Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 10:57 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,922,244 times

Advertisements

Hi, in thinking about floor plans, what do you think of the following in a 1 1/2 story home:

-- main level: kitchen, dining, great room (open) and a small master suite at the other end of the house (this will be used as a guest suite).

-- upper level: main master suite and a third smaller spare bedroom (also master), separate by a catwalk for privacy.

So all three bedrooms are master bedrooms.

Pros:
-- Privacy for all three bedrooms
-- Flexibility for visitors and/or homeowners to move master downstairs eventually
-- Conserve space on main living floor by only having one bedroom/bathroom instead of 2, but still having a bedroom on the main floor, which many buyers desire

Cons:
-- more costly to have three full bathrooms
-- Master bath on main floor will be used by visitors, which is fine for us, since our master suite would be upstairs, but a deterrent to buyers who would want to use that main floor master suite as their primary bedroom
-- more bathrooms to clean

Feel free to add anything I may have left out.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 11:01 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Meh... my house have 4 bathrooms, so your three are not an issue.

You really should do what you like!

The posts following mine will range from people liking it to people hating it.
Me... lukewarm.
I do not like open floor plans.
I do not like catwalks (which also implies that I do not like the two story rooms that necessitate a catwalk).
I would like a separate powder room.
You have no mention of a family room or laundry room or a pantry (all important to me).

Old 08-29-2013, 11:08 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
I like having two Master suites, one up one down, but see no reason for a third one. I do however see a purpose for two bedrooms sharing a jack/jill bathroom that is also used as the gues bathroom.

Personally I like my Master upstairs away from everybody else. I do not want kids above my head pounding away on the ceiling.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Meh... my house have 4 bathrooms, so your three are not an issue.

You really should do what you like!

The posts following mine will range from people liking it to people hating it.
Me... lukewarm.
I do not like open floor plans.
I do not like catwalks (which also implies that I do not like the two story rooms that necessitate a catwalk).
I would like a separate powder room.
You have no mention of a family room or laundry room or a pantry (all important to me).
Thanks for responding. Just for clarification, I wasn't seeking input about features of the house (catwalk, openness, etc.), but rather the practicality and desirability (for resale) of the layout. So I'm more interested in an objective critique of the layout as it pertains to pros and cons of this floor plan. Thanks again.

p.s. yes, laundry room and pantry also on main floor, good point. Yes, no powder room is one of the "cons" I listed in my OP.

p.s.s. In response to the "do what's best for you" approach, I should also clarify that I don't plan to live here forever, so resale is a very realistic, practical consideration.

Last edited by NC_Paddler; 08-29-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: added p.s.s.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
I like having two Master suites, one up one down, but see no reason for a third one. I do however see a purpose for two bedrooms sharing a jack/jill bathroom that is also used as the gues bathroom.
If our master is on the 2nd floor, as in the example I gave, then the other bedroom would definitely have to be a master as well. You don't want guests/children sharing your master bath.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:51 AM

22,599 posts, read 47,698,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Thanks for responding. Just for clarification, I wasn't seeking input about features of the house (catwalk, openness, etc.), but rather the practicality and desirability (for resale) of the layout.
Okay then.
Zero desirability for me... because of the features!

You really cannot separate the two...

Old 08-29-2013, 12:53 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,422,361 times
Quote:
If our master is on the 2nd floor, as in the example I gave, then the other bedroom would definitely have to be a master as well. You don't want guests/children sharing your master bath.
I meant, a master upstairs, a master downstairs, and two bedrooms with a jack/jill between them.

I think as far as resale, having two masters gives you a master for the owners as well as a mother-in-law suite. Having three, I don't know, it seems weird to me.

Old 08-29-2013, 01:43 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times
For resale value, I would add a laundry room or laundry closet and a 1/2 bath (toilet and sink) on the first floor. Some newer homes have the master suite on the first floor, so I would keep the first floor as a master suite with a full bath and walk-in closet and make the upstairs bedrooms with a shared full bath in the hall. If not possible, keep the full baths in each second-floor bedroom. (not sure how the cat walk separates the bedrooms)

Old 08-29-2013, 02:31 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
Well, they wouldn't all be master bedrooms but the idea of having a bathroom attached to each bedroom is nice, however, I still would not buy a house that didn't have 3 bedrooms on one level. If you put a 3rd bedroom upstairs I would be interested in your house. The way you have it planned I wouldn't even walk in the door to look at it.

Old 08-30-2013, 06:32 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,361,153 times
Quote:
Thanks for responding. Just for clarification, I wasn't seeking input about features of the house (catwalk, openness, etc.), but rather the practicality and desirability (for resale) of the layout. So I'm more interested in an objective critique of the layout as it pertains to pros and cons of this floor plan. Thanks again.

p.s. yes, laundry room and pantry also on main floor, good point. Yes, no powder room is one of the "cons" I listed in my OP.

p.s.s. In response to the "do what's best for you" approach, I should also clarify that I don't plan to live here forever, so resale is a very realistic, practical consideration.

Then you should really take a look at the houses in your area. See what is selling. See what people want. But remember, things could always change in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating