Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 24,248 times

Advertisements

I am looking for ideas and/or pros and cons about using an undermount kitchen single bowl sink in a bathroom vanity that does double duty with a laundry closet. Vanity is 36". While I don't want the true depth of a laundry/utility sink I would like to be able to soak things periodically in the bathroom and not the kitchen upstairs.

I was thinking of a granite top (remnant) with a stainless sink so the bathroom can also be stylish. Would a 9" bowl be too deep? Can the vanity top be 22" or should I go 25" like a standard kitchen cabinet? Area has walls on both sides so pulling it out some wouldn't be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:09 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSanders304 View Post
...I would like to be able to soak things periodically...
Rubbermaid makes a terrific selection of tubs and buckets. Use one.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:27 AM

Gee, thanks. Hope you didn't strain your noggin' with that suggestion.

Where do you suggest I use this newfangled rubbermaid tub or bucket? Since the bathroom is long and narrow my options are: the floor wedged between the toilet and the washer where the water will slosh around and tear up my floor? Or the bathtub, with the faucet end wedged beside the toilet on the other side where I will have to fight the shower doors, remove my hidden laundry baskets and slosh water onto the floor? Or, I know, have it sit on top of my narrow vanity where when I dump out the water when finished, it will splash out and run over the vanity top and slosh water onto my floor like my current dehumidifier does!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 AM

935 posts, read 3,446,339 times
You need to talk to someone who knows specifications for plumbing fixtures. Kitchen sinks are defined for a different purpose than bath plumbing. I think the drain stack may be a different size, but I am not 100% positive. I have my NKBA Bath book in the car and maybe I'll look it up later today. But get advice from a professional before you make a purchase. Changing the size of the drain stack to the main drain is not a simple installation.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:43 AM

Thank you! I didn't even take into account the drain size would be different. I just want to be able to use a deeper sink for utility purposes without traipsing up and down stairs to the kitchen. The bathroom is a horrible, cramped design straight out of the 60s. The best place I have room and access to move around without contortion is at the vanity.

While I am updating the harvest yellow toilet, avocado green floor and antique white PLASTIC vanity, I thought I'd add a little function to the sink area.

Would I run into the same problem with a bar sink?

Old 11-22-2011, 10:58 AM

Just google for "size of soil and waste branches" to get a list of standard branches. You need to know the size of your existing bathroom sink soil stack. All bathroom sink soil stacks should be the same size (1.5"), but things change over time, so depending on the age of the home, who knows... Then you need to purchase a fixture that has that size drain. If you want to know if you have more options, like using a larger drain above, or changing the drain size, you'll need to talk to an expert. Whatever you do, be aware of building codes. If you go out of code on a fixture, you may be forced to correct it when you go to sell your place.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:07 AM

If building codes were an issue within the city I live, my house couldn't have been sold to me! But I also don't want to spend a small forture with this project. Thanks again for your insight.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:22 AM

I'm talking about you making an alteration to your plumbing that might put you outside of the current codes. Good luck!

Old 11-22-2011, 12:29 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,019,193 times
Of course it can be done. The depth of the cabinet is not an issue depending on the size of the bowl.
But the depth of the bowl may make a difference depending on the height of the cabinet and the rough-in height of the drain. Drains are usually roughed-in @ 20" off of subfloor. If a standard vanity (31") is installed over finished floor a standard bowl (7-1/2") will work without problems.
So, if you go with a 9" deep bowl you'd probably need to have a standard kitchen base cabinet (that would make a finished height of 36") to raise the height of the bowl.
Number one rule of plumbing- S#!T does not go up hill. Nor does water.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSanders304 View Post
Or the bathtub...
There you go. Problem solved.
hth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating