Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,549 times

Advertisements

You don't sound like an idiot. I would have trouble visualizing this too, lol.

Look at the pics posted above by Hopes. On the bottom row there are rust colored curtains on a glass door. Those curtains are centered on the door. When they are open from the middle, the stack back leaves equal amounts of the door exposed on each side.

Now imagine what would happen if you extended the rod one foot further out on the left side only. If the stack back is one foot wide, the open curtains would completely clear the left window and hang against the wall. Over on the right side, one foot of the glass, would be obscured by the stacked curtains.

Personally, I like as much window showing as possible when my curtains are open. I would not center the curtains on the windows unless the stack back was very narrow (and that depends upon the weight and fullness of the panels you buy). I'm sure you will have at least a foot of stack back and it will probably be more like two feet on each side. So at a minimum half of each side window will remain covered when the curtains are open.

I would run the rod across the entire wall. Get your panels and before you attach them to each other, see whether you like them all the way to the left or if you prefer a center draw.

I don't know what the wall is like around the corner of the window wall, but you can probably get a rod that would wrap around that corner as far as necessary to allow all of your windows to show. A foot or so of curtain hanging down the outer edge of the enclave might look VERY odd...or not.

I recommend that you take pictures of BOTH the window wall and the wall that intersects with it. Take precise measurements of both walls (width and height) and the set of windows (outside edge of trim to trim and top of trim to the floor).

Go to Penneys and make full use of their professional window treatment staff. They will be able to show you every option. They have grommet top curtains in every weight from sheer to heavily lined and they can help you figure out what weight you want. Once you know that, you will know how wide your stack back will be. They can get every type of rod, so they can help you decide if you want one that runs around the corner. They can also help you find one that deals with the fact that you have no room on the right for a finial. They are there to serve...you don't have to buy from them, but next to Ikea they usually have the best prices on drapery and hardware. Call ahead and ask them when they are the least busy, so you are not competing for their time when you go in.

And with all of this talk about how it will be hard to open your curtains to reveal all of the windows, maybe you will be rethinking how much trouble it is to operate three blinds. I'm wondering if the big blind on the door has something wrong with it...it shouldn't be a hassle to open and close it.

And you can get really nice blinds for the windows that allow you to open them from the top or bottom. Opening them from the top, allows you to keep the bottom part covered for privacy, while letting in sunlight from the higher part of the window.

Penneys can show you all of the blind and shade options too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
I don't know what the wall is like around the corner of the window wall, but you can probably get a rod that would wrap around that corner as far as necessary to allow all of your windows to show. A foot or so of curtain hanging down the outer edge of the enclave might look VERY odd...or not.
It appears that there is an interior door right at that corner on the right edge of the picture.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 16,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
The vaulted ceiling ends on that wall above the door, right? Meaning it's the lowest right there.

If so, it will look good. If not, we need more pictures of that space from differen directions.
Correct, the vaulted ceiling ends on that wall.

Quote:
You don't sound like an idiot. I would have trouble visualizing this too, lol.

Look at the pics posted above by Hopes. On the bottom row there are rust colored curtains on a glass door. Those curtains are centered on the door. When they are open from the middle, the stack back leaves equal amounts of the door exposed on each side.

Now imagine what would happen if you extended the rod one foot further out on the left side only. If the stack back is one foot wide, the open curtains would completely clear the left window and hang against the wall. Over on the right side, one foot of the glass, would be obscured by the stacked curtains.

Personally, I like as much window showing as possible when my curtains are open. I would not center the curtains on the windows unless the stack back was very narrow (and that depends upon the weight and fullness of the panels you buy). I'm sure you will have at least a foot of stack back and it will probably be more like two feet on each side. So at a minimum half of each side window will remain covered when the curtains are open.

I would run the rod across the entire wall. Get your panels and before you attach them to each other, see whether you like them all the way to the left or if you prefer a center draw.

I recommend that you take pictures of BOTH the window wall and the wall that intersects with it. Take precise measurements of both walls (width and height) and the set of windows (outside edge of trim to trim and top of trim to the floor).

Go to Penneys and make full use of their professional window treatment staff. They will be able to show you every option. They have grommet top curtains in every weight from sheer to heavily lined and they can help you figure out what weight you want. Once you know that, you will know how wide your stack back will be. They can get every type of rod, so they can help you decide if you want one that runs around the corner. They can also help you find one that deals with the fact that you have no room on the right for a finial. They are there to serve...you don't have to buy from them, but next to Ikea they usually have the best prices on drapery and hardware. Call ahead and ask them when they are the least busy, so you are not competing for their time when you go in.

And with all of this talk about how it will be hard to open your curtains to reveal all of the windows, maybe you will be rethinking how much trouble it is to operate three blinds. I'm wondering if the big blind on the door has something wrong with it...it shouldn't be a hassle to open and close it.

And you can get really nice blinds for the windows that allow you to open them from the top or bottom. Opening them from the top, allows you to keep the bottom part covered for privacy, while letting in sunlight from the higher part of the window.

Penneys can show you all of the blind and shade options too.
Okay, this helps a lot, so much that I think I now know what I want to do. I was afraid that having the curtain open and pull just to the left side would look awkward, but I saw a window in the background of a show on HGTV today and it actually looked really nice. So I think I'm going to go that option.

I just looked over J.C. Penney's website... I had no clue that they did window treatments! So thanks for the tip. I think I'm definitely going to have to check them out.

I guess the only question I have left is concerning the design of the curtain itself. What would look good? I personally like blacks, tans, and golds. My comforter (this window is in the master bedroom) is black and my sheets are gold/tan, with brown/black/tan accent pillows. So I'd like to have something that goes with that. In my head I envision a black curtain with maybe some gold trim elements. Anyway, I'd just like to have some feedback on what would go well with everything.

Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 PM

Oh, something else I was thinking about... I've seen some windows that have the white lace type curtain behind the main one (sorry I don't know the actual name). Does everyone think that'd look good? And if so, and I know this is gonna get some laughter, would it look manly enough? Haha I am a young, single male, and I'd like the place to look classy and elegant but not feminine. Anyway, hope everyone got a good laugh out of that, but I'm also serious. Lol

Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000black&gold View Post
Oh, something else I was thinking about... I've seen some windows that have the white lace type curtain behind the main one (sorry I don't know the actual name). Does everyone think that'd look good? And if so, and I know this is gonna get some laughter, would it look manly enough? Haha I am a young, single male, and I'd like the place to look classy and elegant but not feminine. Anyway, hope everyone got a good laugh out of that, but I'm also serious. Lol
I'm not going to laugh. Go with sheers instead of lace. That way you can have the option of having the heavier drapes pulled back during the day but leave the white sheers in place to let light come through while providing privacy during the day. It won't be feminine. It's a classic window treatment. You'll need a double rod.

As for the drapes, let's just look at JCPenny for ideas.

jcp | curtains & drapes

You could do solid black:

Striped or swirled (these come in black and grey stripes/swirls):

Geometric:

All of these are at JCPenny.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Actually the window treatment department of Penneys is actually an outside vender. The people that work in that department are very well trained.

Lace curtains would be too feminine. They are also wrong for your style.

I suggest you take some photos of your whole room and get color suggestions from Penneys. Take a sample of the bedding or the colors you are trying to work with.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Lace curtains would be too feminine. They are also wrong for your style.
Sheers will work though. Sheer's aren't fem. Sheers are practical. They come in the exact same style as the curtains he will buy.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:51 PM

Agreed that sheers are fine...just not lace.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Sheers will work though. Sheer's aren't fem. Sheers are practical. They come in the exact same style as the curtains he will buy.
Yeah that looks really good! Thanks for posting all of the pictures, it makes it so much easier to get a visual of what it will actually look like.

Quote:
Agreed that sheers are fine...just not lace.
Sorry, I didn't really know the correct terminology. I definitely don't want lace, but sheer was the word I was looking for. Just something to let light in but still allow some privacy.

Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can actually complete the project. When I do I'll post some pictures. Thanks so much to everyone for all your help, you guys have truly been great! And thanks for having patience with me.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:27 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,224,159 times
They sell sheer panels in a variety colors, including black, so you could coordinate with whatever drapes you decide upon. You can see some here. (Of course, you wouldn't need the sheer topper they show with them.) The darker the color and the fuller they are, the less light will flow through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating