Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 02:38 AM

10 posts, read 16,051 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I need some serious help. I'm a young, single male and design isn't really my specialty. With that being said, I want to do something with this window/door to the balcony. As you can see from the picture, it's a large sliding glass door with a window on each side of the door. The windows currently only have blinds, and the sliding glass door has the individual blinds that remind me of 1992. So what would everyone recommend to cover this space? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Curtain/Drape Help-0216020432.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 05:37 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,775,936 times
Me, I'd put one drapery all across the entire slider and windows. Opening in the middle and set the rod higher above the slider and windows. It would give the area a less boxey look.

Old 02-16-2012, 06:48 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dollydo View Post
Me, I'd put one drapery all across the entire slider and windows. Opening in the middle and set the rod higher above the slider and windows. It would give the area a less boxey look.
Except if you look on the right side of the small window, there is no room to hang a curtain rod.

2000black&gold--what do you want to accomplish? Do you need privacy, want to block the sun, just spruce up the window??

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,397,134 times
Quote:
I think I'd consider a "hotel style" window treatment, one that extended across all the windows.. I guess it also matters whats on the other side of the windows - how much privacy do you need, are you ok with just glass when it's open or would you like a sheer of some kind?

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 AM

935 posts, read 3,449,508 times
What are your goals in order of importance? i.e. privacy (people can't see in), energy (keep light out on hot days), aesthetics, etc...

What types of furniture and things do you like? Contemporary, modern, retro, traditional? You like darks and leathers, micro-suede, barkaloungers with cup holders and remote caddies? These things will have an impact on what type of window dressing will suite you best and make you happiest.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 AM

410 posts, read 743,263 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Except if you look on the right side of the small window, there is no room to hang a curtain rod.
I would agree with the first suggestion, using a double rod and put sheer panels underneath for extra privacy (plus I think it looks nice), but only extend the rods to the edges of the window trim. To solve the problem that the second poster mentioned, I would make sure to get very simple rods with no ornate detail on the ends. You should still be able to pull the curtains all the way to the edges of the window trim. To let light in you can simply pull the curtains shut to expose but still frame the sliding door. Practical and pretty.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:49 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,328,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jifwittle View Post
I would agree with the first suggestion, using a double rod and put sheer panels underneath for extra privacy (plus I think it looks nice), but only extend the rods to the edges of the window trim. To solve the problem that the second poster mentioned, I would make sure to get very simple rods with no ornate detail on the ends. You should still be able to pull the curtains all the way to the edges of the window trim. To let light in you can simply pull the curtains shut to expose but still frame the sliding door. Practical and pretty.
Look again at the picture--there is no place to mount the bracket for a curtain rod on the right side and there is a door there and a curtain rod would interfere with opening the door.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:33 PM

Wow thanks for all the responses! I agree that a curtain that expands across both windows and the door would look great... but I didn't even know they made such a thing. Like I said, I'm clueless. As far as my style goes... I guess you could call it traditional? Maybe modern traditional? It doesn't look like something you'd see in your grandmother's house, but it's also not something you'd see in an ultra modern house on HGTV. I prefer darker, earth colors. The colors I'm currently using in the room are blacks, browns, golds, and tans.

For what I want to accomplish... I want something that allows privacy, but also can keep a good amount of light out. It doesn't have to be totally dark, just somewhat. The current setup is a pain if I want to close everything. I have to close both blinds, then slide the blind thing across for the door, making sure each individual blind (I don't know what you actually call it) is closed.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:37 PM

410 posts, read 743,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Look again at the picture--there is no place to mount the bracket for a curtain rod on the right side and there is a door there and a curtain rod would interfere with opening the door.
You would hang the curtain rod over the window trim and just take it to the very corner of the wall. From what I am seeing it will not interfere with the door.

Old 02-17-2012, 02:23 AM

Again, pardon my ignorance, but where would I purchase a curtain rod and a curtain large enough to cover such a large area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating