Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,947,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Rumors are they might do Capitals vs Rangers.. but i'd like to see a St Louis vs Minnesota, or a Denver vs Minnesota.

Me too, the Gophers new stadium has been discussed as a venue
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 02:49 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,859,082 times
What about a Montreal vs NY? That would be crazy i'd think.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,237,767 times
I think montreal v NY would be nice

if you went MN you'd probably have to throw in a draw like ovie or a large market team - although I'd be fine with calgary vs one of the midwest teams

Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
The league is now looking into having 2 WC games, one in the U.S., and one in Canada. Not sure if they would both be on the same day.

Whatever happens, I'm sure Buttman will screw it up again. I live for the day they get rid of that guy.
Could he decide to do anything more devisive to ruin the league?!?

Nevermind that hockey was invented in Canada and Canadian teams were part of the Original Six. All of the teams are international, so why can't he see that giving the Canadian teams their due only stengthens the league? So the fact that they sing "O Canada" before the games is only giving lip service (no pun intended) to the Canadian teams/fans Detroit played in one game only, but that didn't stop me from watching the other games. And in fact, I can't stand the NBC broadcasters so I watched them on a Canadian station! If given the option of watching two Canadian teams or having to suffer through NBC, Bettman can write off getting my US market share.

Maybe the owners/GMs/coaches/player's union can talk some sense into him. Brendan Shanahan talked sense once when the players were locked out, maybe we should write him a letter and send him to see Bettman!

Old 01-05-2010, 04:07 PM

with all due respect the NHL isn't targeting you with this game

they're not targeting me either (heck, I rewatched the heritage classic on the NHL network recently)

they're targeting the casual american TV viewer - one who has an interest in sports, pulled in by spectacle and maybe an interest in hockey

they are trying to get them to turn the TV to the game on a day when many people are nursing their hangovers and watching sports

the ratings are down from last year, but both this years and last years classic have ratings on par with games 1 & 2 of the stanley cup finals (which put up a huge game 7 #)

they have to use the smallest hook possible to lure the hockey fans ..... they need as big of a net as possible to grab the american public which is where the $$$ is

Old 01-05-2010, 04:28 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,456,515 times
So now the WC has to be in a historical baseball stadium? Boy, ol' Buttman has really wormed his way into some of your brains.

They better not put it at Yankee Stadium next year. If they do I hope it's 55 degrees and raining the day of the game, and I will not watch it.

Buttman is such a moron. I watched a couple of the goals that were scored in last weeks game, and you could barely hear the crowds responses because they were so far away from the rink. The setup looked completely ridiculous, as did the one last year at Wrigley.

So it's all about TV ratings and money, and that's why they're choosing these baseball parks? That just shows you how dumb Buttman really is. Who in their right mind thinks it's cool to see fans in the Fenway center field bleachers a mile from the ice? They'd get every bit of those ratings, money and then some if they played this game in football stadiums, which are symmetrical with a hockey rink, and can allow an extra 40 or 50 thousand fans to attend the game each year. That's right......MORE FANS would get to attend! God forbid we think about the actual fans of the NHL, right?? Buttman already crapped the bed on his chance to stage the biggest hockey showcase of all time when he blew off the Toronto/Detroit matchup at Michigan Stadium that so many fans were hoping for in favor of Detroit/Chicago at broken down, puny Wrigley Field. People are wowed by big crowds. Why do you think Jerry Jones built that monolith for the Cowboys?

Buttman......that guy just sucks. Wouldn't it be great if they were actually grooming Shanahan to replace him?

Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,356,000 times
And as long as hockey fans and players and so on right up the line do nothing, nothing will change. Maybe nothing would even if they did, but we'll never know, will we? And so we'll just go on complaining about Bettman and Bettman will go on doing as he pleases.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:10 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,859,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I think montreal v NY would be nice

if you went MN you'd probably have to throw in a draw like ovie or a large market team
Really? I thought MN was one of the largest markets in the NHL. They seem to still be selling out all their games despite their rough record.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:59 PM

they sell out for sure - but ask someone in NY, philly, boston, chicago to name 2 players on the wild and you'd get a hard look

even when they had guys like gaborik their system under lemaire just wasn't going to draw a large audience

now that both are gone it's tough

the twin cities aren't that large of a market, they lack star power and are pretty isolated ..... the state exudes hockey and the local following is passionate

i just don't know if it would excite the coasts

Old 01-06-2010, 12:31 AM

6,183 posts, read 6,082,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Twins have a new stadium opening next year.

It is no less historic than new Busch Stadium in STL.
I totally forgot the Cardinals built a new stadium
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Hockey