Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:55 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,939,209 times

Advertisements

It is an unusual layout but it does have some pro's that many buyers might like.

We have a very unsual layout as a result of a three bedroom, two bath ranch being expanded into a 5 bedroom, 3 bath two story by the previous owner.
We have a master bedroom full bath ensuite on the main floor which was my son's room before he grew up & moved out. It now serves as an excellent guest suite that is used often. It was the original master suite in the home. On the main floor we also have two much smaller bedrooms, one for my daughter and another second guest room/den and a full "hall bath or guest bath". When we have many guests they use both the hall bath and the ensuite bath. However it is not my private bedroom so its not weird for me or my guests. The main floor also has a great room(living/dining) with adjoining open kitchen.
upstairs we have a small loft which is my office/craft room, our master bedroom with large full master bath, walkin closet and a small bedroom that we use as an exercise room but it would make an ideal nursery for someone that needs their small child within reach, master sitting room or an office for someone that needs more space. It could be used as a regular bedroom as well & that would probably mean sharing the masterbath with a child.
This layout allows us to move downstairs in the future if needed but right now it creates a totally private master suite and gives our frequent guests/children/etc no reason to go upstairs unless I ask them to. When we have houseguests for a few days my husband really likes to disappear upstairs to get a break.
Our children were 10 & 16 when we bought this house and I never had a problem being on another floor. In fact it has always been fantastic, their sleepovers & loud music never prevented my husband & I from sleeping. Even our guests can go the kitchen at any hour to help themselves without disturbing us at all.

Whatever you decide, it has got to work for you above all. Its your house!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,389,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Paddler View Post
Thanks for the helpful feedback. The most likely target market, in order of likelihood, would include couples with children or childless couples, and possibly retirees. I thought with my last home, as with this one, that there would be too much property to maintain for retirees, but as it turned out, that's exactly who bought it, so this is all somewhat of a crapshoot!
If you want to address retirees, have main floor living, with a master on the main and 3 bedrooms up. Yes, it seems like a lot of square footage, however, the upstairs is hardly used and easy to maintain, but they will want a place for when they have company--children, grandchildren, siblings, etc. to stay when they visit. It isn't always about the square footage as it is about the layout of the house.

Old 09-01-2013, 04:56 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,916,637 times
Seems fine to me. I like open floor plans and for each bedroom to have it's own bath. We have a kind of similar layout (except the the upstairs has 2 bedrooms on the side opposite the master (Jack & Jill) and the common bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating