Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM

154 posts, read 388,373 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Does anyone own or have experience with Ikea wardrobes? I am thinking of purchasing a couple of them but wanted to know how they hold up over time. I in particular need extra shelving, not so much extra racks for hanging clothes. I am also a little confused at the Pax systems- it seems like you buy the shell and then the organizing units which can put some of the systems well over $1000 and then they need to be constructed.

If anyone knows a furniture company that sells other wardrobes, I would be interesting in looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:15 PM

3,928 posts, read 4,915,326 times
I have one and it's been in good shape for almost four years now. My clothes are in good condition thanks to PAX!

Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,506,277 times
well first off it's Ikea, so everything needs to be constructed.
depending on if this system is going into a closet or staying out in the open, you may want to design your own PAX or go for another unit. remember that Ikea products are versital and interchangeable. just because something says its for the living room, doesnt mean you cant use it somewhere else. the Besta, Expedit or Billy units might work well for you especially since you are looking for shelving and not so much hanging.
I have had almost exclusively Ikea furniture all over my house for many years now--some pieces over 10 yrs and still going strong.
have fun!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:40 AM

22,635 posts, read 47,782,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leerinsmom View Post
I am also a little confused at the Pax systems- it seems like you buy the shell and then the organizing units which can put some of the systems well over $1000 and then they need to be constructed.
You are not confused at all - you are correct!

We did a Pax system in my son's room over a decade ago.
He disassembled it and moved it when he married, and it is still in use. Very durable, and practical!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:52 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,687,398 times
One thing I've realized about Ikea over the years is the most flexible systems are also the most expensive. Pax is good and has myriad configurations, but if you need shelving you really may be able to get by with a specific shelving unit that has one configuration. Those tend to cost a lot less. Some of them at the really cheap end are lower in quality too I suppose but not all of them. Everything from Ikea will need assembly.

If it needs to be enclosed you might not have as much luck with the living room shelving and bookcase sections, but there are doors for most of the bookcase series. Expedit with bins/baskets can be a nice look although might not be practical for certain items. Some of the bookcase shelving might be a little shallow for this use. One advantage to some of the wardrobe units is sliding doors, which take up less space (zero!) when open. One possibility to keep cost down over configuring an official Pax with all shelves inside would be to buy one of the single configuration wardrobes and hack it by putting in shelves where the hanging space is. (None of the single config wardrobes are made with entirely shelves, although a couple are about half shelves, half hanging.) This would take more work though.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:55 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times
Don't know what the budget is or if this purchase is a stop gap or more permanent in your eyes. For many years we used a Sauder closet and shelves as a winter/summer additional storage space. The stuff held up remarkably well given the number of years of use. That said, I would probably not think about it if you are going to be moving it time and time again.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:50 AM

154 posts, read 388,373 times
Hi All,

Thanks for the quick responses- one last question- I see in the narrative for some of the wardrobes that they need to be anchored to the wall-- Is this your experience? I live in a rental and am concerned about anchoring heavy objects to the wall.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,168,969 times
Do you have little ones? If so, I would anchor everything, if not, I would say it depends upon where it is and if it feels secure as it "sits", That said I don't have my tv anchored and when we bought our home the inspector told me that our stove is not anchored. Who knew? I kinda giggled about that one and he told me that people have been hurt when a turkey is being cooked the oven tips!!!! I told him that I would refrain from cooking turkey!!!!!!

Old 08-16-2013, 12:37 AM

3,928 posts, read 4,915,326 times
Yes, the wardrobes need to be attached to the wall. You may want to check the kids section there as there are wardrobes that seem like they can stand freely and are tall enough to hang adult clothes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating