Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 02:48 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,327,170 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any basic tips on painting? We moved here in October and our walls, railings, some molding and doors are showing wear and marks. I have the paint to do the touch up. Do I need to prime before I touch up? If so what do I need in a primer?

I know this is probably basic to most-but I have never had the need to paint before and I want to get this all done as a surprise to my husband when he goes away for business later this month. Any tips will me greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nicolem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 06:57 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,378,315 times
Most likely if you try to touch up the paint won't match up unless you have the paint that was used on it but if it has been painted for a while it still won't look right. Basically you shouldn't need a primer if the surface has been painted before and you are going with a neutral color. When doing trim use a semi or high gloss. Get a good brush to use on the trim so you don't leave brush marks.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
Most likely if you try to touch up the paint won't match up unless you have the paint that was used on it but if it has been painted for a while it still won't look right. Basically you shouldn't need a primer if the surface has been painted before and you are going with a neutral color. When doing trim use a semi or high gloss. Get a good brush to use on the trim so you don't leave brush marks.
Thank you. I misspoke. I need to touch up but I will do the whole wall as you are correct it won't look right if all I do is just "touch up" the areas.

Thanks for the response!

Nicolem

Old 09-02-2008, 07:16 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,672,964 times
Janipoo covered the primer question. Something that I have done is to put brushes and rollers in a food storage bag at the end of the day. You then store them in the refrigerator, ready to use, for a week or more. Bag and cold keep them from drying. No need to clean brushes and rollers that are going to be used the next day or two for additional areas or second coat in the same color.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Janipoo covered the primer question. Something that I have done is to put brushes and rollers in a food storage bag at the end of the day. You then store them in the refrigerator, ready to use, for a week or more. Bag and cold keep them from drying. No need to clean brushes and rollers that are going to be used the next day or two for additional areas or second coat in the same color.
Thanks for the great advice!

Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,551,923 times
One thing I have seen people do time and time again is mess up between the ceiling and the wall.

When you cut in the wall, best thing is to forget the gizmos and take an angled 2 inch brush. As you go along the line, get a small amount of paint on the ceiling. Believe me it works wonders [my grandfather was a professional house painter] - now if you have crown molding, then masking would be in order. With a good quality angled trim brush you can lay an even bead - I am talking no more than 1/8" - the only time you see the paint on the ceiling is when you put your head against the wall and look straight up. If you try to mask or get the line perfect [none on ceiling] you will see the imperfection from anywhere in the room.

Also spend the money and get a good quality scrubbable paint. Make sure you keep the excess for touch up.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
One thing I have seen people do time and time again is mess up between the ceiling and the wall.

When you cut in the wall, best thing is to forget the gizmos and take an angled 2 inch brush. As you go along the line, get a small amount of paint on the ceiling. Believe me it works wonders [my grandfather was a professional house painter] - now if you have crown molding, then masking would be in order.

Also spend the money and get a good quality scrubbable paint. Make sure you keep the excess for touch up.
Thank you!

Old 09-02-2008, 10:40 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,372,728 times
Everytime I paint a room or anything, I learn something new.

I could give you a list, but I believe my own experience will be helpful.

I just finished painting our family room and kitchen. When I started on the ceiling, the paint started to separate. I had painted the ceiling some years ago, but now the original paint from when the house was built had turned to chalk and all future paint would not hold. I had to have the ceiling stipped, skim coated and painted by a professional.

If you run into any chalky areas I can recommend a product from Zinsser called Peel Stop which is superb and I used that on some of my other walls.

The other walls in my family room and kitchen were in good shape. I did prime them with Zinsser (I am not advertising). I have used other products in the past from Sherwin Williams, Kilz, but Zinsser really does make a very fine product. Visit their site and read up on their primers.

I used an egg shell Antique White and the end result was fabulous. If you find dings or uneven surfaces, you can always create your own skim coat by addng just a bit of water to the compound. If you know how to ice a cake, this is a snap. It does create a bit of dust or a lot depending on the size of the job. If the walls don't need it, then stick to your paint.

In the rest of the home I used Behr's satin finish. I love to paint. Try to avoid paint on the ceiling or baseboards. I always trim with an edger and have a damp cloth by my side in case I get paint on the ceiling or baseboards. Take your time and have fun.

Old 09-02-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Everytime I paint a room or anything, I learn something new.

I could give you a list, but I believe my own experience will be helpful.

I just finished painting our family room and kitchen. When I started on the ceiling, the paint started to separate. I had painted the ceiling some years ago, but now the original paint from when the house was built had turned to chalk and all future paint would not hold. I had to have the ceiling stipped, skim coated and painted by a professional.

If you run into any chalky areas I can recommend a product from Zinsser called Peel Stop which is superb and I used that on some of my other walls.

The other walls in my family room and kitchen were in good shape. I did prime them with Zinsser (I am not advertising). I have used other products in the past from Sherwin Williams, Kilz, but Zinsser really does make a very fine product. Visit their site and read up on their primers.

I used an egg shell Antique White and the end result was fabulous. If you find dings or uneven surfaces, you can always create your own skim coat by addng just a bit of water to the compound. If you know how to ice a cake, this is a snap. It does create a bit of dust or a lot depending on the size of the job. If the walls don't need it, then stick to your paint.

In the rest of the home I used Behr's satin finish. I love to paint. Try to avoid paint on the ceiling or baseboards. I always trim with an edger and have a damp cloth by my side in case I get paint on the ceiling or baseboards. Take your time and have fun.
Thanks so much- I appreciate the advice.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:23 PM

3,533 posts, read 12,304,281 times
Talking keep the paint off you and on the walls....lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
Does anyone have any basic tips on painting? We moved here in October and our walls, railings, some molding and doors are showing wear and marks. I have the paint to do the touch up. Do I need to prime before I touch up? If so what do I need in a primer?

I know this is probably basic to most-but I have never had the need to paint before and I want to get this all done as a surprise to my husband when he goes away for business later this month. Any tips will me greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Nicolem
fancy meeting you here...lol...good luck with that painting thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating