Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 01:22 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,030,943 times

Advertisements

Since you want all of the windows to be seen when the curtains are open, you need to have curtains that pull completely to the left side past the window, not pulling from the center to both sides.

Like this:

Not like this:

If you have them pull from the center, you will never see your side windows again.

Make sure your rod extends far enough to the left to pull the curtains completely away from all of the windows, past the end of the window. So when the curtains are open to the left, you can see all windows and doors, since there is plenty of room for stackback on the left side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 01:37 PM

50,362 posts, read 63,948,892 times
I do not like the lack of symmetry in this suggestion. I would sooner have most of the side windows covered.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I do not like the lack of symmetry in this suggestion. I would sooner have most of the side windows covered.
He can't meet his goals and have symmetry at the same time. Most curtains for sliding glass doors have lack of symmetry because the door only opens on one side. He will be merely pushing it further off to the side out of view. If he choses the right fabric, it will look fine when it's open to the left side. His rod should go almost to the ceiling.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM

256 posts, read 1,390,408 times
You haven't mentioned your budget. If price is no option, you could go to a specialty blind store and look into some remote control options, but they are $$$$.

Assuming price is an option, since you don't like operating three separate blinds, the obvious solution is the wall to wall drapery.

You will get the 144" decorative curtain rod and extend it wall to wall (probably without using the finials).

I see there is a little bit of room on the left for stack back, but I doubt it is enough to leave the entire left window showing. Grommet top drapery will greatly reduce the stack back width AND they are super easy to slide back and forth on a decorative pole rod.

Definitely try to get drapes long enough to hang from close to the ceiling as it makes the ceiling seem higher. If you are limited to hanging them at the top of the window frame because you can't get the length to do otherwise, that is fine too.

Check out Ikea for your drapes. They do carry some grommet panels and if they have a color, pattern, weight that you like, you won't beat their prices.

You will need at least 4 panels. You will have to find a way to attach the sides of one panel to the other. If you can get someone to sew them together for you that would be great, but there are numerous no sew options too. Whatever you do will be seen from the outside.

Old 02-27-2012, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorchallenged View Post
You will get the 144" decorative curtain rod and extend it wall to wall (probably without using the finials).
It will need to be more than 144" for a left side stack back past the left window.

Quote:
I see there is a little bit of room on the left for stack back, but I doubt it is enough to leave the entire left window showing.
I get the feeling that there is an entire wall over to the left side.

Quote:
Definitely try to get drapes long enough to hang from close to the ceiling as it makes the ceiling seem higher. If you are limited to hanging them at the top of the window frame because you can't get the length to do otherwise, that is fine too.
I think it's important to hang them at the ceiling. That long drapes will be modern. And the rod won't be distracting when the curtains are all the way open. There are plenty of long drapes out there. His ceilings aren't super high. I think he will be able to find some long enough.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:13 PM

OP, if you are like Gentlearts and you can't stand the thought of pulling the drapes all to one side, you have two other options. You can center the curtains on the windows or you can center them on the wall.

If you want the curtains to fall across the windows at exactly the same point when they are open, stop the rod exactly as far from the outside of the left window as it stops on the right window. This will mean you are leaving more of the left hand window covered than necessary, wasting the stack back room you have on that side.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:20 PM

You may be right about the width Hopes. He wrote
Quote:
I measured and from the wall to the end of the window it's 12 feet, or 144 inches.
Somehow I assume he was measuring from the left wall to the end of the right window, which would be wall to wall. In hindsight if he meant wall to wall he would have said so, lol.

I didn't think the wall goes much more than a foot or so past the left window though, because I see the sofa up against what appears to be that left hand wall. If the wall is much farther out than a foot, I would absolutely do the left hand draw treatment!

So OP, now you need a longer rod than 144", unless you opt to center the curtains on the windows.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
I didn't think the wall goes much more than a foot or so past the left window though, because I see the sofa up against what appears to be that left hand wall. If the wall is much farther out than a foot, I would absolutely do the left hand draw treatment!
I see another piece of furniture behind the sofa. That indicates to me that there is another room over there, perhaps it's an L shaped room. Or maybe it's just a walkway behind the sofa. Either way, even two or three feet of wall space past the left window will probably provide enough space to fully open the curtains if he buys ones that fold up compactly.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:31 AM

10 posts, read 16,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
He can't meet his goals and have symmetry at the same time. Most curtains for sliding glass doors have lack of symmetry because the door only opens on one side. He will be merely pushing it further off to the side out of view. If he choses the right fabric, it will look fine when it's open to the left side. His rod should go almost to the ceiling.
I'm not totally opposed to having curtains pull all the way to the left. I guess I'd prefer that they pull to each side, but it doesn't look like that's a viable option, at least not if I'd like to still be able to see (most) of the windows.

Quote:
You haven't mentioned your budget. If price is no option, you could go to a specialty blind store and look into some remote control options, but they are $$$$.

Assuming price is an option, since you don't like operating three separate blinds, the obvious solution is the wall to wall drapery.

I see there is a little bit of room on the left for stack back, but I doubt it is enough to leave the entire left window showing. Grommet top drapery will greatly reduce the stack back width AND they are super easy to slide back and forth on a decorative pole rod.

Check out Ikea for your drapes. They do carry some grommet panels and if they have a color, pattern, weight that you like, you won't beat their prices.

You will need at least 4 panels. You will have to find a way to attach the sides of one panel to the other. If you can get someone to sew them together for you that would be great, but there are numerous no sew options too. Whatever you do will be seen from the outside.
As far as my budget... I'd like to keep it as inexpensive as possible, but still get the desired results with a great look to it. So although motorized would certainly be nice, I'm sure it'd cost more than a few hundred dollars.

To solve the debate about the left wall... the wall ends approximately a foot past the window, but then is recessed (if that even makes sense). There's a desk there now, which I plan on soon replacing with a dresser. It's like a little enclave in the room. Hopefully that makes sense.

Grommet type drapery does sound great, cause I'd really like to have something that can easily be slid back and forth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
It will need to be more than 144" for a left side stack back past the left window.

I get the feeling that there is an entire wall over to the left side.

I think it's important to hang them at the ceiling. That long drapes will be modern. And the rod won't be distracting when the curtains are all the way open. There are plenty of long drapes out there. His ceilings aren't super high. I think he will be able to find some long enough.
The ceiling ends a little above where the picture cuts off, however, the ceiling is vaulted and goes to a total height of about 15 feet. Would it still look good to hang them from close to the top of the wall?

Quote:
OP, if you are like Gentlearts and you can't stand the thought of pulling the drapes all to one side, you have two other options. You can center the curtains on the windows or you can center them on the wall.

If you want the curtains to fall across the windows at exactly the same point when they are open, stop the rod exactly as far from the outside of the left window as it stops on the right window. This will mean you are leaving more of the left hand window covered than necessary, wasting the stack back room you have on that side.
I may sound like an idiot, but I'm lost! Lol is there a picture I could see to get an idea of this? Thanks for your response.

And thanks to everyone for your input. You've all given me LOTS of ideas and I'm a lot more educated and have much more of an idea of what I want to do now than when I started this project.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000black&gold View Post
The ceiling ends a little above where the picture cuts off, however, the ceiling is vaulted and goes to a total height of about 15 feet. Would it still look good to hang them from close to the top of the wall?
The vaulted ceiling ends on that wall above the door, right? Meaning it's the lowest right there.

If so, it will look good. If not, we need more pictures of that space from differen directions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating