   Ceramic Tile vs Hardwood Flooring?-2.jpg  

Old 11-25-2009, 08:21 AM

2 posts, read 18,834 times
our family room and kitchen are basically an open floor plan. We have hardwoods thru out but not in the bedrooms, bathrooms and family room. We want to take the carpet out of the family room and put in ceramic tile. We are doing this because we have and older dog that tends to use the bathroom inside and can't help it. We just wonder if this is tacky to have the kitchen be hardwood and the family room be ceramic. I know it is up to us but just curious as a whole if it is kind of not right. We also will want ceramic in the kitchen eventually but go with a similar tile as the family room but maybe different size. Any opinions could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating