Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2008, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 54,842 times

Advertisements

Hi

we are building a new house. We are putting hardwood in our first floor and i have choosen Decora galleria brandywine cabinets for the kitchen from the builder(those are yellowish-orangish shade)...iam unable to decide on the hardwood floor,i like blue ridge hickory cherry spice( little towards brownish shade)...
can anyone give me some helpfull hints to how to match the cabinet color with the hardwood floor...does brown shades go with yellowish/orangish/reddish shades???????

thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM

351 posts, read 1,874,791 times
It's hard to say without seeing the color. You might want to try to match the cabinets to paint samples and use that as a basis for measurement against match. Alternatively, the builder/supplier should be able to get you a sample square to take around for matching purposes.

Unless you've got your heart set on all-wood finishing, or you've lived with it before, you might want to consider some alternate flooring as well. My mother was considering wood flooring in a wood-cabinet kitchen. After going around this for awhile, we decided on tile, to lighten up the room and make it less woody. She's very happy with the final result. (She's now matching the replacement countertop to the floor, having matched the floor to the existing cabinetry...)

Old 01-28-2008, 05:17 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,342,615 times
You don't want your floor to 'match' the cabinets, coordinate (which is what I think you mean) but not match--be the same as. You really need to get the samples together and check the undertones. If they have the same undertones they will work well together. Are you using a kitchen designer or a decorator to help you make your decisions? I would seriously consider using one or the other. A decorator will be able to help you match carpet, flooring, fabrics and wall color and they generally are not all that expensive. You could probably get a consult on your entire house for about $100.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating