Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 07:42 AM

6,514 posts, read 6,722,615 times

Advertisements

I thought about posting this in "hobbies," but I don't plan to use a sewing machine enough for it to qualify as a hobby!

I used to sew fairly often, clothing, drapes, etc, with a very nice, heavy-duty machine that was made in the 50s or 60s that my exMIL had given me when she upgraded. (Ex-hub actually kept it when we divorced; I have no idea why.)

So now, several years later, I'd like to get an inexpensive, basic sewing machine for simple little things around the house.....like shorten our king-size pillowcases to standard size, repair garment seams, things like that. I don't plan to ever do anything complicated at all.

Any recommendations for a specific machine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM

42,023 posts, read 75,442,256 times
I have a basic Brother; it doesn't have a lot of features beyond a buttonhole maker, and is perfect for mending and household projects such as making curtains and pillows, etc. It's about 10 years old and has held up very well.

Singer and Brother both might make still make a small mending machine, intended for mending and straight seams. I'd go to the nearest fabric store, tell them what you're looking for, and ask for recommendations.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:11 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,886,486 times
I have a 'Singer Simple'. It's by no means the greatest sewing machine I've ever had but it was affordable and it does the job for basic sewing (I don't get to sew 'for pleasure' that much anymore!). I bought mine at Walmart but it's only $129 on Amazon here.

Good luck!

Old 04-06-2013, 10:19 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,975,037 times
Am a senior retired male that has been by myself for many yrs.....and have no other choice but to do my sewingneeds.

Bought a Brothers LS 2125 model that has the button and v

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,975,037 times
Am a senior male and being by myself also do my own sewing repair needs...pants cuff etc.

Bought a Brothers LS 2125 Model that has the fancy stich ability etc for about $79 as I recall.

Thats about 2-3 yrs ago so cost may be higher today.

Won't complain.....worth the money spent.

Just bought two new pairs of Jeans.....you know what I'll be doing in a couple of days.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:31 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,241,532 times
I too have a simple singer from Walmart. Does a zig zag and couple other stitches and that's all I need. I've made clothes, drapes, headboards, table cloths table runners, all kinds of things. It does bounce when I sew so I wish I had an older heavy one. But it works, I just have to slow down a bit.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Stay away from a new Singer. Find a reliable shop that can do repairs, and have them show you basic models and possibly older rebuilt machines. I can recommend Babylock and Brother. An older Viking made in Sweden would be good. An older Bernina would be wonderful, but pricy. Janome and Juki are other brands that might be available in your area.

I bought a Babylock, and I'd buy it again. They have them in all price points. Stay away from the cheapest, and the most expensive. Take several for test drives by bringing different materials with you to the shop. Sew on the machines. Be sure to take heavy material and lightweight stuff and some sewing thread.

Take your time deciding. Check online reviews.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:32 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,241,532 times
I did have an old Viking and an old White but I do like my new cheap Singer. Had for 5 years now and no trouble. It's lightweight to take it with me to peoples houses to make quick jobs.

silibran, just curious, why don't you like the new singer?

Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

6,514 posts, read 6,722,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
I did have an old Viking and an old White but I do like my new cheap Singer. Had for 5 years now and no trouble. It's lightweight to take it with me to peoples houses to make quick jobs.

silibran, just curious, why don't you like the new singer?
I'm curious too. Some of the reviews I've read complain about the plastic parts and plastic body. Many have said to find a metal one. I don't know if I'll find a metal one in the price range I can justify, considering the few times it will likely be used.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:09 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,288,266 times
Before I bought my Babylock, I hung out on a sewing forum and looked at reviews. Singer is now the budget line for Husqvarna. I believe the firm owns these brands: Pfaff, Viking, Singer. Pfaff is the most expensive. Singer is the least. However, there are overlaps in models. There is one quilting machine which is sold by Janome, Babylock and Singer! (My information is several years old, so it might not be totally correct. But I have seen the machine myself, and seen the Singer ad for it.) I believe all of these machines are now made in China. In fact almost all machines are now made in China.

Brother makes Brother and Babylock machines in Taiwan. The models they sell are only slightly different from each other. Babylock does not make its own machines; it owns no factories. The reason I bought Babylock is because this brand seems to dominate the St. Louis area, where Tacony, the owner of the Babylock brand is located. I bought the shop where the machine was sold, frankly. They did right by me.

Virtually no one who sews likes the new Singers. Some don't even like the Singers from back to the 1970s. If you want an American built Singer, you might be able to find one from the sixties that has been refurbished.

But I recommend visiting shops that sell machines and trying them out for yourself. And here is a link for reviews. Http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/ I learned a lot reading reviews there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating