Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 11:37 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,151,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Spice, pumpkin and reds will always be popular accessory colors for fall and that is the context in which they were used in the fall PB catalog. I would not want any of those colors on my walls. Also, most of the walls in the fall PB catalog were either white or off-white.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I've never been one to do seasonal decorating. I don't wear holiday sweaters/sweatshirts either.
True Cattknap, PB is pretty neutral with wall colors. I tend to fall into that camp as well. When I was younger I did bolder colors because I painted every 2 yrs. Now I would rather invest in changing decor and not painting walls.

Hopes, never been much of a seasonal decorator either. I dont host parties and the only time really I seasonal decorate is around Christmas. I try not to do it to early because I get sick of Christmas pretty fast. I have been known to take down xmas decor christmas night. lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 06:17 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,057,539 times
Quote:
I've never been one to do seasonal decorating. I don't wear holiday sweaters/sweatshirts either.
No hoiday sweaters or sweatshirts here either - I'm definitely a more tailored type, LOL but I adore decorating with natural things in the fall, branches from our maple tree, real pumpkins and mums, bowls of seed pods and acorns - love fall and all the things that go with it.

I also love the blues and greens of the beach - sand colors, off-white - beautiful. But I don't live at the sea or on the water - where I live has rolling hills and dense forest so really more of a rustic/mountain feel....and we are surrounded by fall colors - in fact, the maple trees that line are block are already showing quite a bit of color - now if it would only cool down just a bit I could really get in the mood

Fallingwater - I'm already sick of Christmas decorating and it isn't even here - I am beginning to understand why most of my female relatives stopped decorating as they got older - just too much work and too much clutter. I'm thinking of doing nothing but vases and wreaths of pine boughs (from my neighbor's tree)and a little holly from the yard - just natural things and giving the decorations to the kids .....I get tired just thinking of the days and days I spend every year putting up and taking down all the decorations.....bah humbug

Old 08-30-2012, 02:43 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
I'm not a fan of the brown, brown, and brown. Perhaps because I live by the ocean but I've always been drawn to white, linen, and nearly white. I do like adding more bold color like turquoise, orange, and bright yellow, which is a newer trend for me. Used to be all about the navy blues with a 'coastal' look. I think PB has become the standard for a 'traditional' home and that's why they are so very brown. Not my style.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:23 AM

4,233 posts, read 6,914,804 times
Quote:
After all of these dark colors being popular for the past years, light and airy is the only logical next trend.
I think it just depends on the style you are into as well as the brands and designers you are into. From my point of view, light and airy has been the trend for 5 years or more (but I'm not bashing it because it is one I have wholeheartedly bought into as my wife and I both love all the light wall colors we have). But that is probably due to the vendors and blogs and designers we follow versus maybe what you follow. It's all personal perspective

Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 AM

28,453 posts, read 85,421,872 times
Default More "trendy" than "traditional"...

The designers really are driven by a NEED to sell NEW STUFF EVERY SEASON. I am 100% sure that they look at their older collections / catalogs and consciously work on something that requires loyal followers to overhaul their homes ever 3-5 years.

It is a business necessity.

I generally prefer to purchase quality furnishings from firms that have a lot more modest marketing and tend to offer better long term value.

Sure, it is fun to peak in when I am the mall but aside from an occasional accent piece there is not a whole lot of reason for me to "invest" in a look that I know will be prematurely dated by the seller's need to move me toward their next "trend"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm not a fan of the brown, brown, and brown. Perhaps because I live by the ocean but I've always been drawn to white, linen, and nearly white. I do like adding more bold color like turquoise, orange, and bright yellow, which is a newer trend for me. Used to be all about the navy blues with a 'coastal' look. I think PB has become the standard for a 'traditional' home and that's why they are so very brown. Not my style.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
The designers really are driven by a NEED to sell NEW STUFF EVERY SEASON. I am 100% sure that they look at their older collections / catalogs and consciously work on something that requires loyal followers to overhaul their homes ever 3-5 years.
This is very true. Now, I do follow a lot of designers because I find design very interesting and I like to be inspired to incorporate little bits and pieces; however, I definitely do not think it is a good idea to try and mimic entire looks from catalogs or designers because your rooms will become "outdated" quickly. I like to try and choose Classic, neutral items for big furniture and wall colors and then mix in the trendy items or colors via accent pieces and pillows etc. that are cheap and can be replaced easily and painlessly.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post

It is a business necessity.

I generally prefer to purchase quality furnishings from firms that have a lot more modest marketing and tend to offer better long term value.

Sure, it is fun to peak in when I am the mall but aside from an occasional accent piece there is not a whole lot of reason for me to "invest" in a look that I know will be prematurely dated by the seller's need to move me toward their next "trend"...
Well, I did break out of my mold and buy something that was neither trendy nor brown nor even my usual coastal. I bought a big blue velvet couch. Just because. I liked it and I wanted it. Ultimately, I care little about what some magazine or designer tells me is the 'trend'. I buy things because I like them. I think a lot of people are that way but I still find it a bit frustrating when certain entities declare something is 'trendy', that is all you see. I had to go custom to get what I wanted because this couch didn't exist in any catalog and definitely not in a PB one.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Well, I did break out of my mold and buy something that was neither trendy nor brown nor even my usual coastal. I bought a big blue velvet couch. Just because. I liked it and I wanted it. Ultimately, I care little about what some magazine or designer tells me is the 'trend'. I buy things because I like them. I think a lot of people are that way but I still find it a bit frustrating when certain entities declare something is 'trendy', that is all you see. I had to go custom to get what I wanted because this couch didn't exist in any catalog and definitely not in a PB one.
Hey custom is good though!

Both our sofa and our chair in our living room are custom. One is completely custom as we did customer's own materials from a 3rd party and brought it to a small custom NC shop to use their frame and it turned out great. The other one is from Room & Board and it is only semi-custom; we picked out a frame but then we asked to get a fabric they don't offer on that particular chair (but it is used in their factory for other pieces of theirs). It cost a little more but it was totally worth it.

Last edited by Sunbather; 08-30-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,411,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Personally, I've been craving light airy colors for about a year now....air, water, sky. I'm looking forward to getting rid of the last of the earth tones in this house as soon as I can. My new favorite color is the color of the lichen on the trees down here. I have not yet found the paint color that nails this beautiful gray/green/blue color.
This is probably not the color you're looking for, but I painted my living space in a Benjamin Moore color called "Beach Glass". Well, just the name alone is soothing, right? It is a combo of gray/blue/green and reminds me of a relaxing spa. I am a bit of a color-commitment-phobe and I like neutral-ish colors, and this color looks perfect with white trim and medium-tone hardwood floors. It's a color (family) that's been used quite frequently by Scott (whatever) on Income Property.

I'm sick of the earth tones, too, and the faux-Tuscan look.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who HATES decorating for Christmas and, other than throwing a wreath on the door, really doesn't do any.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:03 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,184,054 times
What I noticed was the lack of color on the walls. We've been in a color vacuum for a number of years. I still see magazine rooms done all in white. But I like looking at the PB catalog every time it comes out. And you can look at the Benjamin Moore colors they've selected for this year.

I like gray for walls. I intend to use it in my new to me house. It especially looks good with white trim, I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating