Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 07:10 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,572 times

Advertisements

Hello City-Data people,
So after years of living with brown sofa after brown sofa and beige sofa, I went and bought a red sofa and love seat and Im kinda freaking out now. I haven't scheduled a day for the delivery yet, so I can still change my mind. Here are my concerns:
1-Is it too much to have a red sofa+ red love seat? Or do people mix and match the colors? Which one would look better red sofa+ matching red love seat or red sofa + some other color love seat? I can still cancel the order for the love seat and just get the sofa.

2-What are good colors, ideas to decorate the room around the red furniture. I am moving to a new place and Im not bringing any of my living room furniture with me so I am open to any ideas for wall decors, side tables, etc... as I am decorating from scratch. How about rug color/design? Pillows for sofa?

As for decor taste, I like vintage & modern decors better.

Any ideas are welcome and appreciated. Thank you so much for any help you can give.

The sofas are actually this color and very similar in shape to these http://www.marlofurniture.com/Catalo...P21153808.aspx and my wall color is very similar to the one on the picture as well.

Last edited by DCmum; 11-26-2011 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,935,440 times
I personally like the two pieces. Calm down and carry on. I think you made a good choice.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:36 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,943,372 times
How exciting! I think that red sofa and loveseat will be pretty, and your wall color will be fine with it.

I am not a decorator and some here are so pay attention to what they say, not me. My instinct would be to use calm, neutral colors for most of your larger decorating accents in the room (such as extra sofa pillows, throw rug if any, and so on) so that they are not "fighting" with the sofa for attention. Maybe you could pick up the red in a painting or as one of several colors in the curtains, to carry it through the room.

You are going to love your new red sofa and loveseat!

Old 11-26-2011, 07:45 PM

1,057 posts, read 2,421,572 times
Thanks guys, I guess I was freaking because Im so used to only buying regular boring furniture i-e brown or black, so this is the first time I am taking the plunge with color and don't know what to do with the rest of the room lol. Just don't want it to look tacky or something from a coloring book

Old 11-26-2011, 07:59 PM

I just love the pieces and the look of that room . . .it is going to be very cozy and it looks comfy . . .I personally favor an eclectic style myself and would feel free to mix and match other furniture in the room - black accents could be nice, also . . .just trust your instincts, they seem to be good thus far!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:01 PM

Actually, on second look, I do not like the accents shown in that room . . .when I said I liked the look of the room above, it was the room in my head . . .it is a very warm room, very comfy with lots of interesting accents . . .

Old 11-26-2011, 08:11 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,146,601 times
Just looking at it make me want to go "Ahhhhhhh" and get use to being nice and comfy for a long time. Love it. The sky is the limit for you as far as accent colors go, depending upon the actual wall color. A couple of nice toss pillows or a throw would look fine. I love the red, but again, for those of you that don't know. I have a tangerine kitchen that before the tangerine, was lime green and before the lime green was a reddish coral, so I am not afraid of color.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:28 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,121,612 times
Good choice. They look comfy and the "red" you chose (if it looks anything IRL like it does on my computer) is actually fairly "neutral".

Perhaps it will calm your mind if you think of your sofa/loveseat as "paprika" or "brick" instead?

Many colors should work well with this. Sage green, butter yellow, even your beloved brown and beige.

If you ~want~ to make the red "pop" add strong colors such as navy, black or cream to your decor.

Enjoy!

Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 PM

16,080 posts, read 21,181,230 times
Outer Limits Multicolor Area Rug (8' x 10') | Overstock.com
Interesting color palette.
I think the light blue and eggplant bring a touch of the unexpected.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:37 PM

18,409 posts, read 19,045,166 times
gad that isn't even really red, I thought you were talking china red which is way cool too. in the picture on my screen it looks more coral. depending on if it is a true red or not would help pick an accent color. either way, great looking sofa and I love the color.

do you want a contrast? or do you prefer a blend. a contrast will look more contemporary or modern. you could go crisp and clean looking, adding in lots of white. use black or not, then pick an accent color, yellow or a green, even some purples would look good. orange with a teal accent is good too.

stay with all the same finishes if you pick a dark wood or if you go metal. look at it like you were getting dressed, make sure the color is evenly spaced about the room. add texture and interest. red looks great with the "natural elements" bamboo, greenery, woods. have fun

here is a link I googled red sofas
red sofa rooms - Google Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating