Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 03:12 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,001,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post

Kshegirl - you are very helpful and many of us greatly appreciate your professional input and advice. I always enjoy hearing your viewpoint and the viewpoint of others as well. I don't enjoy sweeping generalities or pronoucements made by some. However, everyone has their opinions and that is what this forum is all about.
Thank you, I stopped posting in this forum for quite a while due to what I was speaking of in an earlier post, I dont care much for being personally attacked, that has happened more than once in this forum......thank goodness that has been stopped.
I try to speak of what I am seeing in my profession, or give a professional when asked, not personal preferences.
But of course, everyone is free to give their own opinion, and I am not infallible.....the day I think I know everything about my business, I'm going to retire, because it wont be fun anymore, design, and learning new things about it, is the most fun I can have, and actually get paid for!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 07:13 PM

57 posts, read 172,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I do remember at least 20 years ago that textured walls were popular where I lived in So. California but they have been completely out of style for many years. Personally I don't like the way they reflect light and I prefer smooth walls. I'm surprised there are still companies doing textured walls.

Kshegirl - you are very helpful and many of us greatly appreciate your professional input and advice. I always enjoy hearing your viewpoint and the viewpoint of others as well. I don't enjoy sweeping generalities or pronoucements made by some. However, everyone has their opinions and that is what this forum is all about.
Yup there are all sorts of textured walls, not all are sprayed, some are done by hand. I spray it on. Most of florida does textured walls and will probably never stop. its saves to much money to texture them then it would to make a wall slick. to smooth walls are just boring and uncreative. I have seen some people do really great work. a guy that did some of the work at the harry potter ride in universal studios did a great job on a wall at this one home i was removing popcorn in. it looked fantastic when it was done.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:35 PM

^Ugh, popcorn, my enemy!
If anyplace I am working on has popcorn, its the first thing to go, as I always paint the ceilings in a room to either go with the colors, or contrast.
Or in the appropriate setting, do fun stuff like this;

Old 01-05-2011, 07:34 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
I am seriously not fond of our popcorn ceilings, but we've left them as-is because we suspect that they're helping disguise some visibly uneven parts of the ceiling, (our house tends to be two parts good and solid construction to one part sloppiness WTF? was the builder thinking.) and that if we took it out, it would actually end up looking wrose.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:39 AM

57 posts, read 172,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
I am seriously not fond of our popcorn ceilings, but we've left them as-is because we suspect that they're helping disguise some visibly uneven parts of the ceiling, (our house tends to be two parts good and solid construction to one part sloppiness WTF? was the builder thinking.) and that if we took it out, it would actually end up looking wrose.

I would probably say that is a fact. thats the whole purpose of popcron. it hides so much crap. We have been removing alot of it in florida.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
I would probably say that is a fact. thats the whole purpose of popcron. it hides so much crap. We have been removing alot of it in florida.
Me too, ick!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:02 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,347,764 times
Well. House Beautiful is arguably the interior design magazine, and it doesn't really have any of what's been discussed here.

Of all of the design trends, the one thing that they all have in common is a sense of naturalism. Especially in American Country. Belgian interiors and European design has made American Country more sophisticated.

Then, glamour is never going to go out of style I'm not a huge Kelly Wearstler fan, but she's one of the designers that was definitely inspired by some of the American greats.

And then, like in fashion, Preppy Americana has been steadily growing. Think Ralph Lauren, Tommy Hilfiger, Lily Pulitzer, and now, Billy Reed. He's all the rage in fashion. I see a lot of that in interiors.

Also, unless it's Venetian plaster done by a professional, I just can't see textured walls being in.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:23 PM

2,325 posts, read 5,509,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
Amen! Just like textured walls, it hides shabby construction. I would NEVER buy a house with any kind of textured walls. They always remind me of cheap suburban 1980's apartments. I'm looking at houses right now and told my agent not to bother showing me anything with textured walls. I'm sticking with Mid-century modern.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:00 PM

79 posts, read 114,043 times
Back to your question: "They say that the interior design trends for 2011 will reflect on family and preserving the past.

What do you think about this observation? I was also wondering if you have any ideas how to implement it practically?"

I don't have knowledge of this as a trend, but do think personal touches of family and past remembrances could add some warmth to contemporary and transitional interiors. How it is implemented could be something very personal, like a collage of family photos from history. We have some great photos taken in the early 1900's and family letters passed down from the 1800's that could be reprinted and the basis of a wall collage. A companion piece with a map showing family time-lines and migration paths across countries and states through history could be beautifully done and meaningful to our children.

I always thought it would be fun to find an antique perambulator here (http://wickerwoman.blogspot.com/2009/11/wednesday-wicker-wisdom-wicker.html - broken link) to use for multi-purposes. It could sit in the kid's room with stuffed animals and then brought out to the front rooms during holidays and celebrations to hold gifts and treasures. It could be a permanent part of the front rooms to hold books, CD's, DVD's, or sit in an entry way with plants. I just like the whimsy of it and am sure I could find somewhere to make use of it.

One idea I saw by a magazine editor from her own home, was an antique couch with beautiful lines that she had recovered in a startling Marimekko black and white tree fabric similar to this (http://www.marimekko.com/collections/interior-decoration/fabrics/upholstery-fabrics/tuuli-upholstery-fabric-190 - broken link). The contrast of the natural wood against the vibrant fabric made a piece I would not forget. This Marimekko ginkgo fabric would be interesting too against an older piece painted white or black. It would take only one great piece of antique furniture recovered this way to give a bland contemporary space some punch. It doesn't even have to be antique. My favorite finds are from consignment stores located near areas with mobile executives or others who update frequently. I've found shopping these stores makes an adventure very different from what is available in new furniture stores, and turnover of merchandise is frequent. Look for a chaise lounge, a couch with great design lines, anything that will add some personality and a hint of history. Then recover it, or assign it a new function to make it your own.

Last edited by frazl; 01-09-2011 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-09-2011, 04:04 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
There are many of us on this forum that decorate with antiques and family pieces (including the display of old family photos) and who repurpose, recover and reuse older things. This is nothing new and literally has been going on for hundreds of years. So the "trend" being talked about really isn't a trend - it is a style of decorating that has always been around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House > Home Interior Design and Decorating