Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:39 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,994 times

Advertisements

Care to list pros & cons?

I've mainly had slide-in ranges, but grew up in a house with a cooktop & separate wall oven, and one of my homes as an adult had a stove-top & separate wall oven (but I only had it for a couple years because it was from 1961 and we did a complete remodel).

We're planning our new home and I can design the kitchen however I want. I don't NEED double ovens. I was planning on doing 1 wall-mounted oven & microwave/convection oven combo unit, and a separate gas cooktop. I do not want the microwave over the cooktop anymore b/c I have 3 kids and I'm tired of them reaching up & over a hot stove to heat up this or that (and it seems to happen daily). Plus, if I'm cooking at the stove, it's a hassle if someone else needs to heat up something in teh micro.

As for the oven....I've enjoyed being able to see into the oven without bending over, and also it's easier to take things out of the oven at wall-height vs. bending over. However, I can see the benefit of having a slide-in unit also, namely that it will free up more room for upper cabinets if I don't do a wall oven. If I do a slide-in, I'd probably do a slide-out microwave drawer somewhere else in the ktichen.

So, give me your experiences....pros, cons, etc.. We are designing this house from the ground up and plan for this to be our "forever" house, so I want to make sure I'm taking everything into consideration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 01:48 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,698,831 times
I love the idea of a separate cook top with wall ovens. I agree with the microwave/convection combo too. I think if this is your "forever" home you will find at as you age the wall oven is a much better option for lifting hot items from the oven to the counter. Having the items separate can also ease the stove/oven congestion zone when there is more than 1 cook in the kitchen.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:43 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
I am a wall oven guy.
24 years with one.
3 with a range.
Not a range guy.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:41 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I have had separate cooktops and ovens most of my adult life. I like them fine. When we remodeled my former kitchen, we had the oven installed under counter instead of in the wall, and although it blew hot air out onto my legs, I liked the arrangement fine.

If I was remodeling a really small kitchen, I would consider the slide in range, in order to conserve or create workspace in the kitchen. Other than that, I can't think of any advantages to the slide in.

I do recommend not using an over the range hood/microwave. Those things just don't work well as range hoods. Get a hood that actually vents to the outside. Put your micro on a shelf under upper cabs or in the wall with a wall oven. That is how things are arranged in my present kitchen, and it works well. I've also had this in a former kitchen, and I liked it then too.

It is really exciting to plan a brand new kitchen. Good luck!

Old 08-25-2014, 07:50 PM

18,467 posts, read 31,621,245 times
My mother had the wall oven and cook top range when the house was built circa 1966, so we are so used to it...then the remodel in 1989 with regular range with oven below.....I also have the regular range, but them I'm in an apartment so you cannot always get what you want.

I much prefer the wall oven, and the cook top range. I like not bending over for the oven, I think it is so much easier, plus, is a stove really pretty to look at, I don't think so.....

i like the micro in the wall also. I don't care what anyone says, the micro over the stove is a really arkward place for it to be...for the same reasons the original poster stated.

Old 08-28-2014, 06:55 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
If you have the room, I'd definitely do a wall oven with the micro/convection above and a cook top gas range. And a beautiful canopy vent hood over it. That is a much higher end, gourmet kitchen, and even "forever homes" sometimes end up needing to be sold sooner than you think. So why not make it a nicer kitchen to enjoy yourself, and if/when the time comes, you have a nicer kitchen to help assist with resale.

Old 08-28-2014, 07:32 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,379,883 times
I'd do the gas cooktop (5-6 burner), and the wall oven/convection micro, and then do lots of drawers (deep and shallow) in the base cabinets throughout the kitchen so they're more functional for use (since you'll be sacrificing a couple upper cabinets).

Old 08-29-2014, 05:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,140,668 times
I did think of one other advantage to the slide in range. Often the ovens in a slide in are larger than ovens that are installed in walls. At least they used to be. It is something to ask about when you make your final plan.

Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 AM

3,158 posts, read 4,589,061 times
We have a drop in gas range with pull out drawers underneath that store pots and pans in convent location & double wall oven , love em both...I also love the fact it easier clean up, since I always clean wipe down after every time I use...Excuse are mess, we are canning today~

This is another view kinda give you ideal..

Old 09-01-2014, 12:48 AM

97 posts, read 162,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard~ View Post
We have a drop in gas range with pull out drawers underneath that store pots and pans in convent location & double wall oven , love em both...I also love the fact it easier clean up, since I always clean wipe down after every time I use...Excuse are mess, we are canning today~

This is another view kinda give you ideal..
I prefer this look too! Our kitchen will look the same, but we will have a double oven and microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating