Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 08:14 PM

251 posts, read 938,225 times

Advertisements

I want to hang a flag off our front stoop. We have nothing but brick to drill into though. I only have a regular drill, but I do have masonry bits. How necessary is a hammer drill? Are we talking damage to the drill or damage to the house? Or just a PITA to do?
Along those lines, I'm trying to conceive how the bracket will "hang". Do I use regular screws? What expands/bores the screw into the brick tightly?

Also, does anyone know etiquette regarding hanging a US flag? Am I required to hang it a certain height off the ground or on a certain side of the door?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,156,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elacklen View Post
I want to hang a flag off our front stoop. We have nothing but brick to drill into though. I only have a regular drill, but I do have masonry bits. How necessary is a hammer drill? Are we talking damage to the drill or damage to the house? Or just a PITA to do?
Along those lines, I'm trying to conceive how the bracket will "hang". Do I use regular screws? What expands/bores the screw into the brick tightly?

Also, does anyone know etiquette regarding hanging a US flag? Am I required to hang it a certain height off the ground or on a certain side of the door?
Thanks!
Regular drill with a masonry bit will work fine. Hammer drills make it so much faster and easier though. It's more of a PIA with a regular drill and your drill bit will wear out faster. Use wall anchors to mount your flag (plastic little tubes that go in the hole you drilled and you screw into that. Be sure to read what size of drill bit you need to use on the package of anchors).

Just make sure your flag does not touch the ground.

Old 09-07-2011, 01:58 PM

61 posts, read 388,618 times
Also be sure to either take the flag in at night or keep it lit.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:00 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,866,364 times
Gorilla glue or masonry epoxy.

Old 09-08-2011, 04:47 PM

1 posts, read 4,951 times
Brick is relatively soft and you can drill it with the regular drill. If you have any trouble you can try a different brand of bit. Bosch seem to work better than the less expensive ones.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:26 PM

1,222 posts, read 5,164,287 times
Great resource for flying the flag!

Flag Code

WRXFlyer was correct; retire the colors (can you tell I'm married to a retired Soldier who once served on a Color Guard assignment!) at night or illuminate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating