Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2012, 05:20 PM

173 posts, read 500,280 times

Advertisements

I am about to finish the basement in an older "mountain" cabin/small house. The upstairs has a wall of windows and big beams. Fair amount of wood.

I'm trying to keep the costs down since the price of real estate here has dropped like a rocket and I'll never get my $ back, but I also wanted it to be nice and cozy.

Questions:
Bath will be medium size with about a 6-8 foot vanity. Granite is too much $.

Have any of you used ceramic tile? Did you use large 12 in to minimize grout lines?
I want to keep resale in mind (in a few years) and am using white tub, sink, etc.
Are beige/tan tiles for tub surround, floor AND a vanity too much beige. The floor tiles has some other, still neutral, colors. I was thinking of a darker one for floor and lighter warmer for surround and vanity.

What about tile for the bar sink counter?

I'll post in real estate, too.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,129,898 times
Tile on a bathroom counter is such a pain. Between cosmetic stains and chemicals from hair products, it is hard to maintain no matter what size tiles you use.

I would consider Corian and even an upgraded laminate before I would tile a bathroom countertop.

You could consider granite tiles. It is cheaper than a granite slab and has smaller grout lines than ceramic tile.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,354,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Tile on a bathroom counter is such a pain. Between cosmetic stains and chemicals from hair products, it is hard to maintain no matter what size tiles you use.

I would consider Corian and even an upgraded laminate before I would tile a bathroom countertop.

You could consider granite tiles. It is cheaper than a granite slab and has smaller grout lines than ceramic tile.
I agree. I HATE grout. Especially in a bathroom where there's water on it all the time.

Is it crucial to get something immediately? My local big box hardwares both have open-box or returned vanities for sale cheap that often have tops and even sinks that come-with. I saw one the other day that was a wood vanity with a brown granite top and a white undermount sink for what I would have expected to pay for a good faucet.

Old 01-22-2012, 06:56 PM

173 posts, read 500,280 times
The problem with the HD vanities is that they are too small. It's a large bath.

I have thought of granite tiles, but will have to see if builder can do them. They need special saws.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,421,650 times
Having a tile vanity in a bathroom would be a real turnoff for me. I HATE tile on countertops. Glasses and such don't sit level on them, if you drop something on them it will break, etc. You might be able to find a scrap piece of granite for a reasonable price but I would just go with a high def laminate or a preformed countertop vs tile.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:02 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,177,677 times
I agree with the others, tile counters are a pain however I do actually like the looks of them. I would go with formica etc. Granite is the rage but I have seen too many people not like the color and want to tear it out etc. You can't please everyone.

I have seen large nice vanities with granite tops (with sinks built in) at odd ball places like overstock.com and even at Sam's Club for cheap.

Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM

42,007 posts, read 75,401,765 times
I like tile counters. Everyone's gotta be different!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

17,485 posts, read 66,268,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
I am about to finish the basement in an older "mountain" cabin/small house. The upstairs has a wall of windows and big beams. Fair amount of wood.
And this has what to do with a tile counter or bar sink?
I'm trying to keep the costs down since the price of real estate here has dropped like a rocket and I'll never get my $ back, but I also wanted it to be nice and cozy.
I believe the answer goes without saying...

... OK if you insist, just do a laminate counter top! They're cheap, inexpensive, economical, value rated. Come in a myriad of colors and styles. Are easy to maintain and quite durable if not abused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating