Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 03:52 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,247,610 times

Advertisements

A few years ago I had a guy hang a heavy bathroom mirror for me, and he used these thin pieces of bent metal that were maybe a few inches long. Instead of using a nail or screw sinker, etc., you simply push the piece of wire through the wall and twist it, and it had a kinda V shaped bend that stuck out that you hang your item on. The bent section of the wire inside the wall kind of applied itself with pressure against the inside of the drywall for stability.

He left the leftovers at my house when he was done, and they came in a smallish oblong box maybe the size of a woman's hand. Unfortunately, I lost the box when I moved.

The closest home stores where I lived when he bought them, were Menards and Lowes, but I yielded no results looking online there. I asked the guy who originally bought them, and he forgot.

Does anyone know what these are called or where to buy them? I tried Googling, but I cannot guess the right key words to get any results in my search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 04:01 PM

3,178 posts, read 6,867,543 times
Something like this?

Shop The Hillman Group No Stud Drywall Picture Hanger at Lowes.com

http://www.nostud.com/

Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM

Thanks HWGuy but, no, those aren't it.

They are 1 single piece of metal wire maybe the guage of a wire coat hanger, and it's just one solid piece of the wire that has been machine bent and angled. There are no flat parts or machine tooled pieces that fit together like your links above. Part of the reason I liked them, is that they are somewhat thin, so when you push them through the drywall, they don't leave a large hole like screws with sinkers and heavier nails.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:18 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,596,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
A few years ago I had a guy hang a heavy bathroom mirror for me, and he used these thin pieces of bent metal that were maybe a few inches long. Instead of using a nail or screw sinker, etc., you simply push the piece of wire through the wall and twist it, and it had a kinda V shaped bend that stuck out that you hang your item on. The bent section of the wire inside the wall kind of applied itself with pressure against the inside of the drywall for stability.

He left the leftovers at my house when he was done, and they came in a smallish oblong box maybe the size of a woman's hand. Unfortunately, I lost the box when I moved.

The closest home stores where I lived when he bought them, were Menards and Lowes, but I yielded no results looking online there. I asked the guy who originally bought them, and he forgot.

Does anyone know what these are called or where to buy them? I tried Googling, but I cannot guess the right key words to get any results in my search.

Here you go....They are called Monkey Hooks, and I have found them at several places - Kmart, Walmart, Ace Hardware, HomeDepot, and Lowes. I think there's another brand but they are virtually identical - they are pretty cheap and work GREAT. Here's a link in case you can't find any locally. The Amazing MonkeyHook® Heavy Duty Wall Hanger, Drywall Picture Hanger, Picture Hook
Good luck. I have a solid cherry antique mirror that my mother gave me years ago and it is hanging in our front entryway. I have it hanging on one of these - and it doesn't even wiggle a bit with traffic in the foyer.

Old 11-24-2013, 07:15 PM

Thank you, CFoulke! The hooks I used before were definitely in different packaging, but the hook itself is exactly what I have been trying to find with no luck. I should of asked on here a week ago and saved myself a lot of time searching.

Thanks again!

PS, Do you know what department to find them in? I have looked at Lowes and Wal Mart where I saw picture hanging items, and did not see them when I was in there. Maybe they have them in some obscure "As seen on tv" section, or ... ? If you can't remember, I will just ask an employee, now that I know what to ask for by name.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,596,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Thank you, CFoulke! The hooks I used before were definitely in different packaging, but the hook itself is exactly what I have been trying to find with no luck. I should of asked on here a week ago and saved myself a lot of time searching.

Thanks again!

PS, Do you know what department to find them in? I have looked at Lowes and Wal Mart where I saw picture hanging items, and did not see them when I was in there. Maybe they have them in some obscure "As seen on tv" section, or ... ? If you can't remember, I will just ask an employee, now that I know what to ask for by name.

You might check in the hardware area or some places might call it Home Improvement, I think. I know I've also seen them in the area where you'll find picture hangers and small household items like that. Good luck, glad I was able to help!!!!!

Old 11-24-2013, 08:36 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,660,036 times
Hercules hooks. My wife hung everything in our old house on them. Solid walls here so we can't use them. She hung some heavy stuff on them too! Shaped kind of like a big fish hook and you just push it through the wall and start hanging.

Hercules Hook Hanger - Amazon.com

For a while we saw them in the "as seen on TV" section at Walmart but haven't seen them for a while. Been too busy looking for another "ove-glove". That sucker is handy in the kitchen!

Old 11-24-2013, 09:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,856,130 times
I find them at Target... in the "As Seen on TV" display.

Old 11-24-2013, 11:25 PM

Well, after looking on Amazon, I found that there are about 3 or 4 major makers and several knock offs. Reviews were good on most, and I noticed that some were thin and some brands were thicker. I ended up finding a nice pack that included 3 different sizes from thin, med and a heavier guage for hanging large objects. The pack of 30 was about $4.95 if anyone needs them; check out Amazon if you don't want to search the stores.

Thanks again for all the help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating