Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 PM

312 posts, read 832,643 times

Advertisements

Hi, we bought a house recently and are now figuring out what kind of work we want to do before we move in. My wife thinks the kitchen is small for a 3-bed house and wants to expand it. We have a deck behind our kitchen and she thinks we will not used it and it's a waste of space. The idea would be to get rid of deck and move the kitchen wall. But that would force us to loose the window. By city code we can't have a window parallel to the other property. That's why those decks exist.
I can't imagine liking a kitchen without windows. I like the light and the fresh air.

If we do that expansion we could also get some more space for the bathroom.
See the red lines on the image attached.

I like the deck and I think I will use it. It also bring tons os light into the kitchen and nook area.

There might be another way to make the kitchen feel bigger and work better.

Any ideas? Thoughts?

I appreciate it.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Kill deck and window to expand kitchen?-plan.png   Kill deck and window to expand kitchen?-gopr0393.jpg   Kill deck and window to expand kitchen?-gopr0394.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM

102,237 posts, read 108,130,790 times
I don't understand this thing about not being able to have a window parallel to the other property. You already have a window that's parallel to the other prop'ty, you'd only be setting it further out. ...oh. You mean on the opposite wall, on the exterior parlor wall? But you could do a skylight.

However, I see that issue as moot. You want to use the deck, great. Moving that wall out would involve moving the plumbing, which would add significant expense to the project. The way I see it, you have two alternatives. The simplest would be to eliminate the small divider that separates the kitchen from the nook. This will give you a little more length to the kitchen in terms of cabinetry/work area, and will bring the nook into the kitchen. You'll have a kitchen with its own breakfast area, and it will all look more airy and spacious. And more modern, really.

The other choice is to knock out the back wall of the kitchen, so it combines with the "parlor". (Just curious: what do you use that space for, now? Seems perfectly located for a formal dining room.) That would give you a huge kitchen, though anyone coming in the front door would be right in the kitchen/dining. I suppose a 3rd option would be to go get really wild and combine all 3 rooms: kitchen, parlor and nook. Plenty of room there for a dining space.

I vote for option #1: combining kitchen and nook. Most affordable, easiest, seem the most logical.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:29 PM

312 posts, read 832,643 times
Thanks for the reply.

About your first question. SF code says that any windows that is parallel to the neighboring property needs to be set 3ft away. That's why many houses have those decks. So the kitchen can have a window. The city wouldn't allow to put a window if the wall is right against the neighbors wall. There is a risk of loosing that nook high window too.

We do have a backyard. That's why my wife thinks we won't use the deck. But I think it will be nice to have coffee there or read a book in a sunny day. The backyard doesn't get as much light and it's nor completely private like the deck.

That parlor is actually the dining room. There is the option of knocking the wall and make it open, but I don't like it. I dont like the idea of the kitchen in everybody's face as they enter and circulate through the house. As you can see, the bedrooms and bathroom are on the back, people would always have to pass through the kitchen.

I am inclining to option #1, but would like to get some more opinions and ideas.

Thanks

Old 02-21-2013, 07:33 PM

I was also wondering if you have the option of putting a bigger window in the nook, so you'd have a nice view and more sun, if you make that a breakfast area. Which side is the south side? The deck side? The place seems a little dark. If you open the kitchen/nook up, you'd be able to put a small window where that diagonal shelf/cabinet is on the other side of the kitchen wall, in the nook.

I agree, the deck is nice for coffee or a little outdoor breakfast table. Congrats on buying in SF, btw.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-21-2013 at 07:43 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 07:46 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,138,033 times
Move the wall out, you have a window in the nook. You could change or expand skylights for roof windows if you want to open them. I read your explanation on windows but why can you have one in nook? Looks like it's high to clear wall. Can you repeat this and put in an operable awning window.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I read your explanation on windows but why can you have one in nook?
Notice that there's another one along the same wall in the bedroom, too. Supposedly no windows are allowed there.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:26 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,725,988 times
I'd follow your red lines kinda, but I'd flip that little entry closet to the other wall, as long as your wife would allow ya to have entry door opening into a closet door.

Obviously get rid of the 3 doors into the kitchen, major waste of space.

Take out the wall separating the kitchen/nook. Cut a door into the nook from the living room. This gives ya a longer inner wall in the kitchen and a little more cabinet space in the kitchen with an open nook area. Have your cabinetry form a bar with seating available in the nook.

Obviously you need windows though. I don't know how to resolve that. Are you sure about the code? You do have 2 windows along that wall, 1 in the br and the other in the nook now. Skylights maybe? That's one weird code, and I've never run into anything like that.

Can't get out the t-square as it's in the attic, but I took architecture in high school if that helps.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Notice that there's another one along the same wall in the bedroom, too. Supposedly no windows are allowed there.
I bet it's a high window like in nook, so that's probably doable

Old 02-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
I bet it's a high window like in nook, so that's probably doable
Right, I get it now. You're allowed to have high windows on that wall within 3' of the neighbors, to let in light without interfering with the neighbors' privacy, I guess. But if the neighbors' wall is a solid wall, like our OP's on the right-hand side of the house, why would it be interfering with privacy? It still doesn't make sense.

Senno, you're saying to create a bigger closet across from the entry, by walling off that side of the nook? That would create a lot more storage space, that's a really good idea. And if they move the fridge, they'll have the rest of that wall to put in a window the same size as the one that's there. OP, I'd have the kitchen extend past the new bathroom wall (to the right of the new wall), so there's a recess in the kitchen to provide space for the fridge. It would provide more space in the kitchen without moving the exterior wall. I'm still for keeping the deck. Move the fridge and remove the kit/nook room divider, and you've got more potential window space for more natural light.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-21-2013 at 10:06 PM..

Old 02-21-2013, 08:55 PM

High clerestory windows running the length of the kitchen wall above cabinets would be great with a high ceiling and like Senno said clear up clutter by getting rid of useless doors and possibly opening to parlor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating